Sign in to follow this  
DrP

Freeview Vs. Dvb

Freeeview guide:

start: 2011/03/11 20:34:00

end: 2011/03/11 21:30:00

Title: Reaper

Description: Reaper - Sam, Sock and Ben capture an escaped soul and take the snow globe vessel to the DMV to turn it in, but discover Gladys is on vacation as all the demons take Halloween off. (Leon) (2000) (Bret Harrison/Tyler Labine/Rick Gonzalez)

DVB EIT guide:

start: 2011/03/11 20:30:00

end: 2011/03/11 23:40:00

Title: 2011 NAB Cup

Description: The NAB Cup is up for grabs and pre-season glory. Will these teams go on to greater heights in 2010?

Its soooo good when the transmitted guides agree with what is on, isn't it.

The CRID for Reaper indicates that its not part of any particular program (ie, its not actually Reaper rather something else that is not an episodic 'series' where there is an overlying general program name but it does have the same name as Reaper) but the episode component of the CRID is in the same sequence as previous Reaper episodes according to my database.

So what will actually screen in regional QLD on 7mate tonight and would a 'freeview' PVR implode under the strain of confusion? :unsure:

Edited by DrP

well I just saw an ad promoting NAB 2011 tonight on 7mate.

My EIT EPG says:

Starts: 11/03/2011 8:29:00 PM

Length: 03:11:00

Ends: 11:40:00 PM

EIT Source: n/a

Name: 2011 NAB Cup

It's a blockbuster Grand Final clash between two old great rivals. The Bombers will be searching for its first premiership in 10 years. While the Magpies look to add more silverware to the cabinet...

Description Source: DVB Short Event

Descriptor: Content Descriptor

Content: undefined content (user 0x0/0x0)

Descriptor: Parental Rating Descriptor

Parental rating: Country AUS Rating Not classified

i= added by me.

Freeview EPG coming

EDIT: Trying to get Freeview EPG, but keep getting: "Failed to process DSMCC file: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values."

Edited by digitalj

So what will actually screen in regional QLD on 7mate tonight and would a 'freeview' PVR implode under the strain of confusion? :unsure:

... and the winner weighing in at a measley 150kbit/sec over the heavyweight competitor weighing in at over 500kbit/sec isssssss

E.... I.... T! <crowd cheers>

Some have said that the freeview guide will improve with time. So far everything I've seen indicates the freeview guide is going backwards in terms if usefulness, ie its getting worse.

Anyway, I suspect that tonight's (11/3/11) schedules will be a bit out of whack as a result of a certain event in Japan.

Somehow I don't think that the freeview guide authors knew about the Japan earthquake at 5am 13/03/2011. But I might be wrong. :winky:

Freeeview guide:

start: 2011/03/11 20:34:00

end: 2011/03/11 21:30:00

Title: Reaper

Description: Reaper - Sam, Sock and Ben capture an escaped soul and take the snow globe vessel to the DMV to turn it in, but discover Gladys is on vacation as all the demons take Halloween off. (Leon) (2000) (Bret Harrison/Tyler Labine/Rick Gonzalez)

DVB EIT guide:

start: 2011/03/11 20:30:00

end: 2011/03/11 23:40:00

Title: 2011 NAB Cup

Description: The NAB Cup is up for grabs and pre-season glory. Will these teams go on to greater heights in 2010?

Its soooo good when the transmitted guides agree with what is on, isn't it.

The CRID for Reaper indicates that its not part of any particular program (ie, its not actually Reaper rather something else that is not an episodic 'series' where there is an overlying general program name but it does have the same name as Reaper) but the episode component of the CRID is in the same sequence as previous Reaper episodes according to my database.

My STB EPG had Reaper listed @ that time followed by Texas Chainsaw Massacre

SBS One had a continuos coverage of the Japan Quake & Tsunami

I'm sure that anyone that tuned in to catch the freeview guide advised episode of Reaper last night - 'Love, Bullets and Blacktop', would have been thrilled to be entertained by Family Guy, American Dad. But atleast the freeview guide and the EIT guide agreed that Reaper would be shown.

But wait, there's more.

According to Freeview EPG Reaper was followed by a movie Role Model. Here the freeview guide and EIT guide diverge. According to the EIT guide Urban Legends: Bloody Mary was to be screened. Role Model actually screened.

Who are these clowns kidding? Writing random programs on a wall and then throwing darts would result in more useful information.

Looking forward to next Friday I see that Reaper and American Psycho are scheduled on 7mate. Any guesses as to what will actually run? If you are willing to make a guess, please submit them to freeview because they sure as hell don't know what's on.

Edited by DrP

So here we are, another Friday is just around the corner. What's the guide say:

Freeview EPG: 8:30pm Reaper

EIT EPG: 8:30pm 2011 AFL - Rnd 1: Geelong vs St Kilda

Oh dear. Series link?! Sure, but don't expect to record what you want, when you want!

... and let's hope you don't read the freeview EPG and think "I'll stay up and watch American Psycho".

What will actually screen on 7mate in regional QLD Friday night? Bets anyone? :mellow:

Apparently Reaper, a show about a 20-something whose parent's sold his soul to the devil, involves a team of burly men running up and down a field kicking a ball....

Freeview: 0

EIT: 2

Reality: 2

What a joke.

Edited by DrP

Apparently Reaper, a show about a 20-something whose parent's sold his soul to the devil, involves a team of burly men running up and down a field kicking a ball....

Freeview: 0

EIT: 2

Reality: 2

What a joke.

Reaper is pretty lame, I watched about 6 episodes of it, every week is the same. Tonight at 2030 The Cape. (A Superhero movie).

Tonight at 2030 The Cape. (A Superhero movie).

The Cape's actually a series. Starts tonight with a double episode on 7mate.

So here we are, another Friday. "What's on TV tonight", I wonder.

Freeview EPG: The Cape

EIT EPG: 2011 AFL Premiership Season

Ah its so good when the broadcast TV guides agree with each other, isn't it... although I suppose that 'The Cape' may, like 'Reaper', actually be a program about burly men chasing a ball up and down a field.

Freeview, what a joke.

Aside from the 1% discrepancy rate, it is interesting that the Freeview EPG and EIT do differ given Freeview have stated the base data source will be the same for both guides.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Anyone with a modicum bit of skill can observe both EPG's data and discover that they are clearly derived from the same base source. One would have to be a fool to imagine that its not possible for one of the EPG sources to have alterations made to the event lineup prior to transmission as the provisioning systems differ. Perhaps it is unwise to listen to a person who by his own admissions hasn't even looked at the transmitted data.

Still, the fact that the EPG accuracy is slowly sliding backwards and the fact that the freeview and EIT EPG's can't even agree with what's actually on does conflict with statements made by a certain forum member that 'its getting better' and that 'freeview is doing everything it can to improve it'. I'm sure those with 'freeview EPG' enabled receivers would be thrilled to a) not know that the 2011 premiership was going to be screened or B) record the 2011 premiership instead of the series 'The Cape'. ^_^

Edited by DrP

According to the Freeview guide next Friday will see The Cape (Kozmo) and The Event screening. Any guesses as to what will actually screen? Will the Freeview EPG get it right after a month of divergence from reality?

Time will tell.

Anyone with a modicum bit of skill can observe both EPG's data and discover that they are clearly derived from the same base source.
Well I can't lay claim to having a modicum of much, but you're saying that at some point both the EIT and Freeview EPG data was the same. ie both said at 7:30 Friday 'this' will be on. (Note this is in their database, not what is yet transmitted). It would appear that Freeview gets (updates) its data later than the EIT as both started off showing the wrong show, but then the EIT was updated to show the correct one.

Must admit if Freeview is going to market itself as a 'premium' EIT EPG they're going to have to do better than this.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

It you re-read my post you'll see that the base data is the same (bolded for your benefit). As for getting updated 'later', let's see how much 'later'... hmm, it appears to be... well... never. Its amazing what a little real world observation can reveal compared to the suppositions of one who has never looked at the data.

Right now EIT says next Friday:

2030 2011 AFL Premiership Season

2345 The Cape

....while good old 'accurate' Freeview EPG says next Friday:

2030 The Cape

2130 The Event

2330 Club Reps

Based upon the past several week's performance it will be showing incorrect listings right up until the moment that the events age out of the transmission.

Anyway, back in the real world, I wonder what will actually screen on 7mate the coming Friday. I bet people with 'freeview EPG' enabled receivers are wondering too. :lol:

Edited by DrP

DrP doesn't seem to realise I'm using DrP as an authorative source of data. I'm only commenting on the observations DrP makes. At this point the EIT guide seems to be updated effectively (if not accurately), while the Freeview guide isn't. Given both start from the same starting point the divergence is the point of interest (to me) . As I said, that's unacceptable from a product marketing itself as premium.

Regards

Peter Gilllespie