Sign in to follow this  
Venus

Give Away: Loewe Planus 4781 Zp

Hi all,

Rather than take this unit straight to the dump, I thought I'd see if there are any takers for parts. It was never the same after the recommended Loewe service a few years back and has now stopped working altogether. I didn't see the sense in throwing any more money at it. I also have the remote, user guide and tech specs. If interested, send me a PM. I'm at the Caloundra end of the Sunshine Coast.

Cheers.

I had serviced my mum's Loewe 'Cantus' TV a few years ago, it was particularly well made and robust but to find an engineered fault in it astounded me. The fault took me all but a few moments to locate and fix with a soldering iron.

It was simply a TO-126 transistor (possibly working as a current regulator without a heatsink) and was very poorly soldered into its 'i-lets' on the circuit board, most obvious was the two dry joints 'designed' to go 'open' through heat stress after some years of usage. The TV had ceased to function until I had re-soldered these two joints. Once I had done that I turned on the power switch, activated the 'On' of the remote and.........Whalla ! Perfect picture and sound.

I just hate designed obsolescence and I think it goes on more often than we would hope. I wonder how many Plasma's and LCD TV's suffer from such manipulation at an owner's exspense.

Venus, if there is a local TV serviceman you might ask to have a quick look, you might find your TV is perfectly okay if obvious fault is located and re-soldered. Getting the back cover off the TV was the biggest problem I had in fixing this set.

C.M

Edited by Chicken Man

I had serviced my mum's Loewe 'Cantus' TV a few years ago, it was particularly well made and robust but to find an engineered fault in it astounded me. The fault took me all but a few moments to locate and fix with a soldering iron.

It was simply a TO-126 transistor (possibly working as a current regulator without a heatsink) and was very poorly soldered into its 'i-lets' on the circuit board, most obvious was the two dry joints 'designed' to go 'open' through heat stress after some years of usage. The TV had ceased to function until I had re-soldered these two joints. Once I had done that I turned on the power switch, activated the 'On' of the remote and.........Whalla ! Perfect picture and sound.

I just hate designed obsolescence and I think it goes on more often than we would hope. I wonder how many Plasma's and LCD TV's suffer from such manipulation at an owner's exspense.

Venus, if there is a local TV serviceman you might ask to have a quick look, you might find your TV is perfectly okay if obvious fault is located and re-soldered. Getting the back cover off the TV was the biggest problem I had in fixing this set.

C.M

If you have ever worked for a loewe service centre, after any repair you re-solder all semiconductors around ths big L shape heatsink & heat sink earth tabs & power supply earth tabs, this is standard.

Edited by jrp001

If you have ever worked for a loewe service centre, after any repair you re-solder all semiconductors around ths big L shape heatsink & heat sink earth tabs & power supply earth tabs, this is standard.

That does say something in itself, doesn't it. A big brand name with an expensive line of TV's should at least give some degree of assurance that the product their customers buy will give at least 5 to 6 years of trouble free service, with the provision of the first 5 years being under a manufacturer's warranty. Incidentally, consumers actually pay for the manufacturer's warranty in the price of the product.

Personally, I would never buy a Loewe product on the basis of an engineered failure regardless of its perceived performance.

C.M

That does say something in itself, doesn't it. A big brand name with an expensive line of TV's should at least give some degree of assurance that the product their customers buy will give at least 5 to 6 years of trouble free service, with the provision of the first 5 years being under a manufacturer's warranty. Incidentally, consumers actually pay for the manufacturer's warranty in the price of the product.

Personally, I would never buy a Loewe product on the basis of an engineered failure regardless of its perceived performance.

C.M

these sets have a great pix when beside other crt sets and i have owned 2 high end loewe's one 32 inch wide screen worth $4800.

I still have a grundig 95cm with toshiba picture tube, digital signal processing & 100Hz, This set must be over 15 years old worth toward the $10,000 mark.

This set was kick ass in its day & still has a great pix with no flairing of the RGB guns even with the contrast & brightness full.

They don't make tv's like this anymore.

and no i would not get a loewe flat panel, the quality is not as good these days.