Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hercules

Projector Screen Recommendation

37 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

There are a lot of threads around about which projector to buy but I am trawling many Aussie forums but not many people are talking about which screens to buy. My budget should be around $1000 and I would like to be future proofed. What I have seen so far is:

In budget!

100" 16:9 Majestic Fixed Screen Evolution 3D fabric $989

http://projectorscreens.com.au/shop/...d&productId=14

Above budget:

LP Morgan Galleria Novares - High Resolution Capacity 100" $1979

http://www.justprojectors.com.au/scr...ia_novares.htm

So comments on those screens or any other suggestions about what to buy these days? Anything coming on the horizon that I should wait out for?

Hi

Whilst these two are a bit dearer than your $1000 I thought I would give you my thoughts.

I have just changed from a screen technics 100 inch 16:9 Matrix white to a 116 inch 2.37 oztheatre screen

Thoughts Build quality of the frame and the way you fit the fabric to the frame Screen technics is superior. - easier to do. less room fro error EG no cutting of fabric required

Mounting of screen Screen technics superior - Easier to mount More stable

Picture quality OZtheatre is superior Picture on both is fantastic and I didnt think it could get better than the Screen Technics --- BUt it does!

Bottom line ozthreatre screen is fiddly and more difficult to errect BUT the picture is worth it

ONLY concern: I sold the screen technics Second hand after pulling it apart - Given you have to cut the fabric on the oztheatre screen I cant see how if I ever change again I could sell this one

PS BUdDget for both about $1400

Warren

Also have to say Richard is probably the best person I have had the luck to deal with

Hi guys,

I would like to be future proofed.

From my recent readings future proof would mean a scope screen 2.37:1. You can still obviously watch 16:9 material on it but it would be a bit smaller.

From my recent readings future proof would mean a scope screen 2.37:1. You can still obviously watch 16:9 material on it but it would be a bit smaller.

Your image height will be the same (if zooming or using a lens) but your image width will change from 21.33 X 9 back to 16 X 9.

16:9 is 33% narrower than scope format. On a scope screen, at each side you will have 16.5% of unused screen when watching HDTV or 16:9 movies.

Masking curtains are often used to mask the 16:9 image.

Thoughts Build quality of the frame and the way you fit the fabric to the frame Screen technics is superior. - easier to do. less room fro error EG no cutting of fabric required

Mounting of screen Screen technics superior - Easier to mount More stable

Picture quality OZtheatre is superior Picture on both is fantastic and I didnt think it could get better than the Screen Technics --- BUt it does!

Bottom line ozthreatre screen is fiddly and more difficult to errect BUT the picture is worth it

ONLY concern: I sold the screen technics Second hand after pulling it apart - Given you have to cut the fabric on the oztheatre screen I cant see how if I ever change again I could sell this one

After assembling one together, I have to agree with you that oztheatre screen is not well engineered at all. You have to be a very good handyman, a lot of patience and extremely carefull to assemble one together without damaging the screen. Unlike other screen I've seen, the way the screen fabric is stretched over the frame does not compensate for the expansion/contraction of the materials due to the changes in temperature at all. This will cause wrinkles/ripples over time. Other screen uses tension springs to "stretch" the screen fabric - so the fabric always remains "stretched".

IMHO, it is an expensive DIY product.

Can't comment on the PQ as it is my first screen.

How long have you had your screen for? I wonder how much the screen fabric does contract/expand?

Maybe, Richard (or other owners) can comment on this. Richard????

OP - Are you interested in a fully assembled 100" 16x9 Majestic with Evo 3D (~2mth old)? Are you in Adelaide?

After assembling one together, I have to agree with you that oztheatre screen is not well engineered at all. You have to be a very good handyman, a lot of patience and extremely carefull to assemble one together without damaging the screen.

i know its not great for shipping but do any Australian companies ship fixed screens already assembled?

OP - Are you interested in a fully assembled 100" 16x9 Majestic with Evo 3D (~2mth old)? Are you in Adelaide?

I am not in Adelaide unfortunately (Brissie) :-(

The lack of tension with the oztheatre screen may be an issue. I will have to hunt around for some more reviews on it. Having said that it is 1/2 the price of the LP Morgan screen and I have heard others say it produces a better picture.

Also I currently have a PT-AE500 projector and I don't plan to upgrade at the moment. It does not have the ability to vertically stretch. Does anybody use a HTPC to do the stretching and if so how?

After assembling one together, I have to agree with you that oztheatre screen is not well engineered at all. You have to be a very good handyman, a lot of patience and extremely carefull to assemble one together without damaging the screen. Unlike other screen I've seen, the way the screen fabric is stretched over the frame does not compensate for the expansion/contraction of the materials due to the changes in temperature at all. This will cause wrinkles/ripples over time.

In 5 years, we have NEVER had anyone ever mention screen sag, not once. This is because it cannot sag and will not sag. Hence why we have a 4 year warranty on the fabric and a 10 year warranty on the frame and assembly hardware. Others only offer 12 months...... We have also had maybe a handful of people with problems during assembly, bare in mind that's a small amount of people. Heck I've even had the Wives of customers put these together with no issues...

Take a look at any other fixed screen out there, they all use similar fabric attachment methods (LP morgan and screen research are two that come to mind) apart from screen technics who use snap rods and stewart who use snap studs.

Other screen uses tension springs to "stretch" the screen fabric - so the fabric always remains "stretched".

Tensioning springs? You mean some fixed screens that are made in china use tensioning springs..

How long have you had your screen for? I wonder how much the screen fabric does contract/expand?

Our screen grip attachment clip and method was very carefully engineered, you will have NO problems with expansion and contraction, ever.

Vinyl has a memory, and when over stretched, like using snap rods and snap buttons it can, and does, over time lose it's memory and sag, rendering it

useless. Our attachment system was made with this in mind.

The trick is not to have the vinyl like a drum skin, which you cannot do with our fabric anyway.. but you already knew that right?

I put an 88" magestic/evo3d one together about 2-3 weeks ago... handyman my ass. Mounting the PJ to the ceiling and reinforcing it to sustain the weight of the fat vw60 required more handyman skills in 5 minutes than the ots one did put together.

I did find I had to pull out one length of the screen grip and re-apply to get a crease out of the vinyl, but it was fairly straight forward as per the instructions. You do need a rubber mallet to bash the screen grip into the channel, but thats kinda the point.

If it does sag anytime soon with heat/cooling, I'll be making a warranty claim pretty quick-smart as it isnt cheap (well, for me anyway).

It is a DIY kit though, how else is it meant to be shipped cross country? In terms of PQ, I have nothing to compare it to, so I cant make much of a qualitative assessment, however I had a bucks day at my place on the weekend and the 360 was on for a significant portion of the day - everyone was blown away (non-HT nerds though... so not hard).

After assembling one together, I have to agree with you that oztheatre screen is not well engineered at all. You have to be a very good handyman, a lot of patience and extremely carefull to assemble one together without damaging the screen. Unlike other screen I've seen, the way the screen fabric is stretched over the frame does not compensate for the expansion/contraction of the materials due to the changes in temperature at all. This will cause wrinkles/ripples over time. Other screen uses tension springs to "stretch" the screen fabric - so the fabric always remains "stretched".

I have owned about 4 screens in the past few years and found Richards screen to be no more difficult to assemble than a LPM Gallera, Novares or Grandview. I have been using an OTS screen for 6 months now and noticed no sign of any movement etc. How many screens have to put together? Which ones were easier to put together?

I have been using an OTS screen for 6 months now and noticed no sign of any movement etc.

Righto so most are talking up the Oztheatre screen particularly in terms of picture quality. My question now then is whether to go for the cinescope screen. My projector (PT-AE500) will not do the vertical scaling. Does anybody use a HTPC to do it because I have one of those! I am also a little scared off by the prospect of a further $1000 for another lens!

Righto so most are talking up the Oztheatre screen particularly in terms of picture quality. My question now then is whether to go for the cinescope screen. My projector (PT-AE500) will not do the vertical scaling. Does anybody use a HTPC to do it because I have one of those! I am also a little scared off by the prospect of a further $1000 for another lens!

If you're in Brisbane, call us, book a time and I'll spend as long as you need showing you our screens ok.

As for lenses, we are producing a new lens and we're right in the middle of it as we speak. Optically coated prisms too!

It should be well under $1,000.

IMO yes it is harder tahn a screentechnics to put together and I doubt anyone will deny that--

BUT if its all about PQthen as I said I havent seen a better pQ than wht Im getting on the OTZ

W

Your image height will be the same (if zooming or using a lens)

Masking curtains are often used to mask the 16:9 image.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I probably will go for a Cinescope Screen but I think I will just zoom it. I don't think I can justify the additional cost and with Panasonic introducing zoom memory in the 3000AE others are sure to follow.

I assume in conjuction with zooming you have to adjust the image vertical position down to get rid of the bottom black bar?

Also where have people obtained (and what have they used for) the material for side curtains? Has anyone just grabbed basic black curtains from Spotlight for example?

Edited by Hercules

Thanks for all the advice guys. I probably will go for a Cinescope Screen but I think I will just zoom it. I don't think I can justify the additional cost and with Panasonic introducing zoom memory in the 3000AE others are sure to follow.

I assume in conjuction with zooming you have to adjust the image vertical position down to get rid of the bottom black bar?

Also where have people obtained (and what have they used for) the material for side curtains? Has anyone just grabbed basic black curtains from Spotlight for example?

Have a look here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1000388 this one of the most logical DIY masking systems I've seen.

Note how he has stitched a straight piece of timber into the inner hem to give the curtain a nice straight edge. You could use anything from 20mm conduit to

timber dowel for this. The rest is off the shelf curtain tracks and parts.

Yes, normally you need to adjust the vertical lens shift to zoom (with the new pana you wont have to though) which is great if you shelf mount, not so good if

you're ceiling mounting and cannot reach the projector.

I would use something really black like lycra, you may need to hunt around, don't think spotlight carry much black material these days. Dont settle for any black

though, go as black as you can. I got some really black stuff on ebay a while back for $20 or so.

You do need a rubber mallet to bash the screen grip into the channel, but thats kinda the point.

:o

When I built mine it came with a roller tool that you used to press the flyscreen rubber into the channel.

Nup, no special tool anymore, the manual says hand or soft hammer. The hand lasts about 5 minutes before your thumb is bent backwards, so a rubber mallet takes over.

This same question has been asked many times before on this forum, and fair enough because the screen is an important part of a HT system. My thoughts are you should buy the best screen you can't afford. Why? Because the screen is one of those things that you'll keep for many years and outlast several projector upgrades.

There are some good screens available at the budget end of the spectrum. Good in-so-far as good value because they do a reasonable job at a fair price. There are some excellent screens available at the high-end of the market, and for those you'll pay top dollar. These probably don't represent as good value because the incremental gain in their performance characteristics might be difficult to justify by the big price difference.

I think a $7k investment on a screen is money well spent because I'll get many years service out of it. I think $2k on a screen can also be money well spent because it's excellent value for the price paid.