Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadgarra

Copy Protection Of Mystar Hd Output

119 posts in this topic

With Mystar SD, you could record a live broadcast of a standard non-movie channel on a separate HDD or DVD recorder, via the Mystar composite output.

However, if you tried to record the playback of a program already recorded on Mystar, this would fail with the message "Record blocking signals detected" on my LG HDD recorder.

Now, having installed Mystar HD, I find that these record blocking signals (Macrovision?) are output even when watching a live program, making it impossible to record anything on another HDD or DVD recorder. This is true for all output formats of the Mystar HD.

At least there is some consistency now. It any case the usual device will strip it out. I'm assuming you have set your mystar HD to output in a format that is compatible with the recorder?

At least there is some consistency now. It any case the usual device will strip it out. I'm assuming you have set your mystar HD to output in a format that is compatible with the recorder?

Yes, tried all output resolutions which include 576i (SD).

What do you mean by "the usual device". I thought these were no longer readily available

There are a few variations of copy protection and I don't know which one the MyStar HD outputs. That unit may well do the job.

There are a few variations of copy protection and I don't know which one the MyStar HD outputs.

Can anyone else help on this?

There are a few variations of copy protection and I don't know which one the MyStar HD outputs. That unit may well do the job.

So advocating illegal activities is the norm for this forum ? I was of the assumption that breaking or circumventing encryption methods was illegal in Australia ? And yeah, I am a 100% legitimate good guy. Theft is theft, no matter what the medium.

So advocating illegal activities is the norm for this forum ? I was of the assumption that breaking or circumventing encryption methods was illegal in Australia ? And yeah, I am a 100% legitimate good guy. Theft is theft, no matter what the medium.

copyright laws in this country allow for the recording of tv broadcasts for fair personal use! it is not illegal for you to record any tv program as long as its for fair use.

copyright laws in this country allow for the recording of tv broadcasts for fair personal use! it is not illegal for you to record any tv program as long as its for fair use.

I was of the opinion it wasn't for fair use, but for private playback at a later date. And doesn't that only apply to free to air and radio programes ? I didn't think it applied to privately owned and broadcast programes like the content supplied by austar. (Hey, I am asking honestly now. If I'm wrong i'll eat my own words) I am sure it states that there are copyright implications on all programes veiwed through fox/austar etc. Teach me you may.

Edited by sqibby

I was of the opinion it wasn't for fair use, but for private playback at a later date. And doesn't that only apply to free to air and radio programes ? I didn't think it applied to privately owned and broadcast programes like the content supplied by austar. (Hey, I am asking honestly now. If I'm wrong i'll eat my own words) I am sure it states that there are copyright implications on all programes veiwed through fox/austar etc. Teach me you may.

There are various reasons why it could be perfectly legitimate to record live Austar programs on a separate recorder. With Mystar SD I had so many problems with failed recordings for all sorts of ridiculous reasons like "power failure", that I made a habit of recording shows that I really wanted to see on a second HDD recorder. Of course it meant that I had to make sure that the Mystar box was tuned to the correct channel, but otherwise this was perfectly workable.

Now with Mystar HD that opportunity has been denied me for no good reason.

Additionally, other PVRs (e.g. TiVo) allow unrestricted transfer of any FTA recorded material to a PC. Surely this is the way of the future.

Edited by gadgarra

Touch wood, so far the SD and HD FTA reception on MyStarHD is pretty good, so to solve this issue immediatley I'm going to move my HDD-DVD-R and HDSTB from my lounge room to my master bedroom (where a standard Austar Digital resides).

This way I can still burn-to-DVD my grandfathers EPL team games, so he can watch them without giving his pension money to Austar.

When someone discovers a fix to the copy protection, I'll see if my "boss" will let me upgarde to a Blu-Ray burner for the lounge....wish me luck :D

Yes - I too will be curious to see how things go with recording Mystar elsewhere. I like to keep the my teams football games on DVD and that's about it. No copying or distribution, just archival for personal use.

It is this issue that is currently stopping me from upgrading.

For people that are curious...

Macrovision

CGMS-A

VEIL

Out of curiosity if I ever see a MyStar HD in real life and have the opportunity I'll hook up a 'scope and see what is coming out in the way of Macrovision and CGMS-A.

Edited by DrP

For people that are curious...

Macrovision

CGMS-A

VEIL

Out of curiosity if I ever see a MyStar HD in real life and have the opportunity I'll hook up a 'scope and see what is coming out in the way of Macrovision and CGMS-A.

The suggestion has been made that Austar have implemented a new form of Macrovision, given that the Cypress CCR9 video stabilizer worked on Mystar SD but does not work on the HD receiver.

The suggestion has been made that Austar have implemented a new form of Macrovision, given that the Cypress CCR9 video stabilizer worked on Mystar SD but does not work on the HD receiver.

I have been happlily recording Austar live and from recordings on my mystar hd on to my computer using the s video output and into the s video on my hauppage tv capture card. Some programmes will block recorded content but the wintv programme that comes with the card accepts the signal ok.

Hauppage hardware based MPEG cards (PVR1xx, 2xx and 3xx) are known to ignore macrovision completely.