Sign in to follow this  
beeblebrox

Now This Is A Nice Box!

Checkout the latest from Dish network,

sure it's paytv but compared to the paltry offerings we get here it's pretty neat.

Dish now have their Hopper and Joeys, full pvr and media distribution around the home.

it's got some nice features like the fact you can pause what you're watching in the lounge room and start playing it from where you left off in the bedroom, a built in remote finder, a primetime capture where it captures all the main channels in primetime...with a couple of terabyte in the box I suppose they can afford to do that

Both Dish and Direct pay networks offer a very basic system for your subscription fee. Everything else is a

"Pay For" add on. So while it all sounds wonderful, You will be paying a high price once you add up all the bits

Things are really hopping and its all because of the hopper...?

Must admit I was impressed at how the guy ran through the features. Everytime I've seen that done with any tech gear you always hit a point where the interviewer asks a difficult question or the tech misbehaves.

Interesting that prime time in the US starts at 8pm - or is that Prime Time

Be interesting to see how the multiroom join in feature works, I had visions of the people in the main room joining the bedroom channel and then having a fight out with their remotes as each wanted to do different things.

Being able to create your own channels seems an obvious and excellant approach. Much better than the cumbersome 'Favourites' we've only seen. They're really only good for hiding all unwanted channels.

Also notable is that the unit uses just one tuner to record the four major networks. I always thought it made much more sense to fit ABC, SBS, 7, 9, 10 (main channel) into a single mux. Perhaps their HD channels into a second mux, etc. That way a single tuner PVR could record all five major stations at once. Pity.

Looking online it seems packages start at $80 a month so I'd imagine the premium services could top $200.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Both Dish and Direct pay networks offer a very basic system for your subscription fee. Everything else is a

"Pay For" add on. So while it all sounds wonderful, You will be paying a high price once you add up all the bits

I had to watch direct tv for a month while over in the us some time ago. Yep 99 channels of trash and nothing to watch. Worse still they repeating the trash over and over again ! And then to add insult to injury the pq and sq is equally [email protected] ! :lol:

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1327790908' post='1776923]

I had to watch direct tv for a month while over in the us some time ago. Yep 99 channels of trash and nothing to watch. Worse still they repeating the trash over and over again ! And then to add insult to injury the pq and sq is equally [email protected] ! :lol:

you went to the States for that ?

we get that right here , its called AUSTAR

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By maxtothe
      I have a specific requirement for an STB.
      It must support Freeview Plus, and it must be able to access all the provided catch-up content of all FTA channels. It must have the option of output via red-yellow-white connectors (is that 'composite'?).
      I would prefer the capacity to record either on internal disk or an external device via USB, but this is not essential.
      I will not accept downloaded catch-up content in which the audio plays out-of-sync.
      So if I watch a streaming catch-up program on my computer (over my cable internet connection) in which the audio is in sync, I expect the STB to deliver the same program with the same quality. I have already returned an STB which did not meet this requirement.
      Is there ANYBODY who can tell me that they have an STB which meets these requirements?

• By Soporose
      Hi guys.
      I have two old analog TVs and two STBs. It would be great if I could get just one pair going -- two would be a real bonus.
      Unfortunately being on a pension means I can't just lash out and buy new stuff, so I've got the try hard to make do with what I've got. Unfortunately I don't have instructions and I don't know anything about making the necessary connections. Hoping someone here can help me with that.
      The backs of the various units look like this:

The bottom pic is the cable for the big plug on the back of the DGTEC STB. The 6-strand cable splits into two parts as shown in the image.
      As you can see both STB's have HDMI outputs but neither of the TVs does.
      To make thinks just a little more difficult, it's possible that one of the STB is doesn't work. Don't know for sure, but it's a possibility.
      I guess it's probably simple enough if you know how these plug & socket colours are supposed to match up, but I don't.
      Any help much appreciated.
    • By dean70
      For Sale: Homecast HT5000 HD Set Top Box. Includes a Toslink optical cable and a Kordz DVI->HDMI cable.
      Excellent condition, about 5 years old.
      $200.00

This box features DVI video output (HDMI without audio), Dolby SPDIF Optical output, true 16:9 or 4:3 video output. It also features standard composite, S-Video, SCART and RGB
      analogue video outputs for older TV's or Home Theater applications.
      DVI is the only true digital output source for the highest quality video on Plasma and LCD TV's as well as projectors. DVI is simply HDMI without audio integrated into one
      cable. If your TV only has HDMI you can purchase a DVI to HDMI cable and use separate audio cables without any problem. Resolutions supported are 1080i, 720p, 576p and 576i
      DVI also allows you to connect a normal computer monitor which has DVI input to the HT5000 converting your computer monitor into a High Definition television.
      Key Features:
      -SPDIF Optical Digital Out for clear digital sound
      -DVI Output for high quality video
      -MPEG-2 Digital & Fully DVB Complaint
      -Uses the latest ATI Xilleon chip set with 300MHz clock speed.
      -Variable aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:9 and letterbox
      -Capacity to store 4000 Free to air channels
      -Teletext and subtitles supported
      -EPG (Electronic Program Guide)
      -Thomson tuner for high sensitivity
      -Favourite channel list
    • By g12345567
      I currently have a highlander DH-2826 HD set top box with usb pvr function. After around 2 years of use I am looking to replace it becuae I am sick and tired of the poor support for mkv and mp4 x264 videos where alot of the videos in this format I try refuse to play correctly. Even though the box claims it has support for formats.
      What I need to get is a hd set top box or PVR with the following features.
      USB HDD media playback of AVI, x264 MKV and MP4 media
      USB HDD NTFS support.
      HD set top box with USB PVR or true twin tuner PVR with Internal hard drive.
      Web site for support and firmware updates.
      Haven't been keeping up with set top boxes and pvrs so any advice on what to look for would be appreciated.
    • By Irena
      Advice please. Purchased the above STB ages ago but didn't open it till now. Found the remote is missing and now have no comeback. Searched eBay - no results. Also Googled; 1 or 2 possibilities for replacement, though don't appear to be genuine Kaon remote.
      Question for the knowledgeable folks - would you throw good money after bad and buy a replacement controller, or should I just replace / chuck the box and get a current model?
      If the latter, any suggestions on what to buy?
      Also, any intelligence on what the govt is going to do about the analog to digital problem? I believe Gillard is going to give everyone a STB but that sound ludicrous when the new TVs will be around the same price. Will be interesting, as I have 5 TVs in the house.
      Thanks,
      Irena