Sign in to follow this  
renura

Digitalnow Quad Dvb-t Tuner Card

Quite unusual. I have a Quad with all four tuners regularly in use for testing purposes and its been good so far. Are you using tv scheduler pro to record? If you alter the tuner priority, ie put tuner 4 at position 1, and then start a single recording does it glitch or is it clean until you start other recordings on different tuners?

How do I get a user name and the serial # to register DNTV Live? There is nothing in the manual or on the site and ive tried the email address I used to buy it with and the 2 numbers marked on the box (one is lable SN but seems to short)?

How do I get a user name and the serial # to register DNTV Live? There is nothing in the manual or on the site and ive tried the email address I used to buy it with and the 2 numbers marked on the box (one is lable SN but seems to short)?

If you installed the latest version of DNTV Live! as per email sent to you, then you do not need any user name or serial numbers.

Can also get it here http://www.digitalnow.com.au/DNTV/DNTVLive!1.4.zip

Quite unusual. I have a Quad with all four tuners regularly in use for testing purposes and its been good so far. Are you using tv scheduler pro to record? If you alter the tuner priority, ie put tuner 4 at position 1, and then start a single recording does it glitch or is it clean until you start other recordings on different tuners?

Jeez, after fiddling with DNTV Live for 10 mins I remember why I never bothered with it before, It's a PITA and I really cant be bothered with it! I can get it to show live tv no probs but the scheduling stuff is pretty convoluted imo. :huh:

Edited by dJOS

I installed my Quad yesterday and noticed a similar thing (lots of breakup both in Live TV and some recordings).

I plan to try some things over the weekend (as suggested by Renura in an earlier post) to try and rule out what may be the cause.

Hopefully a different PCIe slot or something might make things better.

I know my setup is currently running through a splitter and also supplying a tein tuner PVR (as well as the quad tuner) so that won't be helping matters.

I tried disconnecting the PVR so it was only feeding the Quad, but it didn't make any difference...and admittedly the signal is still being split...so I will try going straight from the wall to the Quad card and see if this helps.

Dave

Jeez, after fiddling with DNTV Live for 10 mins I remember why I never bothered with it before, It's a PITA and I really cant be bothered with it! I can get it to show live tv no probs but the scheduling stuff is pretty convoluted imo. :huh:

Hi dJOS,

I have a quad card also (was one of the testers). So far I have no issues, but having said that I just moved my media PC to a different location so I will retest multiple recordings. I also have an original LP card that has RF passthrough so I have 5 tuners available from the one RF cable input.

I agree, DNTVLive is a bit clunky for recording so I use Sched Pro.....which is a thing of beauty I believe. I use DNTVLIve for watching back recordings and other media files. I don't use DNTVLIVE for live viewing, I have never been able to get rid of slight "stutters" which anoys the #$#^^ out of me. If I watch Live TV in "timeshift" mode, it's perfect. I just use the TV digital tuner for live viewing.

So, I'll get sched Sched pro to record 5 channels at once across seperate channels (differents MUX's ???) and report back on the quality of the recordings as a final test. I do love the quad card, it's just worked really well for me so far and is a very elegant multi tuner card.

I also spent about $700 overhauling my cabling and digital ariel a few years back (Beeblebrox did the work in Melbourne) and I have never looked back. Great signal strength/quality and no more pixellation/breakup.

Cheers......Tex.

Cheers Tex, I find that 7MC works incredibly well and has very high WAF and we run a couple of xbox360's around the house connected to the Media Center via a Gigabit network.

Our antenna is only 2 years old and im using all quad-shield RG6 for everything.

Cheers Tex, I find that 7MC works incredibly well and has very high WAF and we run a couple of xbox360's around the house connected to the Media Center via a Gigabit network.

Our antenna is only 2 years old and im using all quad-shield RG6 for everything.

ok...sounds like antenna & cabling should be fine.

LOL re WAF....my wife hates trying to schedule anything to record or watch back for that matter. My 8yo son however can drive it with his eyes closed and probably knows more about the setup of it than I do !!!

All things Considered, it is pretty funny! :lol:

Yes and no... I admire your wifes responsive decision. I could've saved myself as much trouble.

linux-ers may be interested that the Quad has been gotten to work under Ubuntu 10.4.1 32 bit. Installation was fairly straight forward under a plain vanilla Ubuntu configuration - unpack the v4l archive, make all and make install. No doubt with appropriate bits installed (gcc etc, kernel headers etc etc) it could be as easily built under another 32 bit linux variant.

linux-ers may be interested that the Quad has been gotten to work under Ubuntu 10.4.1 32 bit. Installation was fairly straight forward under a plain vanilla Ubuntu configuration - unpack the v4l archive, make all and make install. No doubt with appropriate bits installed (gcc etc, kernel headers etc etc) it could be as easily built under another 32 bit linux variant.

That sounds good I think.. All working good properly under MythTV?

And also, what about the above issue?

I don't use mythtv, but given that the linux DVB side works correctly I can't see any reason why mythtv shouldn't work.

Above issue? Do you mean the glitching problem some people have experienced? I don't have that problem under Windows so I wouldn't expect it under linux. Simultaneously dumping each tuner's output to a file via the command line produces clean recordings.

I don't use mythtv, but given that the linux DVB side works correctly I can't see any reason why mythtv shouldn't work.

Above issue? Do you mean the glitching problem some people have experienced? I don't have that problem under Windows so I wouldn't expect it under linux. Simultaneously dumping each tuner's output to a file via the command line produces clean recordings.

Cool.. Thanks for that.

Out of curiosity, people that have been experiencing glitching problems and get some of their services on UHF and some on VHF - have the glitches been predominantly on UHF or does it affect UHF and VHF equally?

Out of curiosity, people that have been experiencing glitching problems and get some of their services on UHF and some on VHF - have the glitches been predominantly on UHF or does it affect UHF and VHF equally?

I'm in Adelaide Metro an have no idea what band is used. :unsure: All my other DNTV gear works fine which Is why I think it's either a dud or a design flaw. (DigitalNow have agree to refund me seeing as we own 2 TiVo's now)

Firstly let me say that there is no doubt that you need a good quality signal for this card, the desirable signal level should be around 55dbuv.

In general I do not recommend amplifiers with any cards, let alone this one. Just remember you are feeding 4 tuners with one antenna.

I'm curious: does the card amplify & split the signal to the 4 receivers? If it is a straight split without amplification, then 55dBµV would seem a tad low.

(Any work I do involving tuner cards I aim for 70dBµV, (if this requires the use of an appropriate amplifier, so be it) to hopefully overcome interference issues generated within the computer itself, quite apart from the other non-controlled issues of consumers installing/connecting their own TV reception apparatus. )

I'm in Adelaide Metro an have no idea what band is used. :unsure:

That's the response, in the main, I would have expected to the question posed. I think I can see why the question was asked.

But, as you say, it's not an issue for you now.

I would have asked: If you are in a mainland capital city, do you have more success recording SBS (or C31 if it is digital) compared to other digital channels?

(The presumption, here, of course, that your reception is not derived from a UHF gap filler)

Edited by M'bozo

At the moment my UHF/VHF reception is a bit imbalanced due to rampant greenery (welcome to tropical QLD). Post distribution amp with splitters disconnected so its a direct drop to my PC VHF is ~86dbuv, UHF ~70dbuv. Under those signal conditions the Quad can not provide reliable UHF reception (quality plummets to 10% suggesting overload) but VHF is rock solid.

Knocking it down so that UHF is ~60dbuv brings UHF reception back to normalcy with the Quad. At 48dbuv it is still quite happy. If its fed with the recommended signal levels it should provide reliable operation.

I have a Compro U80 stick* that behaves in a similar fashion. It gives up at around 45dbuv, but the Quad is still working at that level. Where the Quad calls its quits is not known, I can't go much below these levels because I don't have enough attenuators.

The Quad uses Fitipower FC0012 tuners while the Compro uses Quantek QT1010. Both tuners are under the control of the realtek demods in terms of signal levels / agc so its possible that the realtek demods aren't controlling the signal levels in a sensible fashion.

If the there was software that would let me peer inside and see what the RTL chips thought of the signal at various levels rather than simply relying on go / no go more accurate reception ranges could be provided.

Signal levels are as reported by my hand held meter.

*the Quad uses RTL2832, the U80 RTL2831

Edited by DrP