Tassie Devil

Magic Pvr Arrived Today

2,065 posts in this topic

Hi murgles - I think this will solve your problem.

Go to Menu ----> Settings ----> Info Format ----> Recording OSD Logo ----> and set to "Off"

Many thanks. That resolved the issue.

Thanks wklie and thebeerpig for help - what made me unsure was the source from my previous post ( http://www.anjunsama...tem_no=842&cha= ) showing the same model Power Adapter I have ( SAWA-07-41612 ) but specifying 5.5x2.5mm plug.

Going to order 5.5x2.1mm now... Thanks again.

How did you get on Delphi did a new power supply fix your problem or are you the first 'reported' Magic failure.

Hello

Can someone please advise if these Magic TV are any good?

I had a Topfield but the HDD failed. What are the pros and cons of the Magic? Can I through a intranet upload movie files to it, not stream.

Can You please link me to where I can purchase one? Im in Perth.

TY

Can someone please advise if these Magic TV are any good?

They're fantastic.

I had a Topfield but the HDD failed.

All hard drives will eventually fail. Usually, you can just replace the failed hard drive with an equivalent sized one and the PVR will function once again.

What are the pros and cons of the Magic?

Pros: The GUI is lovely. A great EPG. User friendly. You can also switch between Freeview and non-Freeview firmware. The non-Freeview firmware allows you to perform ad skips (ie. press a button on your remote and the video you're watching will skip x number of minutes/seconds ahead). The non-Freeview firmware also allows you to copy programs off the PVR onto a USB drive.

The Freeview firmware gives you a better EPG but removes ad-skipping and file transfer. I would recommend the non-Freeview firmware.

Great remote.

Cons: Limited media playback ability. No YouTube or Catchup TV (iView etc)

Can I through a intranet upload movie files to it, not stream.

The PVR wasn't designed to be a media player. The only file types it can play are AVCHD files from a camcorder.

You cannot play movies you download from the internet (bitTorrent etc.)

Can You please link me to where I can purchase one? Im in Perth.

The MagicPVR hasn't been available in stores for a while now and are very hard to find online. Dealspace.com.au sometimes has refurbished models but finding a new one is almost impossible nowadays.

Hey thanks heaps for the quick and comprehensive reply.

I am also looking at the Beyonwiz, off dealspace.. Beyonwiz DP-P2 but I dont want ICETV. I guess the Beyonwiz DP-P1 is the same as the P2 but no ICETV.

My brother had a Beyonwiz lite and the EPG was awesome but this is @3 years ago.

What do you think?

I am also looking at the Beyonwiz, off dealspace.. Beyonwiz DP-P2 but I dont want ICETV. I guess the Beyonwiz DP-P1 is the same as the P2 but no ICETV.

There's no compulsion to have IceTV on any Beyonwizes. If you don't, they use the FTA (non-Freeview) EPG, and you have no series recording feature (but you do have fairly flexible repeating timers). Dealspace no longer seems to be offering 3 months free IceTV with new Beyonwizes, but IceTV is offering DP-P2 1TB and DP-P2 500GB with 1 year IceTV bundled, if you want to try it out. Dealspace is showing "No stock" on DP-P2 1TB, but they have the 500GB showing In Stock.

All Beyonwiz models are IceTV capable. Always have been IIRC. The DP-P1 is definitely not "the same as the P2 but no ICETV". The P1 has no analog recording inputs, for example. Also, AFAIK, you can't buy a new DP-P1 anywhere. Nor DP-Lites, either, unfortunately. I think that they were the best value of all the Beyonwiz models.

Personally, I think IceTV is worth the money. I've been using it for 5 years, and by keeping paid up some time ahead, I've always renewed at half price or less on specials. I've only ever bought one full-price subscription, my first paid one.

OK What about the Network capabilities of any of the Beyonwiz's

Can I upload Movie files...H264 or Avi files to any of the Beyonwizs. Not Stream.

As I said before I really Liked my Brothers Beyonwiz EPG (not ICETV) was excellant and beat my Toppy, I had ICETV but I dont want to use them.

Can I upload Movie files...H264 or Avi files to any of the Beyonwizs. Not Stream.

All Beyonwizes have media-playing capability, but the codecs tend to be rather old (the most recent firmware update was about 2 1/2 years ago). You can upload or play media from local Windows shares, or from USB disks or thumb drives (only FAT32 and NTFS formats supported, and NTFS is read only). Max resolution is 1080i (no 1080p).

There's no facility for uploading or playing media direct to the Beyonwizes from the wider Internet, except from Beyonwiz's WizTV server. But the offering there is pretty unimpressive, IMO. Otherwise, you have to upload them to a PC, then copy to the Beyonwiz (or play from the PC).

Copy speeds to/from the Beyonwiz aren't very good - typically ~2-2.5MB/s over Ethernet, ~3-3.5MB/s from HDD.

You can get an idea of what file types are supported from the Supported File Types List - Unofficial topic on the Beyonwiz forum. There's more discussion of media playback capabilities on the Content, Software and USB part of the forum.

IMO Beyonwizes are so-so media players, barely acceptable audio players and rubbish at displaying photos (unless you rescale them to 1080 lines or less).

Most of the heavy media users on the Beyonwiz forum seem to use dedicated media players rather than the Beyonwiz for media playback.

I rarely use any of our Beyonwizes' media playback facilities. But I think they're still pretty competitive as PVRs.

This is getting a bit OT for a Magic thread.

Edited by prl

How did you get on Delphi did a new power supply fix your problem or are you the first 'reported' Magic failure.

I'm afraid the later - pretty depressing as I really enjoyed my Magic. If anyone can give me advice re: repairs in Perth I'd be very grateful...

Cheers

I'm afraid the later - pretty depressing as I really enjoyed my Magic. If anyone can give me advice re: repairs in Perth I'd be very grateful...

Is the new power supply you purchased rated at 12V 4A or above? Does the front panel show anything? Does the TV detect any signal from the PVR, via HDMI or composite? Does any light flash in the network port at the instant your power it on? Do you hear or feel the vibration from the HDD spinning up?

Please try the followings:

- If the power supply you bought needs a power cord, try a different power cord as well (perhaps from a PC or monitor, or even some TV sets)

- With the power disconnected, open up the Magic TV, and remove the cable(s) between the HDD and the mainboard.

Edited by wklie

Cheers

Hopefully it something simple and requires a quick fix.

O.K. found this in the Topfield forums and he is on here sometimes under the name 'warkus' might be worth while sending a PM

No affiliation but has a good reputation. "Mark Warkus, see the Topfield or Beyonwiz forums (and maybe here somewhere). He is in Perth and repairs PVRs at a very reasonable price. " http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showuser=55615

Another place that fixes Topfields may also be of help if you can't get a hold of Mark

http://above.net.au/...ove-and-beyond/ also no affiliation.

Good luck I know I would be lost without my Magic.

Edited by mwd

Is the new power supply you purchased rated at 12V 4A or above?

Hi, the new power brick is 12v 4A. In fact, the original still testing 12V but I thought (hoped) the power is 'dirty' (happened to me before with a modem). So power brick side is tested OK.

Does the front panel show anything? Does the TV detect any signal from the PVR, via HDMI or composite? Does any light flash in the network port at the instant your power it on? Do you hear or feel the vibration from the HDD spinning up?

All A in the negative: as per my original post, the PVR is 'dead' ie nothing on the display and it's completely silent. One thing I have noticed now, when 'testing' disconnecting HD as per your suggestion, is that one of the tiny capacitors ( C8 ) near the power in (and HD) is completely blown (practically gone) - so I think it must have been power 'surge'. I suspected as much initially but somehow assumed that any 'surge' would be 'caught' in the power brick itself.

Any suggestion on repairs in Perth?

Thanks,

delphi

Edited by delphi

Hopefully it something simple and requires a quick fix.

Good luck I know I would be lost without my Magic.

Thanks a lot - will try if I can't find Magic specific repair service,

delphi

I doubt you will be able to find a Magic specific repairer in your area. If it just a few components that have failed it should be pretty easy for any electronic engineer to fix. I would approach Mark Warkus as first port of call and work from there.

Most of these guys will be familiar with Capacitor blowouts as it is quite common with older and not so old Toppys.

Edited by mwd

is that one of the tiny capacitors ( C8 ) near the power in (and HD) is completely blown (practically gone) - so I think it must have been power 'surge'. I suspected as much initially but somehow assumed that any 'surge' would be 'caught' in the power brick itself.

Any suggestion on repairs in Perth?

Officially, I can only tell you to contact our distributor.

There should not be any component at C8. However, if you can take a (reasonably sharp) photo of the section of the mainboard that shows the blown component, I can ask our technicians for advice, which may help if you can get someone with soldering skills to fix it.

Officially, I can only tell you to contact our distributor.

There should not be any component at C8. However, if you can take a (reasonably sharp) photo of the section of the mainboard that shows the blown component, I can ask our technicians for advice, which may help if you can get someone with soldering skills to fix it.

Here's the photo with blown (?) C8:

post-14002-0-59246000-1378733622_thumb.j

Thanks,

delphi

Edited by delphi

Here's the photo with blown (?) C8:

I've asked our hardware engineer and technicians, and here's what I've got.

Since our current productions do not have C8 installed, this is a failure that we have not seen before. At C8 we can "mount 10nF, 100nF, or no component". "Just make sure it is not short circuited."

Also need to check L1 and L2 - one is located near the power connector, the other is on the backside, as well as the DC-DC power ICs.

I've asked our hardware engineer and technicians, and here's what I've got.

Thanks a lot for the info.

Most of these guys will be familiar with Capacitor blowouts as it is quite common with older and not so old Toppys. I would approach Mark Warkus as first port of call and work from there

Yes, those would probably be the EC ones failing over time and quite easy to fix - done it myself on my Digicrystal PVR a few years back. In the case of my Magic - we're dealing with SMDs and possibility of a few elements failing due to power surge so probably not as easy. Still, thanks very much for the info, could be very useful.

Delphi, was it a brand new unit or a reconditioned one when you bought it?

Recon unit from dealspace - had it for around 1.5y without any problems whatsoever. I don't believe it's an intrinsic fault just a 'bad luck' with a power surge - a reminder to have a 'protected' power board for all your valuable electronic equipment...

Edited by delphi