nightbreed

The Official Emotiva Owners Thread

1,238 posts in this topic

It looks like many of us now have our Emotiva gear. This thread is the place to chat all about your views, findings and reviews on your new equipment.

Hi there. Had a look in the reviews section and still couldn't find any threads. Can anyone point me? Thanks.

Just ordered a UPS-1 PreAmp and UPA-2 to run off my Pioneer AVR(HT Bypass) for hopefully more enjoyable music listening.

Emotiva now accepts PAYPAL. Makes it a lot easier.

Cathy mentioned she is working on a new promo for Australians only to keep prices attractive due to

our import fees.

Edited by rocky500

Just ordered a UPS-1 PreAmp and UPA-2 to run off my Pioneer AVR(HT Bypass) for hopefully more enjoyable music listening.

Cathy mentioned she is working on a new promo for Australians only to keep prices attractive due to

our import fees.

Hi Rocky , would be very interested in having a listen to the power amp at some point.

Gordon

Mods: can you please movie this thread to "reviews" section?

Jason you need to PM the mods with the request mate, it is unlikely they will see your post otherwise.....

our import fees.

Congratulations on the purchase. Hope it doesn't take too long to get here.

I'm very interested to hear your thoughts regarding the performance of the UPS-1 Pre-amp. I'm very interested in how the subwoofer integration works, both standalone as well as in HT-bypass mode.

Have fun.

Cheers.

our import fees.

Not having to pay duty on these are you rocky?

What was the freight cost?

Cathy managed to find me some 'B Stock'

Will not have to pay any duty/taxes.

I had the XPA-5 for a week and so, really looking forward to trying these other Emotiva products.

our import fees.

Hi rocky, pretty interested to hear your impression of the USP-1 after using that Pio AVR.

Any chance you could try it on your mates Woodfoxes with the ribbon tweeters, as this is what I am looking to do with my setup as well? A few people on the Emo forum described the USP as perhaps being a tad bright, which is definately something i dont want.

The only down side for me is not being able to run my speakers full range and use the HT bypass connections at the same time, (HT Bypass uses the LP/HP connections and the LP x-over can only go down to 50Hz) otherwise I probably would have already purchased one to try out.

TB

The only down side for me is not being able to run my speakers full range and use the HT bypass connections at the same time, (HT Bypass uses the LP/HP connections and the LP x-over can only go down to 50Hz) otherwise I probably would have already purchased one to try out.

TB

Without knowing your speakers I would suggest that this most probablly a good thing and presuming the x-over in the Emotiva is well excecuted then will probablly improve performance of your speakers by removing the low-low bass octaves. Particularly so if you are not use a very high powered amplifier.

If you want to try this out then just get yourself (or borrow) a cheap active crossover (such as the behringer 2310) and experiment. I bought a crossover to experiment with and was very suprised about how much of an improvement was evident in my speakers by just crossing over at 50Hz. I have since tried the same thing on a freinds Dali Ikon 7 speakers and found the same thing. Actually he was so impressewd that he wanted to buy the behringer off me but i have already agreed to take it to tthe upcoming GTG so that is that. Worth thinking about anyway mate.

Cheers,

Drew

Without knowing your speakers I would suggest that this most probablly a good thing and presuming the x-over in the Emotiva is well excecuted then will probablly improve performance of your speakers by removing the low-low bass octaves. Particularly so if you are not use a very high powered amplifier.

If you want to try this out then just get yourself (or borrow) a cheap active crossover (such as the behringer 2310) and experiment. I bought a crossover to experiment with and was very suprised about how much of an improvement was evident in my speakers by just crossing over at 50Hz. I have since tried the same thing on a freinds Dali Ikon 7 speakers and found the same thing. Actually he was so impressewd that he wanted to buy the behringer off me but i have already agreed to take it to tthe upcoming GTG so that is that. Worth thinking about anyway mate.

Cheers,

Drew

Thanks for the comments Drew.

On the HT side of things it's not an issue as both the High and Low inputs are passed straight through the USP-1 essentially on a piece of wire. The issue is for 2 channel sources (such as CDP) connected directly to the USP, it is effectively a 2.1 output crossed at 50Hz. There is a full range output, but this doesnt work with the HT bypass unfortunalety.

I have tried using the sub to supplement the bass of my speakers previously. Admittedly it was crossed at 100Hz due to the AVR only having one x-over setting and 100Hz is as low as my surround speakers go. I just always felt that the speakers sounded better set to LARGE/ full range rather than using the sub for the low stuff under 100Hz. Maybe using 50Hz wont be so bad as there is not as much down there for general 2 channel music.

fyi, my speakers are 3 way floor standers from Adelaide Speakers (Summoner 1093 in a Transmission line design) and they really do produce a nice deep bass. They are rated at 24Hz - 40kHz with a suggested x-over around 30-40 Hz (so 50 may not be too bad...) They are runnnig off a Pio LX60 AVR feeding a Rotel RMB-1075 power amp.

cheers

TB

edit: I'd also prefer the HT bypass to be active when the USP-1 was powered off and the ability to dim the display as apparently it is quite bright, however these features are probably going to be in the rumored higher end XSP-1, although god knows when we will see that!

Edited by tb123

Thanks for the comments Drew.

On the HT side of things it's not an issue as both the High and Low inputs are passed straight through the USP-1 essentially on a piece of wire. The issue is for 2 channel sources (such as CDP) connected directly to the USP, it is effectively a 2.1 output crossed at 50Hz. There is a full range output, but this doesnt work with the HT bypass unfortunalety.

I have tried using the sub to supplement the bass of my speakers previously. Admittedly it was crossed at 100Hz due to the AVR only having one x-over setting and 100Hz is as low as my surround speakers go. I just always felt that the speakers sounded better set to LARGE/ full range rather than using the sub for the low stuff under 100Hz. Maybe using 50Hz wont be so bad as there is not as much down there for general 2 channel music.

fyi, my speakers are 3 way floor standers from Adelaide Speakers (Summoner 1093 in a Transmission line design) and they really do produce a nice deep bass. They are rated at 24Hz - 40kHz with a suggested x-over around 30-40 Hz (so 50 may not be too bad...) They are runnnig off a Pio LX60 AVR feeding a Rotel RMB-1075 power amp.

cheers

TB

edit: I'd also prefer the HT bypass to be active when the USP-1 was powered off and the ability to dim the display as apparently it is quite bright, however these features are probably going to be in the rumored higher end XSP-1, although god knows when we will see that!

Fair enough mate, just throwing it out there. Have you considered the Parasound 2100. It has both High Pass and full range outputs that are both HT bypass equiped and has a sub pass through as well.

I have heard a lot of good stuff about both Edward and his speakers, regret not having ventured down to see him whilst living in Adelaide actually. Best of luck with it.

Drew

Cathy managed to find me some 'B Stock'

Will not have to pay any duty/taxes.

I had the XPA-5 for a week and so, really looking forward to trying these other Emotiva products.

hey rocky500, have you received the USP-1 yet???

Yes they both came on Friday. Have not had a real chance to listen to them. Been busing with work.

So far I real impressed with the UPA-2. (AMP) Like I was with the XPA-5.

Hooked up in HT/Bypass and to the Revolver Bookshelf speakers and SVS Sub.

I using a 15+ Year old Sony 5CD Multi Player hooked up to the PreAmp. Not the best source, but all I have at the moment.

At low levels there is just more detail.

Yes they both came on Friday. Have not had a real chance to listen to them. Been busing with work.

I using a 15+ Year old Sony 5CD Multi Player hooked up to the PreAmp. Not the best source, but all I have at the moment.

Good to hear the UPA-2/USP-1 have arrived. Early days with the testing, but it would be good if you could run another pre-amp to test the UPA-2/Revolver speakers to see whether there is improvement in details from the Pre or the Amp. Also, interested to hear how seamless the SVS integrates with the Revolvers through the USP-1.

Have fun playing with your new toys.

Cheers.

Good News!

I look forward to hearing more of your impressions of the USP-1 after some extended listening, especially if you think it is at all tending toward being "bright" as some of the guys in the Emo Lounge have suggested.

Also very very interested to hear if you hook it up to your mates Woodfoxes with the ribbons.

At the price ($399USD) I'm very tempted (as well as the DAC they are working on), but if it's at all bright, dont think it woud be a great match for me. It's just to damn hard to audition.

Would be good if you could compare the sound to something available locally to give us some idea of what to expect.

cheers

TB

Just hooked up a NOS dac (from ebay china) to the Sony and all I can say is .. wow my Revolver speakers have never sounded this good.

Listening to The best of Bob Marley and the wailers.

The sound is just fantastic. Music is so open and draws you in.

Will try the Woodfox speakers soon.

I dont have many original CDs anymore.

This CD is my brothers he left here a while ago. Would not have put this on otherwise.

Some pics

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/r...01/P1020575.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/r...01/P1020590.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/r...01/P1020650.jpg

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/r...01/P1020672.jpg

Just plugged in the Woodfox speakers.

So far they don't seem bright and appear to have more detail and sound better with the Emotiva gear.

They sound a lot better at lower volumes than the Pioneer did. More dynamics, more impact. (Have some rellies around so can't turn it up much)

So far I am playing a lot of MP3's and flacs off the Hard Drive through the pioneer and Emotiva AMP and its sounds better than it did with just the Pioneer.

Edited by rocky500