Sign in to follow this  
geezer32

Bluray Ripping Advice

For any mac users I purchased pavtube bluray ripper, so far pretty good can even do 7 ch sound. It's pretty slow though but quality excellent I usually do 1080p mkv's.

The tech support is brilliant I had an issue when first purchased and I got an answer from a support guy and he just keeps sending me updates and I keep sending him feedback.

I use to use make mkv and handbrake and just wanted a one program fix.

For any mac users I purchased pavtube bluray ripper, so far pretty good can even do 7 ch sound. It's pretty slow though but quality excellent I usually do 1080p mkv's.

The tech support is brilliant I had an issue when first purchased and I got an answer from a support guy and he just keeps sending me updates and I keep sending him feedback.

I use to use make mkv and handbrake and just wanted a one program fix.

I am very interested, was just about to purchase MakeMKV but sounds like you are reducing the size of the BD's through the ripping stage also, if so what sort of size are you getting down too? Are you seeing any noticable picture quality reductions?

Make MKV rips are taking me about 40mins per disc at the original output, what sort of times are you looking at?

May just download the free trial and have a play.

I am very interested, was just about to purchase MakeMKV but sounds like you are reducing the size of the BD's through the ripping stage also, if so what sort of size are you getting down too? Are you seeing any noticable picture quality reductions?

Make MKV rips are taking me about 40mins per disc at the original output, what sort of times are you looking at?

May just download the free trial and have a play.

You can adjust the Pq to suit whatever file size, it also has usual auto ones like atv, ipod etc. I did the sound of music at high quality and it was about 8gb but it took 7 hours.

The plus side is the PQ and AQ are very good, friends can't believe that it's a ripped copy

Only problem with Pavtube it like most others doesn't support keeping the HD audio tracks. Otherwise its performance is pretty good. Took about 4 hrs for me to rip down a main movie only bluray to 8gb mkv

Bd rebuilder is the only one ive seen that can keep the original audio but I've never been able to have my pc grinding for 20+ hrs that it takes

You can adjust the Pq to suit whatever file size, it also has usual auto ones like atv, ipod etc. I did the sound of music at high quality and it was about 8gb but it took 7 hours.

The plus side is the PQ and AQ are very good, friends can't believe that it's a ripped copy

Thanks Rob, I may stick with full output size, time is the issue and with HDD storage being so cheap it makes it an easier thing to accept having 30GB files.

Thanks Rob, I may stick with full output size, time is the issue and with HDD storage being so cheap it makes it an easier thing to accept having 30GB files.

Hmm correction, just looked more closely at the rip with pavtube I did. PQ is shite on 'The Box' compressed down to 8gb file

Still don't agree that HDD are that cheap, but I've given up for now on s/w compressing. its either too slow or they dont work properly

Still don't agree that HDD are that cheap, but I've given up for now on s/w compressing. its either too slow or they dont work properly

About $2 to store a 30GB file is cheap in my book.

Edited by Hi-Fi Whipped

It may be cheap but the initial setup for a storage device like a file server is expensive even when you do have 8gb files but then again 8gb is acceptable but not great! most blurays are around the 30-45gb mark so your looking at something like a 40-60% percent loss.

If you get rid of the black bars top and bottom screen also sub titles you should end up with around a 20gb file obviously with some compression

try

mkvmerge v4.4.0 and encode it to a VC-1 file (ReMux = Combining Video + AudioStream but get rid of subtitles) by the end of it you should get a decent file still around the 20gb file.

It may be cheap but the initial setup for a storage device like a file server is expensive even when you do have 8gb files but then again 8gb is acceptable but not great! most blurays are around the 30-45gb mark so your looking at something like a 40-60% percent loss.

By my reckoning it might be $6 per movie on a RAID 5 NAS.

For the 1st 15 movies maybe. then what? , but it doesnt cost $2 for a multi- drive NAS system with RAID

For the 1st 15 movies maybe. then what? , but it doesnt cost $2 for a multi- drive NAS system with RAID
I was working on $600 for the NAS and 4 2 Tb drives for $400.

$1000 total.

Then divided the space available by 30 Gbytes/

Might be a tad low.

Just a simple question to the BD ripping brains trust... I have ripped a BD using AnyDVD HD and have the movie split across a number of m2ts files (and don't know which ones). What is the best software to get the m2ts files merged back together and possibly reduce the overall size or is this asking two questions answered by two different tasks??

David.

PS Not PC genius so simple answers using simple software/GUI only!!

Just a simple question to the BD ripping brains trust... I have ripped a BD using AnyDVD HD and have the movie split across a number of m2ts files (and don't know which ones). What is the best software to get the m2ts files merged back together and possibly reduce the overall size or is this asking two questions answered by two different tasks??

David.

PS Not PC genius so simple answers using simple software/GUI only!!

I always rip to an ISO file. I can't see any point at all for extracting to a folder structure that some people like to do. More often than not the m2ts files are not in a single file as well if you're after just the raw data file.

An iso everything is in one file and you are sure all the menus and forced subs are going to work properly which is not guaranteed with the m2ts file only. You can choose either option with anydvd.

I always rip to an ISO file. I can't see any point at all for extracting to a folder structure that some people like to do. More often than not the m2ts files are not in a single file as well if you're after just the raw data file.

An iso everything is in one file and you are sure all the menus and forced subs are going to work properly which is not guaranteed with the m2ts file only. You can choose either option with anydvd.

Thanks, but doesn't an ISO file contain menus etc? All I want is the main feature reduceed to a reasonable size. I was using XVID4PSP to reduce my m2ts file but I cant do this when the main feature is spresad across multiple m2ts files. I even tried MergeMKV and it didn't like m2ts files!!!!

David.

Thanks, but doesn't an ISO file contain menus etc? All I want is the main feature reduceed to a reasonable size. I was using XVID4PSP to reduce my m2ts file but I cant do this when the main feature is spresad across multiple m2ts files. I even tried MergeMKV and it didn't like m2ts files!!!!

David.

As stated above, check out clown_bd and bd_rebuild.

Hi,

lots of great advice in here thanks :).

I have a different question of sorts....

I'd like to know what arrangements I can make with my current hardware setup to stream BR movies.

I have:

NAS (QNAP)

Oppo BD-83

Toshiba HD XE-1

Integra DTR 7.8

Playstation 3

I am interested in storing these at 1:1 movie only with HD audio if possible.

I have region A and B discs (oppo is region modded). If I can't remove region coding then that's no issue though as most of my films are local purchase or UK.

Some suggestions in how to rip these and what I can play them on would be very welcome :). I am a tech savvy person but have no experience with this.

I don't have a BR reader yet.... am looking at what my hardware will do for me first :). Is there a preferred brand/model?

David.

Not neccisarily, you can extract movie only without extras and menus etc to an iso. I use DVDFAB for this with no compression. The advantage of keeping ISO format is as you mentioned, most titles now are broken into many m2ts files so you get a single file. Subs will also work always too which is not the case with raw m2ts. If you want to comress down, then thats another issue. Most if any of the progs mentioned in this thread such as clown don't keep the HD audio intact though.

I think though if you are using an XVID codec to compress the movies, you are wasting your time, and may as well start with a 4gb DVD as the image will be degraded so much by converting to xvid

Playstation 3

You haven't tried PS3 Media server?

Using Clown_BD (with AnyDVD HD) I've been able to rip Blu-ray disks to hard-disk then stream to my PS3 via PS3 Media Server. Hasn't worked too perfection just yet, because I haven't had time to really sit down and figure out every last permutation that will give perfection, but so far a 75% success rate after ripping six blu-ray movies to hard disk.

The audio is HD in case you're wondering... streamed to a 5.1 speaker system via a HDMI connected Integra.

The PS3 is actually a damned fine media streamer when used with PS3 media server...

Have a Happy New Year!!! :D

I have a QNAP NAS with all my ripped BR disks.

I use AnyDVD HD and ClownBD and only extract the movie and the HD audio and stream via ehternet from my eGreat player. OUTSTANDING! No compression whatsoever so quality is same as the original BR disk.