Tassie Devil

Magic Pvr Arrived Today

2,065 posts in this topic

I've experienced reception problems with the MAGIC this last week. I say with the MAGIC because it was registering no aerial signal yet two other terrestrial units tried out with the identical aerial connection worked fine.

Installed was firmware 6.03beta so I replaced it with 6.05 beta, did a factory reset and rescan so have reception back again. It is registering around 60% signal strength but 98% quality so looks like back to "normal" for here.

I've never had reception problems here this time of the year - it usually goes bad in the summer months. Anyway I have the Humax VAST satellite PVR if things deteriorate but hate it compared to the MAGIC because of no skip functions. The video quality on the Humax VAST is superb but ergonomically it is irritating with those Freeview restrictions. So I'm only recording ABC on it at the moment where skipping ads is not so much of a problem.

John

Looks good Tassie I live in high signal strength area and get 64% and 97% and the Magic never misses a beat. My SD Topfield reads much higher on Signal Strength. I also have a Homecast ( retired ) and that read about the same as the Magic.

The only thing with my Magic is it takes a while to recognise my 2Tb external Harddrive maybe because it is divided into 4 partitions and contains lots of downloaded video. A 1Tb with a single partition shows up within a few seconds.

6.05 should also fix the HDMI handshake issues but I cannot verify that as I use optical to my AVR. I never had a problem with HDMI direct to the TV so left it on 'Auto' but noticed the HDMI audio indicator on the front panel of the Magic is now always illuminated.

I've experienced reception problems with the MAGIC this last week. I say with the MAGIC because it was registering no aerial signal yet two other terrestrial units tried out with the identical aerial connection worked fine.

Installed was firmware 6.03beta so I replaced it with 6.05 beta, did a factory reset and rescan so have reception back again. It is registering around 60% signal strength but 98% quality so looks like back to "normal" for here.

I've never had reception problems here this time of the year - it usually goes bad in the summer months. Anyway I have the Humax VAST satellite PVR if things deteriorate but hate it compared to the MAGIC because of no skip functions. The video quality on the Humax VAST is superb but ergonomically it is irritating with those Freeview restrictions. So I'm only recording ABC on it at the moment where skipping ads is not so much of a problem.

John

Hi John,

I get around 64% signal strength and 98/99% quality on the Magic, just a great machine. Do you have any idea what the signal strength reading % is of? The YESS gives figures in the specification but, not as far as I can find, does the Magic.

Ken

No Ken, no idea I'm sorry. The aerial guy doesn't have much faith in the read outs on any of these units and of course relies on his meter.

What really perplexes me about the problems I had before installing 6.05 is that those MAGIC meters showed zero strength & quality yet that same aerial connection worked for other items. Sort of black MAGIC!!!

Anyway all seems ok again, and yes, HDMI handshaking is better. The MAGIC is feeding into the Rotel via a splitter so it is saying hello more times than items direct into that Rotel processor.

John

What really perplexes me about the problems I had before installing 6.05 is that those MAGIC meters showed zero strength & quality yet that same aerial connection worked for other items. Sort of black MAGIC!!!

As far as reception is concerned, no change has been made to the firmware since 2011. As for why changing firmware makes a difference, I suspect that in the course of changing firmware, very slight physical movement could cause the electric contact with the antenna to become better or worse.

As far as reception is concerned, no change has been made to the firmware since 2011. As for why changing firmware makes a difference, I suspect that in the course of changing firmware, very slight physical movement could cause the electric contact with the antenna to become better or worse.

Are you meaning the external connector or a contact inside? I'll spray some electrical cleaner on the plugs although it seems a long shot.

But when all said & done it is processor controlled and we are all familiar with the gymnastics of them in PCs :pirate:

John

Do you have any idea what the signal strength reading % is of?

If you're asking what the signal strength means in Magic TV, (for Australia and New Zealand models) it reflects the signal to noise ratio reported by the demodulator chip. It is then scaled for display in the Magic TV screen, so it is not in units of dB, but it is related to dB.

Are you meaning the external connector or a contact inside? I'll spray some electrical cleaner on the plugs although it seems a long shot.

Primarily external, but I'll not completely rule out the possibility of contact problems inside. While it is working now, it's better not to touch it. You may clean it if/when you encounter reception problems next time.

No Ken, no idea I'm sorry. The aerial guy doesn't have much faith in the read outs on any of these units and of course relies on his meter.

Anyway all seems ok again, and yes, HDMI handshaking is better. The MAGIC is feeding into the Rotel via a splitter so it is saying hello more times than items direct into that Rotel processor.

John

Hi John

I'm sure any signal strength report from the Magic or my Yess is sort of indicative and has no real value. After all the anteena guys spend big bucks to buy a meter which gives meaningful readings. But, as an old radar/radio man I wondered.

Wklie,

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it.

Reception problems again last night - the signal strength reading was 54% so obviously borderline. Gave up on the MAGIC and used the satellite PVRs. Looks like the days using the MAGIC might be numbered. Sad.

John

My 1.5 year old Magic PVR 'died' yesterday (no sign of 'life' on the LCD at all) so I'm back on my old 'trusty' (and what a 'culture shock' that is after using the Magic for just over a year) 8 year old DigiCrystal...

At this stage I suspect the Power Adapter - going to buy another one to test - can someone please confirm the size of the plug to be 5.5x2.5mm (as per http://translate.goo...iw=1525&bih=738 ) rather than 5.5x2.1mm.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by delphi

My 1.5 year old Magic PVR 'died' yesterday (no sign of 'life' on the LCD at all)

Please try another power supply with DC 12V output with 4A (at least 3A) current.

Edited by wklie

Reception problems again last night - the signal strength reading was 54% so obviously borderline.

You may try to verify whether the signal reception is restricted to one of the two tuners by:

- Reboot the Magic TV in Settings -> System, or using the rear power switch

- Start recording the current channel (regardless of whether it gives a proper TV picture on screen)

- Switch to a channel on a frequency that is different from the channel being recorded

Edited by wklie

Please try another power supply with DC 12V output with 4A (at least 3A) current.

Yes, I'm aware of the power requirements - my question was about the exact type of the plug (size) used so I can buy the right power adapter.

Thanks.

Edited by delphi

Yes, I'm aware of the power requirements - my question was about the exact type of the plug (size) used so I can buy the right power adapter.

I'm trying to get that information for you, I'll let you know when I get it.

Just been and checked my Magic. The plug size you need is 5.5 X 2.1mm.

That's the same as what I've been told - 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

That's the same as what I've been told - 5.5mm x 2.1mm.

Thanks wklie and thebeerpig for help - what made me unsure was the source from my previous post ( http://www.anjunsamall.com/type6/item/showitem.php?car=120&cate_no=120&item_no=842&cha= ) showing the same model Power Adapter I have ( SAWA-07-41612 ) but specifying 5.5x2.5mm plug.

Going to order 5.5x2.1mm now... Thanks again.

Edited by delphi

Found this on E-Bay and as luck would have it has the 2.1mm plug.

http://www.ebay.com....r-/400396174956

Only $16.00 but still got to wait it coming from Hong Kong. Don't suppose Jaycar have anything suitable.

The Deal Extreme looks like a good buy and the correct current output.

Edited by mwd