Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tiles

Samsung Ps59d8000 Quick Review - Sub 100 Hours

134 posts in this topic

Just thought I'd post a quick review of the 2011 top of the line samsung plasma.

I've had this set for just over 2 weeks as it replaced my C7000 plasma due to firmware introducing bad 3d crosstalk.

I never had any IR problems with the C7000 and I haven't had any with this set. I kept the contrast and brightness fairly low for a day or two but my usual settings preference are suited to a dim room anyway so I had no hesitation in using posted calibration settings from the US.

First thing I noticed on free-to-air was blacks and motion. For example while watching Friends on 90GEM Ross and Joe's hair really cuts a deep dark black which gives the rest of the picture a real pop. Whilst watching the AFL on 73Mate the motion was an improvement on the C7000 wiith no pixelation on fast moving images.

Whilst after a couple of days I noticed quite a loud buzz coming from the set (no my C7000 never made a noise) it has since decreased I think, or maybe I have just become accustomed to it, and it now does not pose a problem. There is still signs of line bleed but this is common with plasma technology and the levels on the D8000 is lower than last year and is neglible for me.

I don't leave preset picture settings on for long so I can't comment on them but I'm sure the movie default settings were good enough out of the box to watch for a little but you really want to use other people's posted settings or get it pro calibrated as this obviously brings out the best in the tv. After trying a few settings I finally settled on one which I was quite happy with. Then.. I tried David Katzmaier's latest calibrated settings and I found them fantastic. Last year I found his settings too contrasty and just too bright for any viewing environment and so I didn't expect too much this year. But after dialling in his settings I found a really comfortable to watch picture which has the best black levels of the bunch I have tried and really gives the picture the wow factor. This isn't an LED, this is a plasma and with these settings I find the colours to be extremely realistic and believable.

I definately agreed with what David K said in his review that blacks are very good but you may slightly lose a little black detail, but he stressed that this is the closest he has come with any plasma or LED to colour perfection. It just looks how it should.

Depending on what size tv you are coming from but the D8000 does a great job of upscaling SD. I remember when I first upgraded from a 42" panna to the 58C7000 and thought "Geez is this it?" but as you start to realise these sets are essentially blowing the picture up to an incredible size, you really appreciate the picutre that is delivered.

HD free-to-air is obviously the preffered viewing and lives up to expectation. Bluray is fantastic and it is especially nice when you get a full screen play back (no black bars) movie which showcases the large screen. Turning Cinema Smooth on raises the black level and only slightly smooths out the motion of the picture so I left it off finding the motion is good enough without it (although some may disagree).

The silver bezel is actually better once you get it home and with it's trimmed down size it looks great. I actually like the change from the usual black in a dim to dark room as it just seems to melt into the background. In a completely dark room the bezel appears black anyway. And even though whilst watching bluray with the black bars top and bottom in this environment you can see they are lighter in colour compared to the bezel, the blacks still beat last years and are very good. And from most reports are only just behind the VT30.

Getting to 3d... it is a good improvement. I don't think I can classify it a massive improvement until we have 3d hologram tv or even glasses-less 3d on large screens.

But it is very watchable now. After viewing a bit more 3d on this set recently I can say the crosstalk has been reduced to a point where only the bad scenes are still noticable but not too distracting. The actual 3d effect is great and is probably on par or better than last year's panasonic (can't comment this year as have not seen). There is the option to turn Cinema Smooth on in 3d mode this year which actually eliminates just about every last bit of crosstalk but can introduce a slight flicker. The flicker is hardly noticable on some bluray's if there is not one hint of light (fluro's really make it bad) but at this stage I prefer to leave it off which deliver's buttery smooth 3d viewing. And bluetooth glasses means no sync loss which was the big killer of 2010 (hello electrical tape over the sensor).

Alot of talk for panasonic and samsung this year have been about brightness fluctuations where the picture automatically adjusts brightness levels on the fly. With all the "extra" settings (dynamic con, motion lighting etc) switched off I have noticed these fluctuations from time to time but were only really noticable on 1 group of settings which after changing to Katzmaier's settings I have not seen it once. Videphiles will probably find plenty of things wrong with the set but me being more a casual viewer with an interested eye for detail, I can't fault too much on this set. Put it this way the Pluses definately outway the minus and there is always going to be minus's. I think we just notice them more as the screen sizes get bigger.

Overall once you get the "right settings for you" dialled in, I reckon you'll love the set. It's big, looks great on the wall (especially) or tv cabinet, packs alot of pop for a plasma, beautiful accurate colours and deep black levels (again once dialled in properly), great motion on most video, great 3d pop and effect and a minimal amount of crosstalk with no loss of sync with glasses. After some time with this set I can definately say it is a good improvement over the C7000 especially considering there is usually not much between tv's from year to year. Oh yea it's got a Web Browser too but I've got a laptop so who cares haha!

Great tv 9/10

These are David Katzmaier's from Cnet's settings http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-529125.html

thanks for the review, im eagerly awaiting the 64" of this tv. good to hear some local feedback on the set.

have you played a ps3 or console through the set?

Hi Tiles,

Thanks for the update/review.

I have a PS63C7000 which has been replaced 2x times due to loud level of buzzing. (JB Hifi replaced it!) I stupidly updated the firmware to see if it eliminated some of the buzzing/bleeding issues but all it did is made the 3d cross talk worse.

So Tiles, what I'd like to know is how did you go by getting yours replaced? did you go direct through Samsung or your retailer?

I'd really like the same outcome as you so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Good Review. Are you happy with the 59" or do you wish you went up a size.

How far back from the screen are you.

thanks for the review

thanks for the review, im eagerly awaiting the 64" of this tv. good to hear some local feedback on the set.

have you played a ps3 or console through the set?

Ive only got an XBOX 360 displaying over component input (original release version 360). Don't play much anymore but I have tried a few games and it looks great. Alot of punch in the picture if you need it. Probably again an improvement over the last years samsung.
Hi Tiles,

Thanks for the update/review.

I have a PS63C7000 which has been replaced 2x times due to loud level of buzzing. (JB Hifi replaced it!) I stupidly updated the firmware to see if it eliminated some of the buzzing/bleeding issues but all it did is made the 3d cross talk worse.

So Tiles, what I'd like to know is how did you go by getting yours replaced? did you go direct through Samsung or your retailer?

I'd really like the same outcome as you so any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

I reported the issue with samsung and after many months of stuffing around with tech's not turning up etc. and not getting anywhere with samsung I contacted Department of Fair Trading. Within a week I had samsung call me offering a refund or exchange. My tv was only 2 months old when I reported the fault as I had only just received the bonus 3d bluray player to try 3d. I used the store where I purchased the tv from as a reference and stated that my set on the same scenes was much worse crosstalk wise and I believed this was due to the 3003 and higher firmware upgrades.

I think you would have to go through the motions with the technicians coming out and confirming the issue etc. but if you stick to your guns you may just get there but it is a long process (usually). Apparently people have reported tech's actually resetting your firmware so they can reload any firmware they want (pretty much what the Widget hack did) so this may fix your problem if you can reinstall an earlier firmware. But if you really want the new model I would not only use the crosstalk as the fault but also the glasses loss of sync and they will not be able to fix that. Good luck!

Good Review. Are you happy with the 59" or do you wish you went up a size.

How far back from the screen are you.

thanks for the review

Yea I'm happy with the 59", could always go bigger but once you get to these bigger sizes I'm not sure 5" would make that big of a difference with the 64".

If there was a 70" then I think you would appreciate the upgrade more but it is all down to people's opinions.

I sit between 3m - 3.5m from the screen and I think it is a good size for that distance. I know another forum member who says you really need like 80" - 100" to really appreciate 3D but my argument is if your using the tv for day to day viewing you are really going to be disappointed with a set that large as the majority of tv content is still SD and it would look shocking. Fair enough if you've got the cash to spend on a dedicated home theatre "Blu Ray Only" room, but for the rest of us...

But anyway if you feel the bigger would be the better fit for you than buy it, you won't be disappointed either way!

Edited by Tiles

Hi,

Great review.

I just got my 64D8000 thursday and have not had a chance to play with the settings. I will put in those settings you posted from the Cnet site and see how they look.

I noticed that there is a firmware upgrade on the samsung site, V1012.2. Have you installed this update? I have read around the net that is improves or removes the flicker you get when watching 3D.

I got the 64 inch on Thursday too and immediately upgraded to 1012.2. No idea what it improved though. It's a sensational TV.

I got the 64 inch on Thursday too and immediately upgraded to 1012.2. No idea what it improved though. It's a sensational TV.

Did you update by usb or download via tv internet connection?

Have you tried these custom settings yet?

Edited by automan

Just remember what the fw updates did to the C7000. Don't be in a rush to update, particularly if you don't see an issues with your existing fw. Let others do the update & see if they report any issues first.

Andys.

Just remember what the fw updates did to the C7000. Don't be in a rush to update, particularly if you don't see an issues with your existing fw. Let others do the update & see if they report any issues first.

Andys.

I did every fw upgrade as it came out on my old C7000 and never had any bugs what so ever.

I just updated to the new fw on my D8000 this morning.

So far nothing looks any different, will just try a 3D movie shortly and see if there is any difference.

I was tempted to get the 55 D8000 LED because HN told me i wont have the 64 D8000 i ordered 2 months ago until late July! but went into the shop today and saw the 59 on display and so i decided to wait for my plasma rather than get the LED and also from this review!

I did every fw upgrade as it came out on my old C7000 and never had any bugs what so ever.

If you're comfortable doing the fw updates then so be it. I would treat every Samsung fw update as a beta test and only update after others have reported there's no issues.

Out of interest, what happened to your C7000?

Andys.

If you're comfortable doing the fw updates then so be it. I would treat every Samsung fw update as a beta test and only update after others have reported there's no issues.

Out of interest, what happened to your C7000?

Andys.

I can confirm that the 1012 fw upgrade is fine.

Make sure you do the factory reset after downloading the fw otherwise you wont get the internet going on it I ound out so frustratingly last night.

Regarding the C7000, it was a loud buzzer, also the picture went out and was not fixable so samsung replaced it with the C8000 because the C7000 was finished model.

Regarding the C7000, it was a loud buzzer, also the picture went out and was not fixable so samsung replaced it with the D8000 because the C7000 was finished model.

That's a great outcome. The D8000 looks to be a good step-up from the C7000. (I love the silver bezel. Great to see them back).

Andys.

Andys.

You can take them to the water but you cant make them drink.

That's a great outcome. The D8000 looks to be a good step-up from the C7000. (I love the silver bezel. Great to see them back).

Andys.

Yes it is a great upgrade so I am very happy. Silver is refreshing change.

Regarding the FW updates, I was under the impression that the manufactures would put them through extensive testing before releasing into the public.

If they did not then they would hurt their profit margins by increasing the numbers of people going through the service centres under warranty claims to rectify any fault that it can cause.

Also if we dont update when new FW become available then we lose new additions to the internet App's and other new additions they like to add via online connections.

For example if anyone out there has last years C series 6 or 7 then you should update the FW so you get Bigpond movies and the AFL and NRL apps which became availiable in May for your tv's.

These are David Katzmaier's from Cnet's settings http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-529125.html

Hi,

I have tried these settings along with Cue's and Tiveo's from the US forum and Im not that impressed with any of them.

Seeing that you have had your tv longer and have most likely tweaked it a bit, can you please post your settings for me to key in and check out.

Hi,

I have tried these settings along with Cue's and Tiveo's from the US forum and Im not that impressed with any of them.

Seeing that you have had your tv longer and have most likely tweaked it a bit, can you please post your settings for me to key in and check out.

Hey,

Only had mine for a couple of weeks but I've tried a few different settings including most on the US forums. Cue's and Zoyd's I thought were pretty good but David K's to me seem to be the most natural looking colours without too much saturation but still keeping it vivid and interesting. But they also gave me the best blacks :D

But that's only my opinion, you may like a brighter punchier picture? And ofcourse these are only starting blocks as all displays are obviously different.

Maybe try increasing the cell light and contrast etc. or if you could be bothered try a calibration disk. Or pay a pro (not real easy to find a good one in aus I'm guessing).

I have the same 59" that Davids Katzmaier calibrated so maybe that helped, do you have the 51", 59" or 64"?

I know the 51" owners have commented that other peoples setting's for the 59" and 64" have been way out when dialled in on their sets and it's also been stated that again the larger 59" and 64" sets have lower black levels than the 51". Samsung seem to be making a habit of this.