Sign in to follow this  
XxDeadlyxX

Complete List Of Cropped & Open Matte Australian Releases

Larry Crowne distributed by Pinnacle films is cropped.

Roadshows Red Dog is OAR.

Thanks, added. Just having a glance on Quickflix I thought it was released by Universal here but obviously not!

Also that is excellent news about Red Dog, I'm really glad they didn't screw that one up.

Spartacus (50th anniversary edition)

Not sure about this one, websites say OAR is 2:35:1 but back of cover on both the Australian and UK releases state 1:85:1.

can anyone confirm what these releases actually are, hoping back covers are incorrect.

Unopened christmas present, will keep if AR is original 2:35:1

I would say that it is almost certainly 2.35:1 OAR since it would be the same Universal disc released in other territories such as the US where it is OAR... and Universal are known to sometimes list incorrect OAR.

It is 2.35:1, or at least looks like it. Having bought it, I will probably switch to the Criterion for the slightly better (less edge-enhanced) transfer.

I had sent Eagle Entertainment an email asking why they don't always issue their blurays in OAR. Happily I received a response, which is more than I can say for Roadshow and Sony who did not bother to reply.

Thanks for your feedback.

I have passed your comments on to the department responsible.

Unfortunately this is one of those areas where you can't please everyone and

as one of the smaller players in the market we cannot afford to acquire

multiple masters to cover all the different content distribution channels we

need to satisfy.

Craig Nicholls

Sales & Marketing

Eagle Entertainment

[email protected]

Thought I would post an update to this thread since it's been a while - yes I am still borrowing and looking out for suspect local titles that may be cropped... haven't found one for a little while which is a good thing. But for every good one I check, there are bound to be more bad ones.

Have some good news though - picked up The Hunter today which I was really looking forward to watching, and can report that it is OAR 2.35:1 with great PQ, and LPCM 5.1 soundtrack. Very impressed and would recommend the movie!!

Update: New Addition:

The Butterfly Effect 3: Revelations (Icon) - open matte & reframing - US version is OAR - more picture info on top/bottom, less on sides

I actually had this one in my collection for a while but never got a chance to view it.

By the way these ones with less on the sides are almost as bad as ones that are put into the 'Cropped' section (those have no extra top info that's the difference), this typically happens when the film is either shot on Super35 or digital, and they mess around with the framing for the Blu-ray release.

Edited by XxDeadlyxX

After deciding to buy A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT from Umbrella, I checked a review I read a ways back of the US release. It appears to have the OAR of 1.85:1 as per IMDB (i.e. slightly letterboxed on 16:9).

A local review of the Umbrella release says it's 1.66:1. It did say the picture quality was comparable to the US disc, but it sounds like Umbrella may have used a Euro transfer? Anyway, it's something to consider.

Thanks for the info, so can you confirm the AU version is 1.66:1 versus the US's 1.85:1? That might be a mistake... imdb does not mention 1.66:1 so it is possible that the AU is in fact 1.85:1 but the information the reviewer gave is wrong. Anyone know?

By the way I borrowed 'Trespass' (Nicole Kidman, Nic Cage) today, a local Roadshow new release title, and I can happily confirm it is OAR. Hopefully Roadshow are not reframing or cropping new titles these days as much as they used to.

Just borrowed Colombiana (Roadshow), and it is OAR 2.35:1. A good sign that hopefully all new Roadshow releases are OAR.

Watched a Icon double feature disc over the weekend featuring Staten Island & Brooklyn Rules. Staten Island was OAR, However Brooklyn Rules was cropped.

Thanks to Quickflix. Here is three more titles from the past 6 weeks.

The First Grader (Roadshow) Cropped/ Reframing. Depending on the Scene, there was either heaps of info missing from the Left or the Right.

I Melt With You (Universal). Majority of the film was Open Matte, But I noticed one scene was cropped :hmm:. US is OAR.

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (Pinnacle Films). Cropped. US is OAR

Original post updated with all 4 new cropped titles.

Thanks athlon for the very detailed reports on the transfers!! Looks like the aussie studios are still putting out some stinkers.

I borrowed Snow flower last week and noticed it was 1.78 but I did not have the US disc for comparison, thanks for confirming it is cropped.

Edited by XxDeadlyxX

Here's two discs that are listed to be incorrect ratios but ARE actually correct on disc.

Exorcismus by Vendetta Films is listed as 1.78:1 but is actually presented in the correct 2.35:1

In the Name of the King by Eagle Entertainment is listed as 1.78:1 but is actually presented in the correct 2.35:1