Sign in to follow this  
alanh

A Proper Dab+/am/fm/usb/sd/mp3 Car Tuner

Yes the aerial makes the difference. When does it break up when going up the F3 or up the Windsor road? I wonder it could be product itself given you have a different brand.

I drove up Windsor road yesterday, had reception all the way to McGraths Hill, it dropped off as I went down the dip on the other side of Pitt Town Rd where I did a u-turn. There were a couple of patchy areas as I came back through the industrial area but fine again on Windsor Rd

I drove up Windsor road yesterday, had reception all the way to McGraths Hill, it dropped off as I went down the dip on the other side of Pitt Town Rd where I did a u-turn. There were a couple of patchy areas as I came back through the industrial area but fine again on Windsor Rd

Recently I "reseated" the aerial connector. I think it has improved it, unless it is total coincidence. Today I drove from Hornsby to Botany. No dropouts. I thought it would drop out around the city. Now the spot around Thompson Corner doesn't seem to drop out. Keep you posted when I go out towards to Kellyville etc if it makes any change. Unless they have made some changes to power of the transmission or the current humid weather is better for DAB transmission.

So, thought I would see how you DAB+ car radio users are travelling? I recently installed a Kenwood headunit, with DAB+ in my Mazda MX-5. Didn't install the interior glass aerial as there just isn't enough glass in a MX-5 :)

Anyway, is anyone here using an external DAB+ aerial, such as the ones available on http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/DAB_car_aerials.html

I looking at this one in particular ==>> http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Hirschmann_AUTA_16_V_DAB_DAB_car_aerial.html it can be had on ebay from the uk for around $90 including shipping.

All thoughts welcome.

Jeff.

Juffa,

It sounds fine. It should work here. We don't need the L band.

The 75 degree angle is for asthetic reasons, vertical will give more reliable reception, particularly if it's near the centre of the roof. However it would be much easier to replace the existing antenna of a similar type. Don't forget you will have to supply 12 V from the accessory position of the ignition switch.

AlanH

Thanks Alan. I've actually decided to try a DAB splitter, just over $40 shipped. It will spilt the normal aerial Coaxial cable into coax and SMB. This allows me to keep the original aerial. If that doesn't work I will look at the replacement aerial instead.

Jeff.

Tested my car radio in Canberra after 1 year. Before, despite line of site with telstra tower it dropped out continuously , it was no good to listen to. Now no more drop outs. Could this have something with the analog tv switch off? could it be in the past, interfering with the type of aerial in my car?

Edited by mgaleano

mgaleano,

It is likely that since analog TV was transmitted at 4 times the power of their digital counterparts that these analog signals overloaded your receiver causing errors.This is very likely with line of sight transmissions of high powered signals.

Alanh

yes it seems like that. With the amplified aerial the really bad patches were within the 10 km zone from black mountain. Previously about 20 km as the crow flys there was ok reception. Other portable radios were fine was just my car radio.

Anyway whatever it was it seems to be ok now. There was some break up in the westfields car park at belconnen but thats expected.

Drove from Narellan Vale(Near Campbelltown NSW) to bowral yesterday-not many dropouts but lost signal totally when I came over big hill just before bowral turnoff, Same start location-Narellan vale to Umina on the NSW Central coast-maybe 5 or 6 short dropouts when between high buildings between M7 and Central coast highway and total loss when driving down woy woy RD.

Head unit: Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB-Performs better than my neighbours VW factory stereo at less than half the price.