KIDS & FAMILY

Boomerang

KidsCo

SPECIAL INTEREST

Antenna

Raitalia

TCM AT LAST IN WIDESCREEN WELL HERE IS THE UPDATE LIST

Hooray,

Finally after all this time TCM goes Widescreen.

I notice that it's now Stereo as well.

Picture quality on some of their newer stuff seems to have improved as well.

Hi Doug

So since TCM content are all mostly 4:3 how are they going to make it 16:9!!

cheers laurie

Hi there Laurie.

Certainly all of their pre mid fifties stuff will still be 4:3 and I pray they don't try to blow the image up or stop showing them.

Watching it last night the older 4:3 movies, thankfully, were run correctly with the black bars on both sides of the TV screen.

The best part of this upgrade will be seeing all of their many fabulous post 50s Cinemascope and later PanaVision movies finally as they were meant to be seen and heard. ( Anamorphic and Stereo )

The picture quality of these widescreen titles look terrific in their promos. ( nice new prints )

Some of their older promos are still 4:3 but the new wide screen ones look great.

Trouble is I only have it for two weeks while it's free. :-(

Wouldn't they just put black bars down either side like every other 16:9 channel does when showing 4:3 stuff?

I've seen some funny aspect ratios on Fox Classics & TCM one Western it was like 21:9 another the TCM logo was below the top 2/3 of the picture!!

cheers laurie

Isn't the discovery health channel still 4.3? I know that discovery science is widescreen. The disc health channel isnot included in the "updated" list. Btw why the he'll isn't CNN widescreen? This is supposed to be a flagship news channel. Does anyone have an answer to this.

Edited by timy

Btw why the he'll isn't CNN widescreen? This is supposed to be a flagship news channel. Does anyone have an answer to this.

I think America generally has a policy of only producing in widescreen if it's in HD

(but then most of the other US based news reports/programs from other networks seem to be widescreen, so yes, why not CNN...)

Does the CNN we get come from the US though? It's 'CNN international' so it may not come the States

You are right, its not from the US - its from Singapore

The version of CNN in the U.S. is in HD and widescreen.

The version here is the Asian version based in Singapore and Hong Kong.

Whenever they simulcast anything from the U.S. CNN (such as last Friday's space shuttle launch), you probably noticed that there were additional black bars at the top and bottom of the screen because they were trying to fit a widescreen broadcast into a 4:3 space.

The version of CNN in the U.S. is in HD and widescreen.

The version here is the Asian version based in Singapore and Hong Kong.

Whenever they simulcast anything from the U.S. CNN (such as last Friday's space shuttle launch), you probably noticed that there were additional black bars at the top and bottom of the screen because they were trying to fit a widescreen broadcast into a 4:3 space.

They are so backward with Digital Broadcasting in Hong Kong & Singapore - still broadcasting Horseracing in last century 4:3

Who actually needs horse racing of all 'sports' in 16:9 anyway? As long as you know the winner/second/3rd place then that's all that matters.

Who actually needs horse racing of all 'sports' in 16:9 anyway? As long as you know the winner/second/3rd place then that's all that matters.

Exactly. Better still you can just listen on the car radio while you're driving to the pokies. B)

Not much happening in the way of new widescreen chanels been very quiet lately anyone know when the remaning few channels will go widescreen i would have though boomerang and the other kids channel would have been widescreen buy now

They ahow few (if any) 16:9 programmes.. why watch just the same stuff but with black bars down the side of the screen?

Eurosportnews

NEWS & DOCOS

CNN International

Bloomberg

KIDS & FAMILY

Boomerang

KidsCo

SPECIAL INTEREST

Antenna

Raitalia