Tassie Devil

Magic Pvr Arrived Today

2,065 posts in this topic

I've just been transferring some files off my Magic onto 1TB Freecom USB drive. Initially this drive wasn't recognised by the Magic so I formatted the Freecom hdd using the Magic. Everything seemed to copy ok. Now I've tried to connect the Freecom to my computer, but it never shows up as a USB hdd. It appears to "connect" ok as a USB device and shows up in the hardware list. But never appears as an accessible hdd. Help?

I had exactly the same problem with my WD self powered 1tb drive some months ago. I think I then read somewhere that the Magic formats it to a linux? file system. Anyway, I then reformatted it to NTFS on my computer, and it's worked great on the Magic ever since.

Edited by thebeerpig

Ok, I guess I can try. I'm running XP. Where will the hdd show up so I can format it?

Go to Control Panel - Administrative tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management. When you click on disc management a list of all your drives should show up. Right click on your external drive and "format" should show up on a list next to the pointer. Click on "format", pick NTFS on the list that shows up, then ok it to do the format.

Hey thanks. The drive showed up as a "healthy" partition but with no recognisable file system. I couldn't format it straight away - that option was greyed out. Had to delete the hdd as a partition first. And now i've started the remounting of the hdd with NTFS selected. Looks like it'll take most of the night. About 20% in an hour...

kiwigene

Hey thanks. The drive showed up as a "healthy" partition but with no recognisable file system. I couldn't format it straight away - that option was greyed out. Had to delete the hdd as a partition first. And now i've started the remounting of the hdd with NTFS selected. Looks like it'll take most of the night. About 20% in an hour...

kiwigene

Good to hear you've got it reformatting.

From memory mine took forever to do also.

After it's done, it should be accepted by the Magic, and the recordings will also show up when connected to a computer.

Good to hear you've got it reformatting.

From memory mine took forever to do also.

After it's done, it should be accepted by the Magic, and the recordings will also show up when connected to a computer.

All good mate. Thanks for your help. I've already copied a file over and it's playing through VLC on my computer.

Edited by kiwigene

All good mate. Thanks for your help. I've already copied a file over and it's player through VLC on my computer.

Good to hear your problem has been solved.

It might be a good idea if Pixel Magic, in a future software update, could give us the option of formatting external drives to NTFS on the Magic.

If that's not possible, maybe show a warning that formatting external drives on the Magic will render them unrecognisable to Windows (and I guess Mac also?) operating system based computers.

Edited by thebeerpig

I wonder if they come up with the same 'technical problems' explanation as in the response that eventually arrived in my inbox. Quite curious these 'technical problems'. They seem to coincide with WIN quitting Freeview. Perhaps its all just one big coincidence.

Is anyone able to record the raw TS of channel 9 in Perth? If possible, I'd like to have a raw TS that starts from 5 minutes before the scheduled start time of any programme, till the programme actually starts, i.e. if the programme does not delay more than 1 minute, the TS will be less than 6 minutes. With this I'll be able to find out exactly what's wrong and report it back to Freeview.

(Normally the Magic TV firmware recording is not a raw TS recording - it drops unneeded stuff to save storage.)

WIN has ceased transmitting the CRIDs in the present/following sections. It also appears that WIN has ceased providing HWW (the EPG aggregator) with its CRIDs too as the CRIDs shown in the freeview EPG for WIN are essentially constantly changing random junk*

Since all WIN areas are affected (no surprise there) I can provide you with what you want. If you nominate the specific PID you want (EIT, or even the MHEG PIDs for instance) I can do that rather than an entire transport dump as it will be considerably smaller.

*The Mentalist WIN /b64a00a632e84914862ac6358b8e7c12 /700bf31f9e2b

44bfb9c1f33fb5b745bf /1a761d8b7105401094d71cf980be3c19 /bf085df1826e440fa35b5430

be2a566d

Edited by DrP

After reading wklie's post yesterday evening I did a software upgrade on both my Magic's. I did it through the dongles and everything went swimmingly. I reset all my preferences in the settings, put in some programs I wanted to record, then went out socializing for the night. When I got up this morning I noticed both recorders were still turned on and showing “yes?” on their screens. Something I'd never seen before. When I checked out what was going on, they were both asking me to go through the initial set up procedure again.

When I checked for the recordings I had set up after doing the software upgrade, there was no sign of any of them. I did the set up again with all my preferences, turned them both off, and then on again. I was greeted with the Magic's asking me to go through the initial set up procedure yet again. After doing a bit of trouble shooting, I found that if I left them in “fast start up mode” and turned them on and off, they worked great. If I set them up in the “power saving” mode or “all off” mode (which is what I have mine set to) they both malfunctioned and went into reset mode when turned on. As I presumed they will probably go back into "reset mode" after a power outage, instead of turning on, and keep on keeping on, like they used to, I thought I would reinstall 5.08. This reinstall worked flawlessly on one Magic, <SNIP>

Just confirming this part happened to me as well. 5.10 firmware loses all its settings when in all off power saving mode. Reverted back to 5.08, no problem.

Just confirming this part happened to me as well. 5.10 firmware loses all its settings when in all off power saving mode. Reverted back to 5.08, no problem.

Have you done a factory reset with 5.10 before reverting back to 5.08? Thanks.

Have you done a factory reset with 5.10 before reverting back to 5.08? Thanks.

Installed 5.10, found I had the all off standby problem, did factory reset, did 5.10 setup again to see if factory reset fixed it, lost system settings again on power down. Installed 5.08 without doing another factory reset and seems to be working.

One thing I did notice, with 5.10, after I did the first setup (before factory reset), powered down, lost system settings and put the settings back in again, it still had all the "To Do List" settings saved, all the TV programs to be recorded were still there from the previous 5.10 setup.

Edited by Submariner

I can confirm that a factory reset does not remove timers in the "To Do List"

I have updated to 5.10 but use 'fast startup' mode without problems but for my style of useage have not noticed any difference from 5.08 apart from signal strength and quality moved to Channels menu.

Not sure of the advantages of using 'All Off' mode as you need to scroll through all the channels on startup to repopulate the EPG.

although I do not know how much power is used in the various standby modes.

Edit: Tried mine in "All Off" startup mode and booted up correctly after power down.

Edited by mwd

I have updated to 5.10 but use 'fast startup' mode without problems but for my style of useage have not noticed any difference from 5.08 apart from signal strength and quality moved to Channels menu.

Not sure of the advantages of using 'All Off' mode as you need to scroll through all the channels on startup to repopulate the EPG.

although I do not know how much power is used in the various standby modes.

Edit: Tried mine in "All Off" startup mode and booted up correctly after power down.

Is it possible that because you used Fast Startup to begin with, the system settings were saved and when you changed to All Off the system settings were left over from your previous Fast Startup setting? Bit like the To Do List being saved. I went straight to All Off and have always used this setting. Maybe settings are not being saved in this mode correctly? I might try going to 5.10 again, but use Fast Startup first, then go to All Off, to see if that works. Only problem might be if I change a system setting in the All Off mode, will it actually save that setting or keep the old save from Fast Startup?

RE: advantage of using All Off -> Not really an advantage, more that I know that if there is a power failure, the PVR system settings will still be there and not have reset everytime it loses power and no recorded shows. I live in a regional area and get the odd electricity blackout.

Edited by Submariner

Please try this new firmware and see if it makes any difference with respect to standby modes and to-do list factory test.

Very nice. The new MTV4000 firmware update has worked flawlessly for me so far and does not lose system settings when in All Off standby mode :thumbsup:

Thanks for the firmware.

WIN has ceased transmitting the CRIDs in the present/following sections. It also appears that WIN has ceased providing HWW (the EPG aggregator) with its CRIDs too as the CRIDs shown in the freeview EPG for WIN are essentially constantly changing random junk*

Thanks for the info. Freeview seems to have figured out a problem with WIN data for Channel 9 in Perth. They have notified WIN about this. Let's hope WIN is still willing to fix it. (Channel 9 in Sydney has no problem.)

It ain't just Perth. All WIN areas have the same issue. It will be interesting to see if it is 'fixed' - ie something that is simply turned off isn't really broken, its just off.

<waits for CRIDs in guide to stabilise and CRIDs to reappear in the eit>

Edited by DrP

RE: advantage of using All Off -> Not really an advantage, more that I know that if there is a power failure, the PVR system settings will still be there and not have reset everytime it loses power and no recorded shows. I live in a regional area and get the odd electricity blackout.

I may be missing something fundamental here but the start up mode makes no difference to a power outage results unless of course if it happens in the middle of a recording. You should not lose any of your settings or timers if you get a power outage the only thing that gets wiped is the EPG data. ( test done in Fast Startup mode.)

Not having to repopulate the EPG data every time you switch on is a good enough reason IMO to use Fast Startup as default.

Edited by mwd