Tassie Devil

Magic Pvr Arrived Today

2,070 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, murgles said:

I would like to replace the internal 3.5 inch hard drive of the Magic PVR with a 2.5 inch HDD. Would i need any special adapters or cables to do this?

Why do you want to put in a 2.5"? Just replace with another 3.5". Can get them for less than $100 for 1TB.

52 minutes ago, kiwigene said:

Why do you want to put in a 2.5"? Just replace with another 3.5". Can get them for less than $100 for 1TB.

Because I already have a 1TB 2.5 inch HDD that I took out of my laptop (when I replaced it with an SSD)

1 hour ago, murgles said:

I would like to replace the internal 3.5 inch hard drive of the Magic PVR with a 2.5 inch HDD. Would i need any special adapters or cables to do this?

You need a spacer to properly support the 2.5" HDD. After all, even in Imperial measures 2.5 < 3.5 ;) You shouldn't need different cables. You'll also need 2 or 4 extra mounting screws, depending on whether it's a single 1" spacer or two 0.5" spacers.

Thanks for the advice prl. I'll give it a try once I've finished copying all the video off the internal drive.

I managed to replace the hard drive inside the Magic PVR. All it needed was a format once inside. Working fine.

Hi,

My Magic is showing ABC , and it only seems to be ABC, as recording for say 1 hour but when I go to playback I find that it has only recorded for 1 second. Any ideas please?

Please perform Settings -> Recording -> Advanced -> Check and Repair HDD.

19 hours ago, wklie said:

Please perform Settings -> Recording -> Advanced -> Check and Repair HDD.

Thanks. I'm leaving for a 3 week break away. Will do so on my return.

9 hours ago, q6supvr said:

Thanks. I'm leaving for a 3 week break away. Will do so on my return.

If it's not too late already, I recommend you do it before you leave.  You don't even need to wait for it to finish.  After the checking it should reboot itself.

Without doing this, you may have less chance of success in recording during these 3 weeks.

On 14/06/2016 at 8:46 AM, Kestrel said:

Cold boot startup time for my Magic is getting longer and longer, particularly in cooler months, sometimes as long as 20 minutes. The system boots immediately with the HDD disconnected and the HDD works perfectly when powered by a PC PSU so it seems like a power problem. The power supply measures 12V so no problems there. I carefully measured the voltage at the pins of the HDD power connector, the 12V line is good but the 5V line is reading 3V for a considerable time after startup, eventually it jumps to 5V and the HDD finally spins up. So the power circuit is to blame, most likely due to aging electrolytic capacitors, I noticed some of them have slight bulges on top (EC8, EC2, C3).

Follow up on this post of mine. I finally changed the original Hitachi HDD to a new WD Blue 3TB and it spins up immediately on boot now despite being cold so perhaps not a problem with the power circuit after all. The weird thing is the Hitachi behaves perfectly in my PC, it spins up immediately, passes the short and extended SMART tests and has a clean bill of health with 50% more life expectancy (2010 drive used daily since 2012).

Hitachi: 7200rpm | 5V 0.45A | 12V 0.7A

WD: 5400rpm | 5V 0.6A | 12V 0.45A

The WD requiring significantly less 12V current might explain the difference.

For anyone wanting to copy across videos to a new HDD, don't forget to copy the database files in the first partition or the videos won't be visible to the system. And don't try to run the repair without the database files since this will delete the video files and you'll have to copy them across again. 🤦

Edited by Kestrel
Added current ratings.