Sign in to follow this  
Mysterious

Digital In Alice Springs

Hi All,

Anyone know when we might finally have imparja 7 and 10 local trasmission in Alice Springs?? I heard early sept but alas nothing yet!

Cheers

Hi All,

Anyone know when we might finally have imparja 7 and 10 local trasmission in Alice Springs?? I heard early sept but alas nothing yet!

Cheers

I am not sure about Alice but it is my understanding that Ten central a station similar to DDT Ten Darwin will start transmissions from May next year, Imparja and SCTV will also be expected to go digital at the same time, and therefore will share the same transmitter (imparja, ten central and sctv) until the changeover to digital at the end of 2013. Then imparja, southern cross and ten central will have their own transmitter starting from 2014.

http://www.mediaspy.org/report/2010/05/20/...art-next-month/

Edited by willwalk

Hi All,

Cheers

Hi,

I keep hearing December 2010 for more commercial DTV... anyone know if that's going to happen??

Regards,

Nathan

NathInAlice,

I suggest you ring Imparja and ask them. Then post their answer here.

AlanH

Supposedly Central Comms have installed all of the Transmitting gear and are awaiting the towers to be strengthened to install the new antennas. Will that have all of the channels, probably.

Central Comms reckon it will be March at the latest...

Supposedly Central Comms have installed all of the Transmitting gear and are awaiting the towers to be strengthened to install the new antennas. Will that have all of the channels, probably.

Central Comms reckon it will be March at the latest...

That estimate is starting to look good.

The ACMA have "determined" that 18 April 2011 is the start date for at least one DTV transmitter in the Remote eastern and Mount Isa areas:

http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_312452

This usually means that the broadcasters have given the "ready" signal to the ACMA. My guess is that this will mean Imparja and SC in Alice Springs.

Regards,

Will

I gave up waitin and got VAST.

The reason we still dont have any broadcast in alice is because of a slight problem with the new transmission equipment in that Imparja's ad system (detects the special break in programming and plays ads) is an old dos based thing... the new digital system is totally different...so imparja is still trying to sort that out. This is why on VAST ch 10, 7two 7mate go gem dont have actual advertising...they just have those cutscenes of random places with boring music.

Anyway still not holding my breath... if you can afford VAST, get it, well worth the money!

It looks like there will be a delay of a couple of weeks for digital commercials in Alice Springs:

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/..._digital_tv.pdf

The highlights are: Commencement date now 2nd May 2011. Possibly starting in both Alice Springs and Mount Isa. If not, then Mount Isa will be second site. CDT to start by 3rd May.

No mention of additional "multichannels".

Regards,

Will

It looks like there will be a delay of a couple of weeks for digital commercials in Alice Springs:

http://www.acma.gov.au/webwr/_assets/main/..._digital_tv.pdf

The highlights are: Commencement date now 2nd May 2011. Possibly starting in both Alice Springs and Mount Isa. If not, then Mount Isa will be second site. CDT to start by 3rd May.

No mention of additional "multichannels".

Regards,

Will

Was a small article in Fridays Centralian Advocate, stating that the multi channels would also be live May 2..! We can only hope :D

Alice Springs Viewers,

The station to be installed is QQQ38 (Southern Cross Broadcasting) on RF channel 38. Radiated power 0.5 kW and horizontal polarisation is used.

Existing antennas are designed to receive this channel.

Since only one transmitter will be installed, you will receive Imparja SD, TEN SD and 7 SD programs. No 7 mate, 72, Imparja HD, Go!, ONE HD or Eleven. You need two more transmitters to do this.

AlanH

Well this is interesting, they are testing at the moment, and we currently have 10, 11 and One HD broadcasting....

edit: One HD is broadcasting in HD, Ten and Eleven are in SD! No Imparja or SCTV yet!

Edited by Mysterious

Mysterious,

Don't get your hopes up. The transmitter is owned by Southern Cross Broadcasting, which is also a regional broadcaster of One, Ten and Eleven for all areas of Australia except WA country, Riverland and SE SA.

It is cheaper for them to test their transmitter with their own programs. There is insufficient capacity on a single TV channel to carry Imparja and 7 network programs. So once the system is proved to work and the licence is approved, you will get Imparja, TEN and Seven programs only.

AlanH

Mysterious,

Don't get your hopes up. The transmitter is owned by Southern Cross Broadcasting, which is also a regional broadcaster of One, Ten and Eleven for all areas of Australia except WA country, Riverland and SE SA.

Mysterious,

Do get your hopes up. There are three licences allocated in Alice Springs, each one for a 7MHz RF channel for digital television. This is the first site where commercial digital television on three RF channels has replaced the two broadcaster "remote" SC/Imparja set-up, so it will be interesting to see which transmitter, licensed to which broadcaster, transmits which network's programs.

You should have (now or in the next few days):

Channel 30, callsign IMP, licensed to Imparja Alice Springs. I think everyone would expect this would be used for Nine/Gem/Go.

Channel 38, callsign QQQ, licensed to Regional Television (Southern Cross Townsville). Based on Southern Cross experience elsewhere, this should broadcast an on-going Seven/Ten mix, but in Alice Springs and Mount Isa should also provide Seven Two and Seven Mate.

Channel 40, callsign CDT, licensed to Central Digital Television Pty Limited Alice Springs. This, by analogy with DDT, is the joint venture company and should be used for Ten/Eleven/One HD.

The complete unknown in Alice Springs and Mount Isa is NITV. Currently this is being transmitted on Imparja owned transmitters. Will this somehow be shoe-horned into the digital commercial scheme?

Now we should soon know. Which RF channel is being used for Ten/Eleven/One HD?

Regards,

Will

Edited by Will Plumridge

Hi Will, Sounds interesting!

10/OneHD/11 is currently airing on Ch 40! No others yet!

I guess its all a waiting game to see what is airing on May 2nd!

Not overly fussed if we dont get the extra channels yet as i have Vast!

Hi Will, Sounds interesting!

10/OneHD/11 is currently airing on Ch 40! No others yet!

I guess its all a waiting game to see what is airing on May 2nd!

Not overly fussed if we dont get the extra channels yet as i have Vast!

If you don't mind telling us - just how much did your VAST installation cost you all up? I'm assuming that you didn't have any satellite equipment prior to this.

When you get all the channels, will you keep VAST or try to flog the gear?

Regards,

Will

If you don't mind telling us - just how much did your VAST installation cost you all up? I'm assuming that you didn't have any satellite equipment prior to this.

When you get all the channels, will you keep VAST or try to flog the gear?

Regards,

Will

Already had a dish on the roof prior... wont discuss whos ;)

Just bought a multi switch and the box and a few leads. Central comms here in Alice have the boxes $269 and the multi switch was $30 or something!

I will sell the box to my dad when all channels are digital here as he and mum are going to start travelling!

Well all channels are now airing dvb-t, still testin but obviously all 3 transmitters are active!

7 7mate 72 imparja go gem 10 11 Onehd and nitv!

Well all channels are now airing dvb-t, still testin but obviously all 3 transmitters are active!

7 7mate 72 imparja go gem 10 11 Onehd and nitv!

Well, Mysterious, it looks like you get to answer the great (as yet) unanswered question about DTV in the "remote" regions!

Which RF channel contains NITV and what LCN (logical channel number) is it using?

Regards,

Will

Well, Mysterious, it looks like you get to answer the great (as yet) unanswered question about DTV in the "remote" regions!

Which RF channel contains NITV and what LCN (logical channel number) is it using?

Regards,

Will

Ahhh i was misled :(

No Digital NITV yet :(

7/72/7m on 38

imp/gem/go on 30!

Ahhh i was misled :(

No Digital NITV yet :(

7/72/7m on 38

imp/gem/go on 30!

Thanks for those details. It is a bit sad about NITV. I suspect that just as community TV in the capital cities was "forgotten" by the DBCDE for a few years and not allocated channels for digital conversion (probably hoping that it would just go away), it seems that both NITV and community channel 68 Lismore are being allowed to "fall through the cracks".

Regards,

Will