Tassie Devil

Magic Pvr Arrived Today

2,065 posts in this topic

Given that some CRIDs are in the EIT EPG (or at least they could be in the future) why don't the PVR manufacturers provide the ability to series record?

There is no certainty to the CRIDs being present in the EIT so apart from where the feature seeps through from foreign firmware I can't see any vendor specifically setting up a PVR for Australia to do it. Also consider that the EIT EPG data is not universal, only data for the current network can be received requiring such a PVR to periodically scan each network to recovery EPG data. There is one PVR that I know of that does snoop the EIT data to see what is on and may even be able to monitor the EIT N/N CRIDs for recording purposes.

Thought I had my first timer failure today lost the Tour de France highlights from yesterday. Found it in the trash folder must have accidently deleted it. Recovered it no problem one of the very well thought out features of the Magic can save a lot of cursing as long as you are not too hasty emptying the trash.

Thought I had my first timer failure today lost the Tour de France highlights from yesterday. Found it in the trash folder must have accidently deleted it. Recovered it no problem one of the very well thought out features of the Magic can save a lot of cursing as long as you are not too hasty emptying the trash.

I never empty the trash as I figure it will overwrite it anyway. I have recovered a few things that way!

Hi All,

Anyone interested in a MagicTv Box for $300 Delivered (can also throw in wifin) ? Vendor increased pricing June, please understand offering at s loss as product is without box. Just email me if your interested [email protected] I can email photo's etc if required. Full 1yr product warranty & 100% satisfaction guarantee. It's been returned by a customer who reported signal drop issues with the box. Tested the unit now and what do you know........unit scans and records as you would expect, tuners 1 & 2 both working a-ok.........

PVR, accessories and manual are all mint, no scratches etc. I'm pretty sure he only had the unit for 2-3 days before asking to return it, clearly the PVR's fault and no further discussion type of guy, ......to top it all off, what does he do? Send back the unit without the original product box. Well thanks, thats my little vent lol....

Edited by Crazystu

Scanned in the new 3D channels from Nine today. Noticed I can't hit the record button and record them. I can use the time shifting (pause/rewind), or hit record from the guide and it will record from that point. So it will be useful during the Olympics when I'm at work and want to watch some 3D stuff when I get home.

Still it seems a bit weird I can't just press record and have it record from that point. The other channels do that as well. I'm wondering if it's because the guide shows the test as a 24hr program and it wont record for that period of time?

Anyone else having this issue?

Please press i and check what does it say about the start date/time and end date/time.

Edited by wklie

Given the recent price rise of the Magic is the Mediastar Powers 8200S a better buy? It seems to have series record and ad skip. With the Magic you have to choose one or the other because of the different firmware, is that right?

The Mediastar seems to have a lot of extra functions. The ability to act as a streaming media server on my network and record to a NAS has me very interested.

Edited by Duk

The Medistar looks very interesting and is a step up from the Magic but does not include an internal hardrive. There is very little feedback from the Mediastar so it is either very good or not many people have got one. If I didn't own a Magic I would be all over the Medistar as it looks from the video to be very good. It does seem to be able to series record from name matching without using Freeview EPG. You may be slightly limited by fitting an internal HDD being 2.5" as I think maximum size is 1Tb but that is plenty for average use. No big deal if you use an external drive through USB or e-SATA

Edit: I see Crazy Stu has included a 500Gb internal drive now.

Edited by mwd

In the past I've compared video quality among Sigma Designs (as used in Magic TV), Broadcom, and STMicroelectronics chips. I have no confidence with the video quality of STMicroelectronics chips, or any device that is based on it.

"Given the recent price rise of the Magic"

Yes, having bought one just before last Christmas for $249, I can't help rather cynically believing that the current $428 is pre-Olympic pricing, like lcd/plasma TV sets. Hopefully they will come back to more realistic figures when the Olympics are out of the way....

Yes, having bought one just before last Christmas for $249, I can't help rather cynically believing that the current $428 is pre-Olympic pricing, like lcd/plasma TV sets. Hopefully they will come back to more realistic figures when the Olympics are out of the way....

Maybe, but I think the answer is elsewhere. A load of Magic PVRs were manufactured for Freeview which has flopped dramatically so there was a warehouse full of them which had to be liquidated. My take is we have been lucky to get them so cheaply.

John

+1 I think Wklie correctly predicted a price increase a few months ago somewhere in this thread if you care to search.

I have been very happy with my now one year old "Freeview" badged 4000 brilliant PQ and has not missed a timer yet.

Make sure you have Firmware 5.08AU installed it fixes all of the previous niggles. The only desireable feature missing is not being able to stream video over the WIFI or ethernet links.

And I do miss PIP as I did use it from time to time on the Toppy. Otherwise the two here continue to do all I require of a PVR. And I appreciate the accuracy of the correct naming of the recordings. Typing in the titles on the Toppy was a real PIA.

However the price rise does put a further query on it - is it better value than other PVRs around this price point? I'd be interested to hear opinion on that. Anyone know which are contemporary rivals with similar & maybe more features?

John

Anyone know which are contemporary rivals with similar & maybe more features?

John

Crazy Stu started a thread on the Mediastar 8200S that has me interested, for a little more money it appears to do all the Magic does plus a lot more. I find I am reluctant to pull the trigger on one, there was an older thread on it that was really weird. Lots of strange posts accusing people of being puppets, lots of angst. It put me off. Crazy Stu is pretending the new thread is the first one on the Mediastar.

I am hoping to read some reviews from happy owners, I don't want to be the first to jump in to a PVR that has been around a long time that nobody has bought yet.

Edited by Duk

The closest pricewise I think is well known and a known brand is the Beyonwiz DP-P2TB which does have more features than the Magic and is available from Jungle Jumble for $469.00.

Wklie did comment that he was not keen on the chipset as used in the Medistar see post #1049 on previous page.

BTW if I was buying at todays prices I would probably go the Beyonwiz for bang for buck including 2TB drive. Makes the Magic a bit exxy in comparison.

Edited by mwd

Interesting. I tried out a Mediastar some time ago (obviously a different model) but had to return it as the tuner lacked sensitivity. One negative for me with most of the latest PVR releases is no s-video out so no way of reasonable quality download to a DVD-R. Not that I do much dubbing these days but sometimes .....

John

Wklie did comment that he was not keen on the chipset as used in the Medistar see post #1049 on previous page.

I noted that but a google search failed to turn up much in support of this. Perhaps my google-fu failed me on this occasion.

I found that the Video quality from the Magic Sigma chips is far superior to the internal tuner on my 2007 Pioneer Kuro LX608 even the Olympics on GEM HD look amazing.

Wklie is very knowlegable on the PVRs so would not dispute his findings on the STMicroelctronics chipset maybe he will chime in here with his objections to the Mediastar.

Although we are taking this thread off topic we are supposed to be discussing the Magic 3700/4000 :pirate:

Edited by mwd

Crazy Stu started a thread

I think of those threads as info commercials. I don't have a problem with them, getting some info and usually a review, as long as you know the poster sells the units and benefits from these info threads. Personally, I would not base my purchase on one source of information.

IMO video quality comes before features. No use having all the features in the world packed into a unit, if it has poor/average quality video. One of the reasons I bought the Magic.

I think of those threads as info commercials. I don't have a problem with them, getting some info and usually a review, as long as you know the poster sells the units and benefits from these info threads. Personally, I would not base my purchase on one source of information.

IMO video quality comes before features. No use having all the features in the world packed into a unit, if it has poor/average quality video. One of the reasons I bought the Magic.

Nicely put. :kiss: Some of us got very excited some time ago when it appeared someone was being a socket puppet for a firm although it turned out not to be true.

Yes there are differences in video quality with these PVRs. This showed up recently comparing an s-video feed into the Pioneer DVDR with what the internal digital SD tuner recorded. The Magic video was impressive, even after a feed in via analog conversion. To be fair the Magic feed in was downscaled HD but I would not have expected the difference to be as obvious as it was.