Sign in to follow this  
keioffice

Reception Issues In Sydney

Hi guys

Would like some help here I've been having major issues with this DTV tuner (for my car) I've purchased, everyone (or most at least) seem to be able to pick up all channels or at least a majority of them.

My issue is that I can't pick up anything except TVS and SBS HD (2-3 of them) but no 7, 9, 11 etc.

The antennas pick up TVS/SBS pretty fast, I had a look at some other earlier threads and found that smaller antennas pick up UHF(i think?) signals easier and you need larger ones to pick up the others.. I cant pick anything except TVS/SBS even when I'm stationary on the road in front of my house..

The thing is, majority (probably 90% as an estimate) of people who use the same system get all channels and they are in Sydney, Melbourne, Adel and Brisbane.. my house has no issues with reception in the area.

I've placed one on the right side rear windscreen and one on the left side passenger side front windscreen..

I really dont know what to do as and its really frustrating as I'm not sure what options I have. I have measured the voltage at the connectors for the antennas and they are indeed powered with 12-13.7V but sitll not able to pick up a signal.

Does anyone have any ideas at all or suggestions on who I can get to look at it??

Here are the antennas for reference, they are the exact same ones as pictured:

817aeeb040566f43467092f894d3ff2b.jpg

Edited by keioffice

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Ron12
      With all the discussion about whether 7Flix has lower picture and audio quality, what is the situation in the UK?
      In the UK there are 5 SD multiplexes and 3 HD multiplexes. The SD multiplexes are 24 or 27 Mbit/s DVB/MPEG2 and could have a dozen or even 20 TV channels and possibly some radio channels all on the one multiplex. The HD multiplexes are 40 MBits DVB2/MPEG4 and have a smaller number of HD channels on them (and maybe some SD ones as well).
      With so many channels sharing a single SD multiplex and using MPEG2, what is the audio/video quality like?
    • By confusedtv
      Hello DTV community,
      We've constantly had unreliable reception in Richmond NSW since DTV started despite the MySwitch page indicating we should have "good coverage". By and large, we live with the issue (until we can afford to get a reliable antenna professional to visit), however I was hoping for a bit of help and advice on the following issue:
      Most of the time Channel 9 has no signal- in these cases both Ten and Seven are clear. But on the occasions that Channel 9 does decide transmit properly either Ten or Seven will then drop out.
      Any ideas? And does this indicate what our general issue with reception might be?
      Cheers in advance (and a happy new year),
      Confused
    • By et tu Brute
      Good points MLXXX, a few people stopped getting excited about this forum due to the stupidity of others. Forum moderators are responsible for this mainly, I've also seen much advice and no field experience coming from said person. I don't like being told "remember" hey I do this job everyday. I have some great friends who are former broadcast engineers. I like to study different products to come up with viable solutions to simple issues. But I know I can be arrogant hence my comment about my experience the ones on here that seem to know the most only use it when necessary and with discernment, rather than pretending to be an authority.
    • By et tu Brute
      Our reception for all channels goes from okay one moment to zilch for a day or so and revert to okay. This has been going on for the last 3 weeks. Left voice mail for our antennae repairer last week and still waiting for a call back. We are within 1.5km line of sight from the Bruxner Park Transmission towers, but too far away (26km?) From Mt. Moobil to the South of Coffs. Some days only the ABC and SBS channels are being received and tonight we are only getting the ABC1 channel, somewhat pixelated. Coincidently perhaps, but we have notice a drop in performance from Bruxner Park after each upgrade, particularly since the introduction of the shopping channels & the racing channel (68). I wouldn't have thought these mattered considering our close proximity to the transmission tower. Prior to the shutdown of the analogue services and the first major overhaul, our reception was first class on all channels.
      If anyone else locally receiving their signals from Bruxner Park, I would be interested in hearing from you regarding the quality of service you are receiving.
      Cheers
    • By et tu Brute
      Our reception for all channels goes from okay one moment to zilch for a day or so and revert to okay. This has been going on for the last 3 weeks. Left voice mail for our antennae repairer last week and still waiting for a call back. We are within 1.5km line of sight from the Bruxner Park Transmission towers, but too far away (26km?) From Mt. Moobil to the South of Coffs. Some days only the ABC and SBS channels are being received and tonight we are only getting the ABC1 channel, somewhat pixelated. Coincidently perhaps, but we have notice a drop in performance from Bruxner Park after each upgrade, particularly since the introduction of the shopping channels & the racing channel (68). I wouldn't have thought these mattered considering our close proximity to the transmission tower. Prior to the shutdown of the analogue services and the first major overhaul, our reception was first class on all channels.
      If anyone else locally receiving their signals from Bruxner Park, I would be interested in hearing from you regarding the quality of service you are receiving.
      Cheers
    • By marchino61
      I have been using to DAB in Perth for more than 4 years. I live in East Victoria Park.
      I most often listen to three ABC stations: News Radio, Radio National and 720 Perth. I have two receivers, one upstairs in my bedroom and the other downstairs.
      Until the last 3 or 4 week, I had flawless reception. Now I get regular drop outs on all three stations, sometimes lasting more than 1 minute, on both radios.
      Is anyone aware of any issue which would have caused these problems to flare up in the last few weeks? Is anyone else having the same problem?
    • By danieljohnyoung
      We live in Tempe.
      Using the aerial port and antennae on the house we get good signal for ABC channels but nothing else.
      So I added an internal antennae and amplifier.
      Depending on where it is located, I can now get fairly strong signal for everything except the ABC channels.
      Can someone please explain?
      Our neighbours report that they get good digital signal.
    • By Malich
      Continued from here...
      Just got around to reading it. Well, attempting to read it...
      Wow - you're not wrong at all, are you? That 'article' really is an extended version of a typical Alan Hughes post; a pile of weird claims, incorrect statements, and opinion emphatically delivered as "must"-do's. All of which is glued together with a thin layer of information cobbled from ACMA, MySwitch, and other freely available and accurate sources, before being mixed up into a near-incomprehensible mess with no flow and little structure. None of it shows any sign of the expansive technical knowledge often claimed by Alan.
      Technically - and even allowing for the over-simplification necessary when communicating to a broad readership in a limited word-count - there's identifiable mistakes or straight-out falsehoods in 50%~75% of paragraphs. Overall, the thing is a mess, and I pity the poor editorial person at SC who obviously just threw up their hands and said "stuff it; we've got a deadline & we'll just have to print it as-is".
      Good to see, though, that Alan has at least publicly admitted that "There has been no decision by the DBCDE/ACMA as to whether [community TV stations] will be restacked to transmission channel 10, ... [continuing with a strange & convoluted run-on sentence that fills up a whole paragraph]" (3rd page, final para). That is something of a backflip from his multiple previous claims that community TV will move to VHF 10 (e.g. here, here, here, here, etc) - claims that were not supported by any evidence from ACMA.
      At the time Alan also claimed his unique interpretation was provided to him by "the Head of Community TV at the ACMA". As far as readers of this forum know, Alan still stands by his statements of last December / January. Maybe the "Head of Community TV at the ACMA" has had a quiet word with him in the meantime and corrected him?
      Regardless of how he came to change his mind, I'm looking forward to Alan finally admitting that his previous multiple posts & comments on the subject were all wrong and based on nothing more than his failure to read and comprehend the TLAPs & ICPs.
      Or is Alan's frequent statement that "I admit when I am wrong" (e.g. here, here, here, etc) itself another one of his unsupportable claims?
      (Alan: should you wish to improve any future article submissions, I'm available for editorial and technical oversight, input, and proofreading at my standard rates. Cash up front for you though...)
    • By Drum32
      I am watching TV broadcast from Tuggeranong Hill. I am getting a poor quality signal from PrimeTV, especially in bad weather.
      The ABC and SBS are perfect – always 100%/100% signal quality and strength. TEN is usually 80%/90% and WIN 70%/80%. But Prime is usually 40%/80%. So, in high winds or rain, Prime becomes unwatchable – video goes heavily pixelated and sound chops in and out. Sometimes, the PVR can' get enough signal to show anything. Yet, signal strength is still up to 80%.
      Can anyone suggest why Prime's signal quality is so much poorer than the others ?
      Thanks.
      Garry
    • By zandahar
      Long time lurker but just got asked a question and thought no better place to post it. Friend of mine is having a huge number of double story units being built right behind them which appears to have just completely toasted any of the tv signal. The timing matches perfectly with the top level going up and the bricks and roof being done. He has an external antenna relatively new and been working fine and has tried pulling a new run of cable but no difference. Even tried a powered booster suposedly and no dice. Thought it may have been the TV originally so bought a new one and same deal.
      If you can rule everything else out and looks to be the new building impacting the signal is there anything that can be done ? By that I mean approaching someone and logging a complaint and who knows maybe make the developer pay to put up a mast for the antenna ? Even without pursuing the jumping up and down route any other suggestions ? Relocating the antenna is a possibility but by the description of the layout and position of the two properties its unlikely to help.