Sign in to follow this  
pgdownload

Any One Using Apple Tv (or 2) As A Media Streamer?

Have found since Christmas days storms (we were in south Gippsland for the day) our atv2 does not automatically see our iMacs iTunes library. It tells me to enable sharing in iTunes, which it already is, and I have to disable sharing on the iMac and re-enable it and bingo, it pops up straight away. Very annoying and I've read of similar networking issues being reasonably common for those running Lion os. We run both iMac and atv hard wired to the network.

It appears our router and iMac copped some water while we were away but everything except this appears to working faultlessly.

Hope it sorts itself out as Mrs B can't be bothered with such issues and just sits in silence with the kids...

Picked one of these up last night (along with a WDTVLive) and spent some time playing around with it.

Out-of-the-box it's not much more than a plugin for ITunes purchases, but after jailbreaking and installing XMBC it opens up quite nicely. It's certainly very pretty :)

Unfortunately it lacks the oomph to be an everyday player for me, it chokes on most 1080p material and the odd 720p .MKV as well. I'll keep it to muck around with but, to be honest, it's not a player I can see myself getting a lot of use out of.

I keep hearing about audio dropouts on the Boxee which has put me off.

I have a PCH A200 working well in the lounge, just looking for something to use in the HT. Another A200 (or 210) might just be the answer.

Edited by ajm

Finally got this to work. I bought another ATV2 as I am a stubborn SOB and was determined to get it to work.

I'm now one WDTV Live down as it has been replaced with the ATV and the very swanky XBMC. Brings back memories of using it on my Xbox.

Black adds a number of programs (You just enable them in the black menu). XMBC is one of them.

I can also recommend enabling Nitro which provides easy access to a bunch of handy features. One I use is called Overflow, that allows you to hide all the ATV menus you don't want to see all that often.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Why cheers Peter. I think I'll take the plunge. I'm so into this damned Apple TV it's becoming a bit of a fixation. As a matter of fact I'm becoming so Apple I bought a MacBook Pro a week ago.

Why cheers Peter. I think I'll take the plunge. I'm so into this damned Apple TV it's becoming a bit of a fixation. As a matter of fact I'm becoming so Apple I bought a MacBook Pro a week ago.

Welcome to the dark side. usually it starts with an ipod, then an iPhone, next an iPad. Not too many people get that addicted that they get an AppleTV as well.

But (Gulp) we have two ATVs, an iPad, 3 iPhones, two iPod touches, an iPod Nano, an iPod shuffle and an iPod so old that it has turned yellow. MacBook Air arrives this week - but we didn't buy it, daughter's school hands them out.

Don't want to think about what we've spend on iProducts - but the constant appearance of iTunes Music Store on the credit card statement is starting to make me think we need to go cold turkey for a month or two...still it is nice how this iStuff just works and nobody needs to have explained to them how to start using this stuff. The AppleTVs are is probably the easiest things of all to use.

So far I've found the ATV2 to be a great gadget to tinker with but it falls a bit short compared to the PCH devices I've used because of a lack of processing power. It's slick and easy to use - but hobbled.

I'm lovin' it. I "blacked" it last night. Adds some nifty little extras. The high WAF is the killer for me as "she who must be obeyed" hates complication where movie/TV/music watching/listening is concerned.

The one thing that is a bit of a nuisance is the remote. It's bloody awful. My fat little hands keep pressing the wrong buttons.

Talking about the remote - generally I have no issues and quite like it (except for losing it in the couch every second day)...but, always seem to have issues bring up the 'right click' style file menu via long press on the menu button. More often than not a long press on the menu button takes you back a screen.

Also - cant for the life of me recall how I have managed to bring up the on screen menu (where you can find varying speed FF, RW etc) during playback?

I'm no longer finding myself going into XBMC. I've put Black on and I now use the media player included with that. It's quick, it has much better meta data retrieval and my wife really likes it. Nuff said hahaha.

I'm lovin' it. I "blacked" it last night. Adds some nifty little extras. The high WAF is the killer for me as "she who must be obeyed" hates complication where movie/TV/music watching/listening is concerned.

The one thing that is a bit of a nuisance is the remote. It's bloody awful. My fat little hands keep pressing the wrong buttons.

What's black?

No worries, I thought you meant a stand alone media player. I have this but use xbmc, i'll give the media pkayer a try