Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tonyjg

Where Has The Blu Gone ? It's Oh So Quiet In 2012 !

57 posts in this topic

There hasnt been many releases that have excited me recently and i've actually found myself watching less and less movies at home as im busy with renovations. Im sure its a cyclical thing and ill get re-enthused down the track.

I emailed Amazon UK a little while ago, delicately expressing my disappointment at the end of free shipping, and asking when it would return. The response was apologetic, with no plans to reintroduce at this stage, but would pass on my disappointment to sales areas or something. Anyway, maybe if enough of us do this, it might help :)

I emailed Amazon UK a little while ago, delicately expressing my disappointment at the end of free shipping, and asking when it would return. The response was apologetic, with no plans to reintroduce at this stage, but would pass on my disappointment to sales areas or something. Anyway, maybe if enough of us do this, it might help :)

Have also done so and received (likely) the same response.

Not to mention JB had removed the 2 for 30 and 2 for 30 sales and also seem to have upped the price on every blu ray by $5-10 on top of that. I do not even bother going in there at those prices.

I have 13 BD's in my Amazon UK basket, lots of releases on 20/27th February and 7th March. With no free shipping I reverted to my original process of bundling as many together as I can. I don't preorder anything as the freight easily wipes out any price advantage from doing so.

I'm not sure whether this is good or bad for Amazon, I probably buy around the same number of BD's per annum, but instead of one order a month it's now one every 3 months or so. Not preordering probably screws up their initail purchase quantiites, then I screw with them some more by ordering just after release. That must have some effect on them otherwise they wouldn't have lower preorder prices. I don't know whether it's enough to entice them into bringing back free shipping for us poor folk out in the colonies.

Cheers

Gary

I have 13 BD's in my Amazon UK basket, lots of releases on 20/27th February and 7th March. With no free shipping I reverted to my original process of bundling as many together as I can. I don't preorder anything as the freight easily wipes out any price advantage from doing so.

I'm not sure whether this is good or bad for Amazon, I probably buy around the same number of BD's per annum, but instead of one order a month it's now one every 3 months or so. Not preordering probably screws up their initail purchase quantiites, then I screw with them some more by ordering just after release. That must have some effect on them otherwise they wouldn't have lower preorder prices. I don't know whether it's enough to entice them into bringing back free shipping for us poor folk out in the colonies.

Cheers

Gary

Nice move Gary ;just changed my Hugo pre order as it was delayed so took advantage of them separating the other 3 bds ordered and clued them in -

decided to combine with tintin 3d later to save shipping as free delivery to Australia has ceased

If the prices are higher after release I can wait or rent :ninja:

Not to mention JB had removed the 2 for 30 and 2 for 30 sales and also seem to have upped the price on every blu ray by $5-10 on top of that. I do not even bother going in there at those prices.

no competition from amazon now is there ! if I didnt still have some jb vouchers probably wouldnt bother going back there ! bigw has done some good pricing of late eg lady and the tramp. its just their stores are so hopelessly organised and with literally no stock ever so not a great option either !

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1329821500' post='1783141]

no competition from amazon now is there ! if I didnt still have some jb vouchers probably wouldnt bother going back there ! bigw has done some good pricing of late eg lady and the tramp. its just their stores are so hopelessly organised and with literally no stock ever so not a great option either !

probably true but weren't jb claiming profits were down 9% or something? noone will be shopping there at all at current prices!

The days of huge discounts may be coming to an end. Think of every retail business that has gone belly up or in dire trouble and the common thread is no service but cheap prices. As the public has become more accustomed to discounting the discounts have had to become bigger to entice us to open our wallets. This spirals to a situation where turnover must be huge to cover over heads, particularly for B&M stores. Volumes have decreased across the entire retail sector and the big discounts can no longer survive.

Even in my own industry the stores doing discount merchandice are in trouble. The guys offering service and exclusive or quality product for a fair price are the ones doing well.

Many think the days of B&M stores are numbered. What will happen to prices once they disappear and the online stores have gotten ride of their competition? Be careful what you wish for.

The days of huge discounts may be coming to an end. Think of every retail business that has gone belly up or in dire trouble and the common thread is no service but cheap prices. As the public has become more accustomed to discounting the discounts have had to become bigger to entice us to open our wallets. This spirals to a situation where turnover must be huge to cover over heads, particularly for B&M stores. Volumes have decreased across the entire retail sector and the big discounts can no longer survive.

Even in my own industry the stores doing discount merchandice are in trouble. The guys offering service and exclusive or quality product for a fair price are the ones doing well.

Many think the days of B&M stores are numbered. What will happen to prices once they disappear and the online stores have gotten ride of their competition? Be careful what you wish for.

What I experience is "no service and expensive prices"

It's ridiculous that I can buy stuff cheaper at retail plus freight from the US than the B&M stores get the same stuff for wholesale. They need to lift their game when it comes to negotiating prices with manufacturers. Combine that with paying Westfields a lot less exhorbitant rent and they might just be able to compete.

Cheers

Gary

What I experience is "no service and expensive prices"

It's ridiculous that I can buy stuff cheaper at retail plus freight from the US than the B&M stores get the same stuff for wholesale. They need to lift their game when it comes to negotiating prices with manufacturers. Combine that with paying Westfields a lot less exhorbitant rent and they might just be able to compete.

Cheers

Gary

You need to shop at different stores then! At least I get service.

I think you might be surprised to know just how small our market is. I'm a wholesaler and I can't negotiate decent prices largely because our volume is not worth worrying about on a global scale and the distributors have single retail clients who buy more than all of Australia, especially on exclusive type products. It also seems that apart from the large "box mover" market in Oz that AV retailers use the distributors to buy items often 1 at a time and then expect credit. Can you blame a wholesaler who has a huge warehouse full of merchandise for wanting a decent chunk of the profits if they are the ones taking all the risk and supplying warranty?

Why should a retailer make big margins if the box comes in the back door and out the front into the consumers car?

Australian retail rents are the highest in the world, partially because our real estate is still largely unaffected by the GFC and there are always businesses willing to pay those rents.

Edited by blybo

You need to shop at different stores then! At least I get service.
It's a generalisation of course, but compared to the retail shopping I have done O/S, the service levels here are crap.
I think you might be surprised to know just how small our market is. I'm a wholesaler and I can't negotiate decent prices largely because our volume is not worth worrying about on a global scale and the distributors have single retail clients who buy more than all of Australia, especially on exclusive type products.
I have stopped buying from a number of manufacturers, I buy retail from O/S. When they call me up I tell them exactly that. My largest supplier has world wide pricing, I pay the same here as in India, China and the US. That's why he's my largest supplier, the company that was my largest supplier doesn’t have world wide pricing, I could actually buy their product cheaper in Korea than I could here, and the stuff was made here.

The time has long gone where a manufacturer can use one country to subsidise another, the prices are too easily passed around the world. For example, my local tyre retailer, part of a national franchise, is $10K a week better off buying retail from the US than buying from the local manufacturer/distributor wholesaler. That's just ridiculous and unsustainable, not to mention totally illogical. At first he used to hide it from the supply chain, now, after I suggested it, he tells anyone and everyone. As a result the gap is closing, some tyre brands/sizes are now 50% cheaper than they were last year.

It also seems that apart from the large "box mover" market in Oz that AV retailers use the distributors to buy items often 1 at a time and then expect credit
Everyone expects credit.
Can you blame a wholesaler who has a huge warehouse full of merchandise for wanting a decent chunk of the profits if they are the ones taking all the risk and supplying warranty?
I demand manufacturer’s warranty both as consumer and a wholesaler. Otherwise the customer gets screwed with lousy service because there’s nothing in it for the distributor/wholesaler so they cost cut on the warranty.
Why should a retailer make big margins if the box comes in the back door and out the front into the consumers car?
Exactly.
Australian retail rents are the highest in the world, partially because our real estate is still largely unaffected by the GFC and there are always businesses willing to pay those rents.

Frank Lowy is rich enough, I don’t need to make him any richer.

Cheers

Gary

No real bargains. No deals.

For me it's; No titles.

I've suspended my BD rental sub again too.

Waiting on new living room furniture, which should arrive next week - so hoping that'll encourage more sitting, rather than the more active stuff i've miraculously motivated myself to do this Summer..

Put off both the LOTR & SW trilogies until I can sit in comfort (that's 5 months since purchase!)

I'll be a laz-e-boy (plug!) again soon.

btw, anyone want to buy a near-new black, leather recliner? (i'll edit this if inappropriate)...

strange if even there are releases, nto sure the go but aint getting to the shelves ! wheres 'the hunter' for example ..perhaps theyre trying to recreate the movie so you feel like your looking for a tassie tiger in the tassie wilderness ! :lol:

There can't be any money in BD's for the retailers because they don't commit much space to the format. Look how many titles are now in the market yet just a small percenatge actually make it to shelves.

I have given up shopping for disks locally because the range is so limited, particularly for music BD's which I love.

I am also on here alot less. I have most of the BD's I wanted and rarely even go in the trade thread now. What does seem to make it in there is not the stuff I would chase.

There just does not seem to be be much going on with the BD format in general, certainly not locally anyway.

sounds like we heading to end up like the US pity, the B&M stores including the giant chain stores just cant compete with the likes of amazon there. end up wiht the ludicrous situation where just cant go out pick up a disc looking for. have to order it online and then wait for it to turn up in the mail !

Looks like there may be one less store to buy from soon with Wow going into administration, I have only purchsed from them once when they had that super cheap Back to the future special a while back.

http://www.theage.co...0227-1ty57.html

I just noticed a small story on this in today's Sydney Telegraph - Business Section. $20m bad debt, 15 stores and 500 employees.

Noted that it had suffered declining sales in a consumer environment characterised by heavy discounting. With respect to this last point - what can any retail store do to 'compete' in such an environment ?? It's noticable to myself that JB has been opening more stores in Sydney (pointlessly opening one at Taren Point / Caringbah close to the Miranda store, and re-opening at Bankstown). Then there are 3 stores here in the city cannabilising each other.

I wonder where JB will be at come the end of 2012 - more stores, or less ??

Edited by tonyjg

I think you will find that JB are deliberately proliferating their stores in order to drive out competition (like WOW) ... once done they will scale back and hike prices.

This model has been used many times before by the big retail chains with regard to fruit & veg shops, Bread Shops, Butchers etc ..... BlockBuster also used the same model in the mid 90's to drive out competition.