Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alanh

Abc Hd: What Programs Have Been Hd Originals

53 posts in this topic

Firstly I said they are not promoting their HD which is admitted to above. No recognition.

Because we have also established in this thread how that while the website does not, both promos on air for the shows and the EPG mention native HD programming. I've also noticed some printed guides mention HD. There's more than one way to eat a pie.

They may transmit the odd program on HD, but they are definately not transmitting 3 hours a night every night of HD originals. Prove that!

HD is far from the ABC's priority in their limited budget. No one claims the ABC gets 3 hours a night of native HD. For someone who thinks the ABC could drive MPEG-4 take up by moving their HD channel to MPEG-4, you sure attack it a lot.

Go for moe,

The 1040 hours per year is being imposed on commercial stations.

I am not suggesting that a conversion to MPEG-4 will increase the number of HD originals broadcast.

I am suggesting that there is so little real HD on ABCHD it could convert to HD MPEG-4.

For those who cannot receive it will not miss much because it is simulcast on ABC1 anyway. Their HD TV can do the upconversion as it does now whenever an SD program is viewed such as 72, Go! and the SD versions of the main programs.

The above course will reduce the pressure on the other ABC TV program data rates. At the same time the on air existence of HD MPEG-4 signals will force the importers to not bring in old models of receivers because ABCHD is not displayed.

AlanH

Go for moe,

The 1040 hours per year is being imposed on commercial stations.

I am not suggesting that a conversion to MPEG-4 will increase the number of HD originals broadcast.

I am suggesting that there is so little real HD on ABCHD it could convert to HD MPEG-4.

For those who cannot receive it will not miss much because it is simulcast on ABC1 anyway. Their HD TV can do the upconversion as it does now whenever an SD program is viewed such as 72, Go! and the SD versions of the main programs.

The above course will reduce the pressure on the other ABC TV program data rates. At the same time the on air existence of HD MPEG-4 signals will force the importers to not bring in old models of receivers because ABCHD is not displayed.

Read this link to see why I am pushing this barrow! European Broadcasting Union

AlanH

Firstly I said they are not promoting their HD which is admitted to above. No recognition.

Except for the on air promos. Oh, and their mention of HD in their web guide (it does happen sometimes).

They may transmit the odd program on HD, but they are definately not transmitting 3 hours a night every night of HD originals. Prove that!

Prove that someone has ever said ABC does.

Don't you get it alanh? ABC is not going to convert any of its channels to MPEG-4 AVC any time soon. Did you not read the document you linked to? Did you not read the section I quoted from it? Of course not. That would be silly. Never read, or at least admit to reading, a section of a document that does not support your position.

Edited by DrP

DrP,

You are not the ABC so why are you trying to defend them?

They should move with the times. Their management is incapable of making any technical decisions so they outsource anything technical. For example the playout centre to WIN and they have always had Broadcast Australia for transmitters.

They were only forced into digital radio by the commercials and the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy.

AlanH

I can assure you, I am no ABC supporter. I am, however, a person that recognises reality when faced with it. I don't think the same can be said of you.

DrP,

If you are not an ABC supporter and there is enough posts here to say that the ABC is not currently into HD programs help change the ABC's mind on HD MPEG-4. ABC like other broadcasters only respond to numbers of complaints.

This approach is more likely to produce a result than saying woe is me, it will never happen.

AlanH

DrP,

If you are not an ABC supporter and there is enough posts here to say that the ABC is not currently into HD programs help change the ABC's mind on HD MPEG-4. ABC like other broadcasters only respond to numbers of complaints.

This approach is more likely to produce a result than saying woe is me, it will never happen.

AlanH

Get over yourself. Accept Reality.

There are plenty more HD programs on ABC than you think.

DrP,

AlanH

You just don't get it do you.

On the subject of pressuring ABC into MPEG-4 AVC, you've made the observation that ABC management is clueless and farms out responsibility where ever possible. What on earth makes you think that ABC management is going to take any notice at all of a letter campaign (or worse, an email campaign) from the 'great unwashed masses'?

I will say this though. If you actually do annoy ABC with your suggestions it may well be sensible to have your submission peer reviewed before making it as if it is of the same quality as submissions you have made to other government departments it will either be given a cursory glance and then thrown in the bin or possibly tacked up in the lunchroom for public ridicule.

Edited by DrP

Here are some programs that will be in HD on ABC:

29th November

6:40am: Zigby

30th November

8:15am: Dorotyh the dinosaur

8:35am: Sesame Street

8:00pm: Elders with andrew denton: Clive James

9:35pm: Make 'Em Laugh: The Funny Business Of America: Would You Hit A Guy With Glasses/ Nerds, Jerks And Oddballs

1st December

2nd December

9:35pm: John Safran's Race Relations

3rd December

9:35pm: Rudely Interrupted

6th December

6:40am: Zigby

7th December

8:30am: Sesame Street

8:00pm: Elders With Andrew Denton: Muhammad Yunus

9:35pm: Make 'Em Laugh: The Funny Business Of America: Honey, I'm Home! / Breadwinners And Homemakers

11:10pm: Playing in the shadows

8th December

9th December

10th December

11th December

But not, apparently, Dr. Who.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2009/11/the-sd...rs-of-mars.html

Why does the ABC have a HD channel when it won't broadcast a HD version of a programme, when one is available?

Dr. Who is a high profile programme, and deserves HD telecast.

Craig.

Quote:

The (SD) Waters of Mars

By David Knox on November 27, 2009 Filed Under Programming Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars may be coming to ABC in a little over a week, but it will be coming in SD rather than HD.

ABC has opted not to buy a high definition copy of the special from the BBC, citing cost as part of its decision.

It will be upscaled on ABC HD but not to true high definition quality.

In a statement issued to TV Tonight, ABC’s Director Television Kim Dalton said, “Over the past few years ABC TV’s focus, resources and budget have been on our multi channel strategy.

“The development of our SD channels ABC2 and ABC3, along with iView have been our primary concern.

“However in 2010 we will be developing our HD strategy with the intention of moving towards a more distinctive HD offering.”

The special airs 7:30pm Sunday December 6th on ABC1…. and ABC HD….

ABC has opted not to buy a high definition copy of the special from the BBC, citing cost as part of its decision.

(that's a quote from Kim Dalton)

I have strong doubts that the BBC would charge the ABC more if they asked "can you send us an HD tape instead of an SD tape next time?" ... but I have no way to prove this. I don't see it is any different to asking for an NTSC copy, or a 4:3 compatible version.

CK.