Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chesty

Projector Screen

152 posts in this topic

A lot of people tend to give Oz Theatre's screens a big wrap, particuarly the Majestic with the Evolution 3D fabric.

How do the other screens compare price and quality wise. I know Stewart Screens are not cheap and also what about LP Morgan and Screen Technics?

I guess I am looking for best bang for buck.

Just working out which way to go for a 100" screen.

Edited by Chesty

A lot of people tend to give Oz Theatre's screens a big wrap, particuarly the Majestic with the Evolution 3D fabric.

How do the other screens compare price and quality wise. I know Stewart Screens are not cheap and also what about LP Morgan and Screen Technics?

Hey Chesty, pm Phil, I can't remember where he got his but he seems to be extremely happy with it, his is 100" as well.

Cheers,

Karen.

I'm a layman at this topic, but have only heard good things re the oz theatres from different people. re stewart its mega dollars, plus from what I gather it appears you need a setup to really justify it. In my room for instance think it would be wasted plus youd probably want to be running a top notch pj with it to justify it I suspect.

I've seen the lp morgan electric drop down screen at curious' and also in shops doing a great job, seems like a good product and probably what I would go for if I ever get there ! :rolleyes:

Hey Chesty, pm Phil, I can't remember where he got his but he seems to be extremely happy with it, his is 100" as well.

Cheers,

Karen.

Thanks Kazz will do.

I have an Aurora screen from oztheartre, which doesn't have the evolution fabric, still a brilliant image.

I can say that that frames are excellent and sturdy, with the blackest of black surround, that is like a black

hole in absorbing any over spill.

The velcro method of tensioning the screen works really well, and it takes no time to set up.

I have an Aurora screen from oztheartre, which doesn't have the evolution fabric, still a brilliant image.

I can say that that frames are excellent and sturdy, with the blackest of black surround, that is like a black

hole in absorbing any over spill.

The velcro method of tensioning the screen works really well, and it takes no time to set up.

I was going to ask are they difficult to set up? Understanding that with Oz Theatre screens they are not assembled.

I was going to ask are they difficult to set up? Understanding that with Oz Theatre screens they are not assembled.

10 minutes max to set up

They are really well packed.

The 4 sides connect at the corners with a flat angle bracket that slots it,

with 4 grubs screws, this makes for a very solid frame even without the screen stretched on,

I am assuming that the majestic just uses a higher quaility material.

I was quoted $800 at Todds Hi Fi for an 82" screen with a powder coated frame.

From oztheatre via an ebay sale I got a 90" with the blackest velvet covered frame for $299

so for price and quality you can't go past it.

They are really well packed.

The 4 sides connect at the corners with a flat angle bracket that slots it,

with 4 grubs screws, this makes for a very solid frame even without the screen stretched on,

I am assuming that the majestic just uses a higher quaility material.

I was quoted $800 at Todds Hi Fi for an 82" screen with a powder coated frame.

From oztheatre via an ebay sale I got a 90" with the blackest velvet covered frame for $299

so for price and quality you can't go past it.

Wow that was a great price. Thanks for that. I think the Majestic with Evo 3D is the way to go.

Chesty,

I have one of Richard's screens (Majestic with Evo3D fabric) in scope format. You mentioned in your original post "bang for your buck". Well, I can tell you with absolute certainty that Richard's screens are THE best bang for your buck screen around, bar none.

The build quality is superb, the velvet flocking, as Kopthat has said, is a veritable black hole and the Evo3D fabric is 1st class.

I've had mine for near on 12 months, and I still grin from ear to ear when I watch a movie on it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Prior

Chesty,

I have one of Richard's screens (Majestic with Evo3D fabric) in scope format. You mentioned in your original post "bang for your buck". Well, I can tell you with absolute certainty that Richard's screens are THE best bang for your buck screen around, bar none.

The build quality is superb, the velvet flocking, as Kopthat has said, is a veritable black hole and the Evo3D fabric is 1st class.

I've had mine for near on 12 months, and I still grin from ear to ear when I watch a movie on it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris. Yes that seals it I think. I did speak with Richard and he was very helpful. I was just curious to see what others thought on the respective choices.

I've been looking at a whole bunch of screens, from Stewarts to the cheaper Aussie brands for a friend of mine. After 2 weeks of reading, I've decided to recommend he gets himself a SilverStar Vutec screen. Importing it will the problem. They seem remarkably cheap for what they are.

They have lots of gain without the hotspotting issues - check out the review on AVS. Essentially a HP screen with a minimal amount of ill side-effects. Everyone that buys one has been extremely happy with them.

Having said that, I'm using a Dream cheap ($50) screen right now, 92" 1.1 gain, matte white. Its actually quite good!

I've got a Stewart Greyhawk in my HT. Very easy to recommend Stewart because they are widely recognized as the best screen money can buy. But most people wouldn't want to drop $7k on a screen, so it loses out on the price vs performance criteria. But that applies to just about anything, because at some point you get on the exponential curve where the price goes through the roof to squeeze out the slightest improvement in performance, e.g. if you want the best amp money can buy, you go to Len Wallis and put down $70k on a Halcro DM88. But my Aragon amp is probably 85% of a Halcro and only 15% of the price.

My main problem with the Stewart is this. With so many $$$ hanging off the ceiling, I go bezerk when the nephews come around and try to poke holes in my screen when playing the PS3, or try and slice it with their light sabre's when watching Star Wars, or kick soccer balls at it, touch it with their chocolate icecream coated fingers and the like. Screaming at the kids does nothing but upset their parents...I've really got to hang those (lockable) doors on my HT!!

Never, ever get a Nintendo Wii :-D

That's what will be good about my setup - screen will be 3m off the ground, so well out of the way.

I've got a Stewart Greyhawk in my HT. Very easy to recommend Stewart because they are widely recognized as the best screen money can buy. But most people wouldn't want to drop $7k on a screen, so it loses out on the price vs performance criteria. But that applies to just about anything, because at some point you get on the exponential curve where the price goes through the roof to squeeze out the slightest improvement in performance, e.g. if you want the best amp money can buy, you go to Len Wallis and put down $70k on a Halcro DM88. But my Aragon amp is probably 85% of a Halcro and only 15% of the price.

My main problem with the Stewart is this. With so many $$$ hanging off the ceiling, I go bezerk when the nephews come around and try to poke holes in my screen when playing the PS3, or try and slice it with their light sabre's when watching Star Wars, or kick soccer balls at it, touch it with their chocolate icecream coated fingers and the like. Screaming at the kids does nothing but upset their parents...I've really got to hang those (lockable) doors on my HT!!

You are right Beejay, at some point you have to weigh up price vs performance and decide how big or small the gap is. If money was no object then yes I would go all out but like all of us thats no the case.

As for kids in the HT, grrrrr....

Also a fabric from OZTS that is not that well known is the Acoustic Vision (AKA SMX) and whilst it is acoustically transparent, even if you had no intention of putting your speakers behind it, it should be known that it also reflects one dam good looking image. The product really does look as good as it sounds...

Mark

Also a fabric from OZTS that is not that well known is the Acoustic Vision (AKA SMX) and whilst it is acoustically transparent, even if you had no intention of putting your speakers behind it, it should be known that it also reflects one dam good looking image. The product really does look as good as it sounds...

Mark

Is it that much better than the Evo 3D Mark?