Sign in to follow this  
Gutty

The Vinyl Room

Includes a code to d/load a 320kbps mp3 rip of the LP.

This seems to be getting more popular. Yesterday i recieved 4 newies from Vinyl-Eye, one of them being Nirvana - MTV Unplugged which also comes with an MP3 download of the album. I already have it on CD so won't be using it, but still, not a bad idea IMO.

Speaking of "wider groove spacing" in another thread.. lead to me dusting off Metamatic by John Foxx last night.

Impressive bass response even for a 33 rpm Lp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHSZGOXRfQA

I find the bass capability of vinyl quite outstanding actually. Discs like St germaines tourist, massive attack, nit in sawhney, talvin singh, Craig armstrongs storm etc are just mind blowing bass wise.

I think it's a common misconception. Oh vinyl can't do bass, because oh track width and needle will jump out and [email protected] with little knowledge that, that is why they invented riaa bias which is implemented in all hono stages. Ie when they record them they apply riaa pre emphasis to reduce bass Increase treble at point of recording, and then when playing back the phono stage would apply the de emphasis to cut treble and boost bass to end up with a flat response to what was recorded. A simple system that was invented back in 1946 with the columbia lp and implemented widely post 1954

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

Something that puts pay to those whom for whatever reason think vinyl not capable of top end or bass, but likely those sort of people typically not really heard a decent vinyl system anyhow...

I wonder what type of turntable and cartridge Jobs had...

[Neil] Young said the Apple co-founder [steve Jobs] was such a fan of music that he didn't use his iPod and its digitally compressed files at home. Instead, he used a physical format well-known to have better sound.

"Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. His legacy is tremendous," Young said on Tuesday in the US. "But when he went home, he listened to vinyl [albums]."

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1289091407' post='1635644]

QUOTE (Skid_MacMarx @ Nov 7 2010, 11:44 AM)

Speaking of "wider groove spacing" in another thread.. lead to me dusting off Metamatic by John Foxx last night.

Impressive bass response even for a 33 rpm Lp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHSZGOXRfQA

I find the bass capability of vinyl quite outstanding actually. Discs like St germaines tourist, massive attack, nit in sawhney, talvin singh, Craig armstrongs storm etc are just mind blowing bass wise.

I think it's a common misconception. Oh vinyl can't do bass, because oh track width and needle will jump out and [email protected] with little knowledge that, that is why they invented riaa bias which is implemented in all hono stages. Ie when they record them they apply riaa pre emphasis to reduce bass Increase treble at point of recording, and then when playing back the phono stage would apply the de emphasis to cut treble and boost bass to end up with a flat response to what was recorded. A simple system that was invented back in 1946 with the columbia lp and implemented widely post 1954

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

Something that puts pay to those whom for whatever reason think vinyl not capable of top end or bass, but likely those sort of people typically not really heard a decent vinyl system anyhow...

One very important benefit that came with using RIAA recording and playback equalization was the reduction in grove tracking noise, though it did emphasize low frequency rumble to some extent.

C.M

Nice ! The Once tables are truly beautiful, and from all reports sound just brilliant. Are you getting the old or new style plinth ?

The new style.

Was in JB HiFi at Penrith on the weekend, Great to see them selling a small collection of vinyl.

Went in to pick up the new Slash CD, left with:

Slash - Made in Stoke - CD

Slash - Made in Stoke - Blu-Ray

Motorhead - The World is Ours - Blu-Ray

Ben Harper and the Relentless 7 - Live from Montreal - CD

Nirvana - Live At Reading - Vinyl

Chris Shiflett and the Dead Peasants - Vinyl (He plays lead guitar for the Foo Fighters for anyone wondering)

U2 - October - Vinyl

Wish my local JB would stock some...

Edited by Gutty

[quote name= :)' timestamp='1283003518' post='1605908]

Mine is my dream rig, the rega p9. wub.gif

Being my ninth life, I'll be going to the grave with it ohmy.gif

I run it with the ortofon jubilee

And audio research ph5.

Makes for a lovely combo I think smile.gif

As I've said over at SNA, I bit the bullet and grabbed a P9 last year. Last in the country at the time...

I use a 2M Black and now a Graham Slee Reflex M. I find it a great combination and I would think outperforms my A3000 and B&W 600 series speakers, although Pure Direct sounds pretty good. The detail, the detail...

No, I'm not about to spend MORE money, but have you ever compared the Ortofon Jubilee with a mm like the 2M Black? They both run a nude shibata, I see.

I would think that the only upgrade "pre" amplifier I could do would be a MC and Elevator.

Geoff

Edited by geoffcb

hi geoff, cant comment jubilee vs the black . am a bit of a mc fan. have heard kontrapunkt blue vs the jubilee when demoing, and then my previous cart in the mc10 supreme. From what I know the black I think take mm's to a new level.

in the end it definitely all comes down to a sound that appeals and a combination that works together and delivers. and that way absolutely love the jubilee, do think its something quite special. to the point I went and grabbed another ! just incase some misfortune might befall the one I have or incase need to replace it down the track :)

ps got some goodies in the mail today :)

post-2123-0-87158400-1330515435_thumb.jp

very much looking forward to a listen !

couple of more records today, whitney houstons "whitney"

and I'm your baby tonight :)

already have the "whitney houston" debut album

that played a week or so ago on her passing. little daughter was with me that saturday morning "nice music daddy" she said. was quite intrigued by the big "DV-DV" with the little hole as she described the record hehe

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1330588254' post='1785511]

little daughter was with me that saturday morning "nice music daddy" she said. was quite intrigued by the big "DV-DV" with the little hole as she described the record hehe

Our Grand Daughter gets a kick out of it when I spin a few tunes on the shed system. She doesn't worry about CD's, but as soon as I bring a big black one out, she wants to be picked up to watch it going round and round.

Love the way she sits on my big swivel chair bopping along to tunes. :sorcerer:

[quote name=:)' timestamp='1330588254' post='1785511]

lLittle daughter was with me that saturday morning "nice music daddy" she said. was quite intrigued by the big "DV-DV" with the little hole as she described the record hehe

DV DV - priceless!!