Sign in to follow this  
wahroonga farm

Digital Tv/ Vast Rip-offs

Marketed as an essential accessory for early adopting Aurora subs moving to VAST.

A simple $3.00, 2 way 'all ports DC pass satellite splitter' for ... wait for it ... $78.00!

That label must be bl**dy expensive.

I was looking to purchase a VAST decoder. Needless to say I won't be shopping there!

I have advised them of my displeasure and am in the process of advising the digital roll-out mob.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/9347/clipboard01oz.jpg

Hopefully they'll come to their senses ...

I guess there will be a few out there looking to make a quick buck.

So beware, it's a jungle out there.

History repeats?

Similar occurrences here when aggregation occurred.

Supply/demand issues. It happened on 30 April 1994, suddenly people lost there favourite programmes, don't think I had a day off for months upgrading people to UHF. There was even a UHF antenna shortage for a little while.

One that sticks in my mind was $600 for an bog standard antenna install (in 1994 dollars) when the going rate was around $150.

There were local experts (anyone who could twist 2 wires together) coming out of the woodwork & fly-by-nighters from the mainland making a dollar. Still come across some of those installs now, and occasionally, from the fingerprints, can even suggest who may have done the original work.

Marketed as an essential accessory for early adopting Aurora subs moving to VAST.

A simple $3.00, 2 way 'all ports DC pass satellite splitter' for ... wait for it ... $78.00!

I was looking to purchase a VAST decoder. Needless to say I won't be shopping there!

I have advised them of my displeasure and am in the process of advising the digital roll-out mob.

I dunno how they sleep at night...

That's the sort of info A Current Affair likes to get hold of!

A more realistic price (under $10) but prolly could still be found cheaper.

Hills 2 way splitter

History repeats?

Supply/demand issues. It happened on 30 April 1994, suddenly people lost there favourite programmes, don't think I had a day off for months upgrading people to UHF. There was even a UHF antenna shortage for a little while.

Where was this at?

I can only hope on reading this add that it includes two cables as listed in the dot points .

It is after all listed as a Kit .

So this being the case ,depending on the length of cables and assuming them to be pre terminated in F connectors ,it may be plausable at $78 bucks .(wall plates included ?)

If I am right then these guys need to be more explicit in their add description

Hi bellotv,

Yes it is a 'kit'.

Confirmed that it includes two F - connector cables ... and that the picture/ info will be updated.

Edit: And that the source and price will be reviewed.

So my rant is over. :)

Edited by wahroonga farm

I can only hope on reading this add that it includes two cables as listed in the dot points .

It is after all listed as a Kit .

So this being the case ,depending on the length of cables and assuming them to be pre terminated in F connectors ,it may be plausable at $78 bucks .(wall plates included ?)

If I am right then these guys need to be more explicit in their add description

I'm picking the cables are at most 1-2 mtrs long....

$78 including two flyleads.... They have the splitter by itself for $61.

I can only guess that the sticker they put on it costs 50 bucks

I don't begrudge people in business making a buck because if you don't you won't be in business long.. but at the same time there's making a buck and there's taking the piss...

I don't begrudge people in business making a buck because if you don't you won't be in business long.. but at the same time there's making a buck and there's taking the piss...

From another forum elsewhere in Australia:

The secret in business is to charge whatever the market will bare.

If you want to prostitute yourself, thats your problem.