Tassie Devil

Magic Pvr Arrived Today

2,065 posts in this topic

New firmware just out (MTV4000PVR 5.10c AU). Anyone know what changes are included?

Compared to 5.10, it is made to attempt to address two potential firmware issues related to standby modes and to-do list factory reset in page 44-46. I'd appreciate more successful (or bug) reports of using this firmware.

Compared to previous firmware 5.08 and 4.47:

Firmware for Non-Freeview MTV4000PVR 5.10c (2012-9-11):

http://www.magictv.c...000_5_10AUc.zip

Change List:

- Improve auto extend time of EPG programme recordings for some broadcasters

- Fix a problem in 5.08 firmware that formats HDD with slightly less capacity than available

- Fix playback of Sony NEX-5 AVCHD

- Remove the RF Signal Monitor shortcut from main menu (still available in Settings -> Channel Setup)

Firmware for Freeview MTV3700TD 4.50c AU (2012-9-11):

http://www.magictv.c...700_4_50AUc.zip

Change list:

- Significantly improve the accuracy of Freeview recordings to include ending of programmes for some broadcasters

- Fix XBox 360 remote control support for color buttons in Freeview EPG

- Fix playback of Sony NEX-5 AVCHD

- Default extend end time is now 0 (after factory reset) at request of Freeview

- Remove the RF Signal Monitor shortcut from main menu (still available in Settings -> Channel Setup)

Edited by wklie

I may be missing something fundamental here but the start up mode makes no difference to a power outage results unless of course if it happens in the middle of a recording. You should not lose any of your settings or timers if you get a power outage the only thing that gets wiped is the EPG data. ( test done in Fast Startup mode.)

Not having to repopulate the EPG data every time you switch on is a good enough reason IMO to use Fast Startup as default.

With the old 5.10 patch the startup mode did make a difference for me and I suspect some others. When I used the All Off standby mode the system settings were not being saved, and this meant all settings including the channel scan needed inputting again everytime the PVR was powered up. Does not matter now as the new 5.10c seemes to have fixed that bug for me :)

Compared to 5.10, it is made to attempt to address two potential firmware issues related to standby modes and to-do list factory reset in page 44-46. I'd appreciate more successful (or bug) reports of using this firmware

I updated both my Magics to 5.10c Tuesday evening.

Since the update, they have been operating flawlessly, with no sign of any bugs :)

I've got to give Pixel Magic 11 out of 10 for their support to those of us who had problems with the original 5.10 update. Great stuff :thumbsup:

Wklie, it seems that you have your finger on the pulse with regards to PixelMagic and working on the firmware of our machines. Is there any chances that you could encourage them to get a file server running on the Magic so that we can access the files across the network? Or maybe make the base linux software available so that those of us with the appropriate skills could develop some software mods to make it an even more capable device.

Matt

get a file server running on the Magic so that we can access the files across the network?

I know this is the most requested feature...

CRIDs have returned to WIN's present/following here. Odds on the same applies to all WIN areas. The CRIDs themselves are still a mess. It'll be interesting to see if they keep changing as frequently as they have over the past month or two. If they do, recording with a Freeview EPG powered PVR will still be problematic. Edited by DrP

... If they do, recording with a Freeview EPG powered PVR will still be problematic.

I think they have care factor somewhere around zero on that score.

Just wondering if 3700 users can use both the Freeview and 'Magic' EIT EPGs to set recordings I was thinking use the EIT to schedule recordings from Channel 9 and affiliates. The only thing missing out would be Series Record but it sounds like Win does not broadcast useable data for that anyway.

BTW firmware 5.10c working flawlessly here so far. I had to factory reset twice not the Magic's fault but operator error made a muckup of setting wireless network settings..

Just wondering if 3700 users can use both the Freeview and 'Magic' EIT EPGs to set recordings I was thinking use the EIT to schedule recordings from Channel 9 and affiliates.

Yes. On 3700 Freeview EPG / Magic TV EPG can be chosen in one of the settings. (Not very convenient if this needs to be changed frequently.)

I had exactly the same problem with my WD self powered 1tb drive some months ago. I think I then read somewhere that the Magic formats it to a linux? file system. Anyway, I then reformatted it to NTFS on my computer, and it's worked great on the Magic ever since.

I recorded the Olympics to a 3TB drive in a Sharkoon dock. Needed the dock for migrating a remote client from XP to 7x64. So put the drive in an older Antec MX-1 enclosure. Magic claimed it was unrecognized & needed formatting. (which I didn't do obviously) Since found that a 2TB drive used to record programmes in the MX-1 give the same error if I place it in the Sharkoon dock.

Have only tried once but couldn't seem to be able to get the Magic to recognize both at once, so I can transfer all recordings to the one drive.

Merv

/later

seems a staggered start solved the problem. Only turned the MX-1 on after the 3TB drive was notified as "ready" and now I can transfer direct from the MX-1 to Sharkoon.

Edited by FynrDzynr

Finally got round to hooking my MagicTV up to the interweb today. 5.10c seems to be working okay, but I have noticed one (minor) glitch that was in 5.10: under the Gadgets menu, 'forecast' is spelled incorrectly.

I recorded the Olympics to a 3TB drive in a Sharkoon dock. Needed the dock for migrating a remote client from XP to 7x64. So put the drive in an older Antec MX-1 enclosure. Magic claimed it was unrecognized & needed formatting. (which I didn't do obviously) Since found that a 2TB drive used to record programmes in the MX-1 give the same error if I place it in the Sharkoon dock.

Have only tried once but couldn't seem to be able to get the Magic to recognize both at once, so I can transfer all recordings to the one drive.

Merv

/later

seems a staggered start solved the problem. Only turned the MX-1 on after the 3TB drive was notified as "ready" and now I can transfer direct from the MX-1 to Sharkoon.

Interesting bet that took some time the Magic is not very fast at copying or moving files probably a USB limitation. I would not have thought to connect two external drives to the Magic. I use an Iomega 2TB external drive with 4 NTFS partitions and the Magic recognises them all no problem.

The only thing I have not fathomed out how to do is Organising Programmes into Folders 6.8 Page 45 of the manual It is no big deal I have my recordings listed by date normally.

HA Ha yes noticed the e missing in Weather Forecast.

I have installed 5.10c and don't seem to be having any problems with setting retention with power off.

I had thought (and hoped) that the 'c' suffix on this version might stand for 'commentary', whereby the audio commentary being tested by the ABC at present actually works properly on the 4000. The audio commentary stream is meant to be mixed with the main audio stream so that a running commentary describing the action is heard along with the normal dialogue. On the 4000 you can choose either the main audio or the commentary but not both together, using the "audio" button. If you select the commentary, you get long slabs of silence, interspersed with an occasional comment like "he walks into the bar", followed by more long silence.

The audio commentary is intended for sight impaired people so they can enjoy an enhanced 'viewing' of TV shows. The 4000 clearly acknowledges the existence of audio commentary, as the standard 'AD' symbol appears on the info panel when audio commentary is enabled in a program. It just doesn't work as it should.

hmm... just mine then.

Please check:

- The Magic TV can access online news and weather forecast

- Your Android/iOS device is connected to the same WiFi router as your Magic TV does.

Yep, no problem.

Just had to re "GET IP From DHCP Server" after updating the firmware. All good now.

The ap is good as I keep forgetting to replace my remote's batteries.

It'll be interesting to see if they keep changing as frequently as they have over the past month or two.

The CRIDs have settled down too.