Sign in to follow this  
whispa1970

Mystar - Issues And Comments

Should be exactly the same as for the Atlas/Flinders or Titan STB if your had one of those.

Both the remotes work for any of the STB's.

but you have to add the extra buttons ... oh well ...

My TV Guide seems to be working a bit better now. It's still slower than my old box but at least it's not freezing all the time! I'm thinking about emailing Austar and telling them they HAVE to change the music on the TV Guide Planner!

We've been giving it a good working out recording wise and it seems to be handling it all OK. Although I still haven't been able to get it to record Neighbours every night of the week using a Manual Recording, anyone else tried this?

do you have autotune like on foxtel ?

so it automatically changes channel to the program you have set a reminder for ?

thats very important for me :)

Edited by billyb67

do you have autotune like on foxtel ?

so it automatically changes channel to the program you have set a reminder for ?

thats very important for me :)

No.

Basic GUI principles - provide user feedback as possible. So display a reminder on the screen asking if they want to change channel rather than just changing it. You guys want it to be able to record stuff off it. Tell me, how many times have you watched what you've recorded already? And given the number of times that you've watched the same thing over and over again, how much time overall do you spend watching Austar? :-)

This has to be one of the most asked for features I hear about, yet Austar has consistently failed to provide it.

This has to be one of the most asked for features I hear about, yet Austar has consistently failed to provide it.

Lets not generalise. Perhaps its the most asked for feature by a minority group (of enthusiasts?)? *shrug* Thats the only reason why I can think of. Don't get me wrong, as a customer I would love to see it myself as well.

Uh no. I hear it from enough people to know that its not an 'enthusiast' only desire. There are plenty of people out there that *gasp* record programming from Austar to view later and would dearly like their STB to be able to change channel to assist with that. Foxtel viewers have the facility (despite the existence of the IQ), while Austar viewers get left out (as usual it seems).

Of course, now that the MyStar is released, there's buckly's chance of the feature being implemented. If you ask for this feature you will no doubt be directed to the MyStar - for only $15 / month.

Uh no. I hear it from enough people to know that its not an 'enthusiast' only desire. There are plenty of people out there that *gasp* record programming from Austar to view later and would dearly like their STB to be able to change channel to assist with that. Foxtel viewers have the facility (despite the existence of the IQ), while Austar viewers get left out (as usual it seems).

Of course, now that the MyStar is released, there's buckly's chance of the feature being implemented. If you ask for this feature you will no doubt be directed to the MyStar - for only $15 / month.

Still cheaper all round than Foxtel/IQ! :rolleyes:

so was anyone asked for contact details to provide feedback to austar? or are we just the first of many to get the mystar??

I would've thought that this is effectively a "soft launch" wih us guinea pigs to sort out te final issues and that we would be contacted on a frequent basis to judge feedback...

Or is that just me?

so was anyone asked for contact details to provide feedback to austar? or are we just the first of many to get the mystar??

I would've thought that this is effectively a "soft launch" wih us guinea pigs to sort out te final issues and that we would be contacted on a frequent basis to judge feedback...

Or is that just me?

Just you I am thinking. They already know the issues, considering that many have been installed for some 3 or 4 months now.

Austar are also looking at the actual install time and issues that may arrise from that, as there are issues with the FTA component, some mystars are not seeing all the channels for particular areas that they are supposed to.

There are other issues with the FTA such as some towns being in the middle of 2 transmitters, such as Melbourne and Ballarat, some customers receive ballarat only, when the neighbour receives Melbourne only.

Apart from that, things are going smootly so far as the customer will see.

Just you I am thinking. They already know the issues, considering that many have been installed for some 3 or 4 months now.

Austar are also looking at the actual install time and issues that may arrise from that, as there are issues with the FTA component, some mystars are not seeing all the channels for particular areas that they are supposed to.

There are other issues with the FTA such as some towns being in the middle of 2 transmitters, such as Melbourne and Ballarat, some customers receive ballarat only, when the neighbour receives Melbourne only.

I had Austar give me a call tonight asking if they could have a quality control inspector come and have a look at the work done last week (the mystar install) I had to say no cos no one will be home. Anyone else get a call like that?

I had Austar give me a call tonight asking if they could have a quality control inspector come and have a look at the work done last week (the mystar install) I had to say no cos no one will be home. Anyone else get a call like that?

Thats common for any install, regardless if its mystar or not. you could of had an outlet relocated,full new install, additional outlet. they will be there for less than 5 mins, they just want to check out how it was installed / how it looks, no big deal.

You don't know whether or not it will be implemented. Are you professing that you can tell the future plans for Austar? :-)

If there are so many customers who gasp for such a feature as you say, then in that case the number of calls to Austar made by customers should be high and rising in that case? Can you tell me if that is occurring?

If you don't know, then you can't expect a company to change its functions based on a fraction of percentage of customers' feedback. I know I made a call twice about this. I believe that this has not been implemented because I am guessing that some decoder models are not able to do such things and of the 7 or so different decoder models, if one can't do such a function, then the function will not be implemented on the ones that can. However, the counter argument is that all the aspect ratio options are not available on all decoder models?? For example, ST20's won't do letterbox or postcard and the other models do! So its a case of "things that make you go hmmm" - I suppose in conclusion if auto tuning is as rampant and important as setting aspect ratios, then I'm sure it would have been implemented regardless.

As for implementation in my mind, I think at the very least it would be easy to put in an extra option in the Active menu - "do you want a reminder notification to appear on the screen or do you want the decoder to automatically tune to the service when the time arrives"? I think that would be the most effective of simple enhancements.

You don't know whether or not it will be implemented. Are you professing that you can tell the future plans for Austar?

I believe that this has not been implemented because I am guessing that some decoder models are not able to do such things and of the 7 or so different decoder models, if one can't do such a function, then the function will not be implemented on the ones that can.

Ah, I see. Its ok for you to make guesses, but not me. Thanks for the advice, duly noted. :blink:

Even the most humble of Austar's decoders are more than capable of doing it, simple observation should have told you that. A sensible approach to the implementation would be to have another option in the EPG area, set a reminder - or - set an auto channel change event. No need for a global switch that removes the reminder option, someone out there might actually use the reminder function.

Which is really really nice; pushing out product with known 'issues' to the subscribers. Looks like Austar and Foxtel aren't all that different afterall.

To me this 'limited' release is a final shake down, its just not advertised as such.

as there are issues with the FTA component, some mystars are not seeing all the channels for particular areas that they are supposed to.

That's interesting.

I do FTA installs all the time, and wonder as this thing rolls out how a technician will cope when they strike a difficult FTA receive area, and believe me, they are out there. The fall back of installing a digital only (whatever that is) antenna will not always solve the problem.

Is there level 2/3 expertise to call when things go sour on that side of the equation? :unsure:

The fta tuners only give 7,9 & 10 but no channel 2 which is broadcasting a dolby digital pro-logic code, the channel 2 from the satellite is PCM (basic stereo) only.

A small birdie* has whispered in my ear and has told me the reason that FTA ABC transmission isn't used is to allow viewers to use 'interactive' applications when the ABC broadcasts them. It was thought that if two lots of ABCs were listed (one FTA, one sat) the viewers would become confused setting timer events and working out which ABC supported interactive apps etc. That there are two ABC main channels in the channel list anyway (NSW and a state based version) seems to have slipped past someone with this line of thought.

*birdie flies higher than a lowly installer