Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rareairunc

New Cheap Led Tv 3D

8 posts in this topic

hi, im looking into possibly upgrading my bedroom tv. ive been a plasma fan for years but im wanting to try led and possibly passive 3d. the brands im looking at are tcl and teac. i know they are cheap/crap brand wise but its all i need for how much i use it. the passive 3d would be cool for the gaming(ps3) and the usb media players would be very handy. i think it is also a cheap way to put a foot in the door of 3d. has anyone had a look at or own one of the below units? unfortunately none of my locals stock these two units. the teac offers a good option because of the built in blu ray player, the wife would approve because of no extra cables for blu ray player or usb media player. once again i know the brands are not well reconised as top quality units, but i just want to know if anyone has any horror stories on these particular models or on the other hand good reviews?

thanks for your help

http://www.teac.com.au/ProductDetails.aspx?ModelNumber=LEBD4220FHD3D

http://tclelectronics.com.au/product.asp?pid=91&cid=43

Not relevant to these particular models, but my 42" Teac LCD is coming up to 6 years old, with almost daily use and hasnt skipped a beat.

It would. Did you have one? Hopefully not a horror story to counterbalance what I just wrote :P

Mine is basically a family room/kitchen area TV now, to watch the news on etc while im cooking, but gets a fair bit of Xbox use also.

no never had one, i actually work in a electrical retailer and this was one of the few teac lcd tvs that seemed to stand the test of time and have a very nice picture for its time. analogue was the only downside to it i think.

Yep, pre-digital tuner, but a PVR solves that and adds a lot more flexibility! The picture is nice and bright, with a good level of pop, which is a must for the room its in, but black levels suffer as a result.

Have you considered a LG 42lw5700, with local backlight dimming? Around $850 would be doable. An inbuilt BR player (on the TEAC) might be asking for troubles if disk-related firmwares are not overly forthcoming.

Edited by davep

I dislike lg with a passion after many bad experiences in my shop with service,reliability,tech support etc. wouldnt touch lg with a 10ft pole. thnaks though for the suggestion

I am leaning towards the tcl, just thought id ask the question again anyone had experiences with this particular model in any size?

cheers