23 hours ago, duke said:

Dolby Vision?

I'm guessing HDR10+(dynamic HDR) and eARC ?

Edited by Shankman

7 hours ago, Shankman said:

I'm guessing HDR10+(dynamic HDR) and eARC ?

On the right track with dynamic HDR of one variety or the other I agree ; eARC will come with hdmi 2.1 but [ and that's not a firmware upgrade unfortunately -_-

6 hours ago, cwt said:

On the right track with dynamic HDR of one variety or the other I agree ; eARC will come with hdmi 2.1 but [ and that's not a firmware upgrade unfortunately -_-

From what I've researched dynamic HDR and eARC can hopefully (hdmi.org is a bit vague on the wording) both be added via firmware even though they're part of HDMI 2.1

It's the higher bandwidth specifications of HDMI 2.1 which would need new hardware\chips and not firmware up-gradable. 

Hoping Panasonic hits it out of the park with both those features :)

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

"Dynamic HDR

Q: Is this accessible via a firmware upgrade?

A: Manufacturers will be implementing this in various ways

eARC

Q: Is this available through a firmware upgrade?

A: Depends on manufacturer implementation"

Edited by Shankman

Even if that's what it is I would think that's going to be in their 2018 models so could possibly be up to 12 months away from being available here.

I wouldn't want one without Dolby Vision either as it may end up being kick ass and adopted by most studios.

5 hours ago, Shankman said:

From what I've researched dynamic HDR and eARC can hopefully (hdmi.org is a bit vague on the wording) both be added via firmware even though they're part of HDMI 2.1

It's the higher bandwidth specifications of HDMI 2.1 which would need new hardware\chips and not firmware up-gradable. 

Hoping Panasonic hits it out of the park with both those features :)

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/

Yes the wording is a bit vague [ depends on what the ce is willing to pay to get earc functionality ; a bit like paying to pass HDR for the dearer avr's ] . It comes down to the bandwidth thats available from the chipset and the current hdmi 2.0 cant handle lossless from ARC ; not to mention object audio metadata on top of this . SP/DIF capability = lossy codecs only unfortunately ..

Arguably the biggest downside to ARC is that, since it was originally designed to replace the TV's digital audio output, it supports only the transmission of the same PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS soundtracks that will pass over the SPDIF output. It doesn't currently support the passage of Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, although a representative from the HDMI Forum told me that this support is possible and could find its way into a future HDMI version

And it has ; which is good ..

http://hometheaterreview.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-arc-audio-return-channel/

• Like 1