blairy

Bluray 3d Movie

38 posts in this topic

I hesitated to acquire the 3D Blu-ray of Terminator Genisys. The movie had had very poor reports on Rottten Tomatoes both from critics and from the general public. See http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/terminator_genisys/?search=genisy

The critics consensus currently reads:

Mired in its muddled mythology, Terminator: Genisys is a lurching retread that lacks the thematic depth, conceptual intelligence, or visual thrills that launched this once-mighty franchise.

But I am a diehard Terminator fan, and commited 3D fan, and went ahead with the purchase anyway. I'm glad I did: quite acceptable escapist entertainment, though below par for a Terminator movie.

It's pretty much an action movie with plenty of special effects, and not a great deal of character development.

I found the conversion to 3D to be of good quality.

Edited by MLXXX

Does anyone know if there are 3d movies with the effect outside the tv instat of only into tv?

Not sure what you mean but I watched the beginning of Transformers Age of Distinction yesterday and all of the 3D effects came close to the end of my nose, I was almost tempted to brush things away, rocks, baby dinosaurs, seed pods etc.. Very well done. I'm waiting for a new Centre Channel Speaker platform before I watch it and Mad Max Fury Rd.. It's going to be a long ten days or so.

Not sure what you mean but I watched the beginning of Transformers Age of Distinction yesterday and all of the 3D effects came close to the end of my nose, I was almost tempted to brush things away, rocks, baby dinosaurs, seed pods etc.. Very well done. I'm waiting for a new Centre Channel Speaker platform before I watch it and Mad Max Fury Rd.. It's going to be a long ten days or so.

3D these days tends to be the complete opposite of that. They seem to add depth into the picture rather than poke you in the face with it. Which is IMO a much better look and feel. But that's Bay all over isn't. Only wonder what could have been with someone else at the helm of this franchise.....

Whether Ive been conditioned over time I think theres a bit of a dichotomy between cgi animation type movies [expect more pop out - even disney ones like tangled ] and live action types [ depth in the frame more important]

I confess I do like pop out when well done and in context like some scenes in Gravity ; besides who doesnt like a giant tyranosaurus head inches away :hyper:

I just received Finding Nemo 3D from JBHiFi but the package only contains one disk even though the blu ray cover and slip show its a 2 disc set.. Has anyone had this happen to them?

I just received Finding Nemo 3D from JBHiFi but the package only contains one disk even though the blu ray cover and slip show its a 2 disc set.. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Does it say double play on the cover (bluray 3d and bluray) then I'd think just one disc. If it says 2 disc's (bluray and dvd) then take it back

Wow, that was really good, highly recommended,

Space & 3D, Ridley Scott how can you go wrong

Yes, I watched it last night, I think it's my favourite 3D movie so far. Wonderful picture quality, great sound, the time just seemed to vanish while I was watching it, very absorbing.

Yes, I watched it last night, I think it's my favourite 3D movie so far. Wonderful picture quality, great sound, the time just seemed to vanish while I was watching it, very absorbing.

Ha, I watched Despicable Me for the first time last night in 3D and thought it's effects were way better than The Martian :)

I'll have to convince the wife to take a look as she did like Gravity, but has refused to watch any other 3D films ... I've been buying the 3D versions, but have not had a chance to watch them.

I'll have to convince the wife to take a look as she did like Gravity, but has refused to watch any other 3D films ... I've been buying the 3D versions, but have not had a chance to watch them.

I'm not sure about other projectors but I read the manual for the JVC 3D glasses the other day and noticed you can watch 3D films but set an individual pair of glasses to present in 2D. 3D for him and 2D for her; granted the 2D still requires the glasses to be worn.

I'm not sure about other projectors but I read the manual for the JVC 3D glasses the other day and noticed you can watch 3D films but set an individual pair of glasses to present in 2D. 3D for him and 2D for her; granted the 2D still requires the glasses to be worn.

WOW! I'll have to look into that ... it;s not likely to help as it's the glasses my wife objects to.

WOW! I'll have to look into that ... it;s not likely to help as it's the glasses my wife objects to.

Good heavens, why? I wear spectacles and slip the 3D glasses over the specs. No problems at all, what problem does she have?

Galapagos 3D, written and presented by Sir David Attenborough, was released on Blu-ray in late 2013. (I've only seen it myself very recently.) There are three episodes that run one after the other on the Blu-ray: Origin, Adapation, and Evolution. Wikipedia describes the Galapagos 3D episodes in detail here.

There is the trademark David Attenborough combination of intelligent commentary and cutting-edge photography.

This is a delightful series of nature documentaries captured in 3D, not converted from 2D. 3D is used to good effect at various distances with different spacing (inter-axial distance) of the two camera lenses:

• A very short inter-axial was used for closeups of spiders, centipedes, bees and other small creatures. The 3D photography enables you to appreciate the proportioning of these creatures, and their movement, in a way that is impossible with a simple microscope.
  • A normal, human, inter-axial distance was used for most of the photography. [some of these "normal" shots look to me a little exaggerated in their 3D effect.] There are some wonderful shots of the famous tortoises of the Galápagos Islands, and of other animals that have adapted remarkably to the challenges of the archipelago, including iguanas and pelicans.
  • For long distance scenes such as capture from an aircraft, a wide inter-axial distance was used. We see the landscape in 3D as a giant would see it. Wider inter-axials are also used for some of the underwater shots.

Each of the three episodes includes interesting time lapse sequences; and cleverly done animated diagrams, demonstrating changes over geological and evolutionary timescales.

This series (in 2D and 480p) is available on Netflix Australia, and quite watchable at that limited resolution and without the benefit of 3D. However the 1080p 3D Blu-ray version provides an exceptional visual feast (and the very good sound quality of the carefully selected orchestral music that accompanies the presentation adds to the experience).

These episodes offer close-up views of life on land and under water, that most of us will never see in real life, even in zoos or aquariums. The 3D effect provides a realism that is palpable. For anyone who enjoys nature documentaries, I would strongly recommend this 3D Blu-ray.

(Those keen on this type of material might wish to consider purchasing this and two other Attenborough 3D Blu-rays as a set. The other two titles in the David Attenborough "3D Collection" are Kingdom of Plants 3D and Micro Monsters 3D. I regret I haven't viewed either of those as yet, but plan to do so in the near future!)

Edited by MLXXX

The other two titles in the David Attenborough "3D Collection" are Kingdom of Plants 3D and Micro Monsters 3D.

We have now watched the Kingdom of Plants 3D Blu-ray, primarily shot at the famous botanical gardens in London, opened in 1759, Kew Gardens. Absolutely superb. Enthralling! Close-up shots with such detail. Fascinating time-lapse shots. Clever animations/diagrams. The usual Attenborough flair in the commentary.

I thought I'd make a few comments about the display we're been using to watch these 3D Blu-rays at home. It's a 2015 year 65" 4k Sony LCD panel (KD-65X9000C) which uses a film-type patterned retarder for passive 3D. Initially I was taken aback by the level of 3D ghosting from this panel, but by experimenting with the height of the panel (relative to seating height) and by slightly increasing the viewing distance beyond what I'd otherwise have used I was able to achieve a 3D picture that for a great deal of source material is free of any ghosting that is too distracting. These Attenborough 3D Blu-rays fall into that category with only very occasional ghosting becoming noticeable. I should point out that the set puts out a very high level of brightness when operating in 3D mode and provides a high level of contrast. In fact the set looks just as bright with 3D glasses on as it does with [non-HDR] 2D material without the wearing of 3D glasses. (It is perhaps no wonder that a bit of ghosting is apparent. A doubt has been raised in mind as to whether film-type patterned retarders in combination with polarised glasses would be adequate technology for any move to HDR 3D.)

This brightness we have been experiencing at home with 3D viewing of this set is not, I have found, provided at the average suburban theatre (in Brisbane at least). At a public cinema yesterday I was able to watch the latest Star Trek movie in 3D, Star Trek Beyond. Although the minimum black level was better than at some other cinemas in Brisbane I've been to in the last 2 years, it was still merely a dull grey, not pitch black. At no point did the movie (with 3D glasses on) look particularly bright. In addition there were "murky" scenes where the brightness delivered to the screen was so low it was washed out by the poor minimum black level of the projector. It actually became quite difficult to make out what was going on at times. This may possibly have been due to a degree to an intention by the director to create some sort of menacing atmosphere. And it may have arisen in part because of post-production (including grading of the colour and setting of the dynamic range) being done with high contrast (presumably HDR) monitors. Whatever the reasons, the 3D viewing experience fell a bit flat. It wasn't helped by the fact that the 3D conversion in Star Trek Beyond provided only a very subtle effect a lot of the time. Although I generally prefer my 3D mild/realistic rather than exaggerated, even I felt the 3D conversion could have been stronger (i.e. it could have used a wider apparent interocular distance for the left and right views).

As regards Kingdom of Plants 3D Blu-ray, there is a very healthy strength to the 3D effect captured with the 3D cameras; somewhat exaggerated at times I feel, but not excessively so.

Edited by MLXXX

Liked 3D when Avatar came out and sought out 3D BDs.

Sadly, our interest has waned. Have not watched 3D at home for a long time; don't even know whether glasses still work! And struggling to recall last 3D movie at cinema...