alanh

Canberra Dab+ Trial

76 posts in this topic

The DAB+ trial for Canberra and Darwin is supposed to end today.

There was a expectation that a committee would recommend that these trials be converted to permanent broadcasts.

I don't know if I can't find it thanks to the stupid-broken ACMA site, or whether the page has simply changed in the meantime, but a few days ago this page on the ACMA site was saying:

DAB+ trials in Canberra and Darwin
The ACMA has authorised trials of DAB+ in two regional licence areas where sufficient spectrum was available - Canberra and Darwin. Commercial Radio Australia is conducting the trials. The Canberra trial commenced on 19 July 2010. In February 2011, the ACMA approved an increase in power for the Canberra trial from 1 kW to 3kW. The Darwin trial commenced on 13 August 2010. Both trials have been extended until 30 June 2016. The Digital Radio Report recommends that the Government should consider permanent services be licensed in Canberra and Darwin as a priority.

(emphasis mine)

[Google cache link]

(edit: Interestingly, also reported in the Smage today as being a statement made today, and the page now matches the above quote. Wonder if ACMA got their botty slapped for putting it on their page last week?)

Edited by Malich

It's finally going permanent, with a second multiplexer.  So I presume we'll end up with the same situation as other cities...  Lots of stations but all at quite low bit-rates - so ok for background or at quiet levels.  Great for choice, but not for sound quality.

The people of the Northern Territory outside of Darwin, Alice Springs and a few tiny towns have lost all radio signals along with Radio Australia for the ABC to fund your second DAB+ transmitter in Canberra with an increase in power to the existing transmitter. Joining Canberra is Darwin, Hobart and the Gold Coast.

Alanh

2 hours ago, alanh said:

The people of the Northern Territory outside of Darwin, Alice Springs and a few tiny towns have lost all radio signals along with Radio Australia for the ABC to fund your second DAB+ transmitter in Canberra with an increase in power to the existing transmitter. Joining Canberra is Darwin, Hobart and the Gold Coast.

Alanh

Really? They shut down *all* radio signals in Northern Australia to fund Canberra's second multiplexer?  I did not realise it was that expensive to run ;-)

The $1.9 million each year will be used this year to build 4 high powered DAB+ transmitters. The antennas will be mounted on existing towers. The power to be used will be less than half used by mainland Captial cities. The power of the Short Wave transmitters was considerably higher, hence a much larger electricity and maintenance bills.

Nick Xenophon has introduced an amendment to the ABC Act to force the ABC to restart short wave broadcasting.

Alanh

Well you may want to start a thread about SW then... This concerns the Canberra roll-out... I'm sorry that the national capital finally moving on from a seven year trial has caused such distress.

Back on topic... Hopefully we'll get higher bitrates...

Does anyone know when this will be happening

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Audiofile said:

Well you may want to start a thread about SW then

As per usual there is

On ‎31‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:05 AM, Audiofile said:

They shut down *all* radio signals in Northern Australia

Now, now. I think we are getting a little excited ;)

The ABC claims that VAST satellite, Skymuster satellite internet and mobile phones are an adequate replacement. VAST and Skymuster satellite systems require a satellite dish pointed accurately at the respective satellites. The reality is So if you are in a moving vehicle or a boat outside of Darwin, Alice Springs, , Katherine, Tennant Creek, Nhulunbuy, and within 10 tiny villages the phone does not work and neither does the radio.

Go to https://www.telstra.com.au/coverage-networks/our-coverage The low powered FM transmitter coverage is similar to the mobile phone coverage

Satellite phones cannot download and calls cost around $3 per minute.

So not only no live programming but no emergency warnings either.

Alanh

Well sounds like a good candidate for a separate discussion. I don't see how this relates to Canberra digital radio...

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

This was the ABC's excuse for stopping HF broadcasting in the NT and Radio Australia to fund new separate DAB+ transmitters for Canberra, Darwin, which are trial sites and new sites of Hobart and Gold Coast.

If the amendment of the ABC act is successful in May to provide HF radio,  how will the ABC fund the above DAB+ transmitters?

Alanh

I'm not familiar with what bit rate would be required for the DAB+ services to sound as good as FM services but there may be a glimmer of light.. it was announced back in December that the ABC was going to improve the bitrates of their services.
ABC Radio is also investigating transmission improvements to address reception gaps in the existing five DAB+ markets. It aims to ensure a resilient DAB+ service in every capital city, with enhanced bitrates and infill where necessary.
http://about.abc.net.au/press-releases/shortwave-radio/

Thank heavens.... Some recognition... We should all thank them for this.

This only applies in Canberra which only has one low powered DAB+ transmitter. As for all the other trnasmitters, an increase is not possible because the data carrying capacity already fills the whole transmission channel. There is only 8 transmission channels avaliable particularly in metro areas. If an additional channel is used, it will mean that a high power transmitter for an adjacent regional area will miss out.

The ABC subcontracts transmitters and their management knows virtually nothing about transmission as demonstrated by their media relaease on HF broadcasting.

Alanh

Well at least they were honest about cost saving being a driver behind DAB. On the other hand it will be good to see an improvement.... I can't find any info on time frames though...

Audiofile,

The ABC did not volunteer this information, it was forced out of the Managing Director at a Senate Estimates Committee hearing by a very active NT Senator.

Alanh

Well it didn't take a genius to work out that DAB is a cost saver for broadcasters by means of channel sharing. The short wave stuff is off topic and better suited to the thread for that.

Now I wonder when this new multiplexer and power increase is coming through