Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
metamatic

Pure/av - Belkin Home Theatre Surge Protector

177 posts in this topic

Hey Dave,

Thanks again for looking at my post. I have to say I get my boards from Thor directly as I use them in all the installs my company does, but where I first saw them was at a local Harvey Norman store near me, don't know if they still sell them though, they seem to be as rare as hens teeth(if you know what I mean)!!! I spoke to one of the reps yesterday about who stocks their range and he stated that they have good relations with dedicated AV stores, but they are trying to get into the major retail market but have trouble as big major brands have done deals to get in there. This is what makes me so mad, it really doesn't matter what Aussie company is out there trying to get a name for themselves they always seem to be overlooked because of price, anyway one day we maight see a change. Have a great and humbled ANZAC day to all on Saturday and look forward to hearing from you soon Dave.

Kind regards,

Bgirl

I agree with Bgirl. I wanted more than what the Belkin PF60 could offer. I wanted something that would give me a constant 240v as well as giving me clean power and surge protection. I did some research and came up with the Thor PS10 and an extra A12 power board. I convinced my local Domayne (Penrith) store to get it in for me and got them to contact the local NSW rep for Thor Technologies.

I'm extremely happy with what I've bought and can't recommend Thor Technologies highly enough. I know Len Wallis recommends them.

You should talk to them and get them to set up an e-store on their web site. That way the customer gets cheaper prices and Thor don't have to worry about the middleman.

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks again for looking at my post. I have to say I get my boards from Thor directly as I use them in all the installs my company does, but where I first saw them was at a local Harvey Norman store near me, don't know if they still sell them though, they seem to be as rare as hens teeth(if you know what I mean)!!! I spoke to one of the reps yesterday about who stocks their range and he stated that they have good relations with dedicated AV stores, but they are trying to get into the major retail market but have trouble as big major brands have done deals to get in there. This is what makes me so mad, it really doesn't matter what Aussie company is out there trying to get a name for themselves they always seem to be overlooked because of price, anyway one day we maight see a change. Have a great and humbled ANZAC day to all on Saturday and look forward to hearing from you soon Dave.

Kind regards,

Bgirl

Hey Bgirl and Dave,

Can you have a look and let me know what you think in here or PM? Electrical & AV Protection » Protection Devices Only thing is that prices are ex gst until checkout page.

Kind Regards,

Greg

Hi, just would like to let you know, whoever interested to get Belkin Isolator as in the original post, JB hifi Macquarie Centre sells this item for AUD 150. I just bought myself one... Just tell them BetterIt (as in AndrewW's post) sells them for AUD 150, JB will match it.

Edited by Mr Bean

Hi all :)

Went looking for one of these after reading the thread and just made a but of an impulse buy in JB :D. They didn't have the one in the OP, but they did have the bg108200au2m. They had it for $189 and I wasn't really considering it but then some guy wondered over and said I could have it for $145. I gave it a thorough read and it has the unlimited warranty, and the unlimited connected equipment warranty so I figured why not :)

It has a gimickly wireless remote which I'll never use, but was just after some opinions from you guys before I unpack and start using it ;)

Thanks!

Anyone heard of Cabac? I got one of their Power Surge Protector boards...

- 3444 Joule protection, using massive ganged MOV’s

- Maximum spike current 144,000A

- Maximum spike voltage 6KV

- Full line protection L-N, N-E, L-E

- Clamping voltage 710V

- Response time < 1 Nanosecond

LED displays advise

- Protection circuit is working

- Board is correctly earthed, or protection cannot work

. Four of the outlets are widely spaced for power packs

. Noise protection capacitor 0.47µF

Phone/ADSL line protection:

- MOV protected 160 Joules

- Clamping voltage 395V

- Three RJ12 jacks 1 in 2 out

Cord length 1.8m

http://www.cabac.com.au/webshop/public/prodinfo/PB80

Edited by atlas01

Just to let you know that The Good Guys in Osborne Park, Perth, sell Thor powerboards. Just bought two myself (one for a mate). They have the a12 retailing at $199, but you can get it cheaper than that if you ask. Just thought people would want to know. Remember that all Good Guys are franchised so some may stock while others don't.

I have one of these connected to my SONY 46XLCD I am slightly disappointed to discover that whenever someone in the house turns a light switch on/off I get a sound (and sometimes picture) dropout for a split second. I thought having one of these would fix this problem.

This sounds like something interfering on the RF (inbuilt digital tuner) side to me not your mains power. Do you live in a marginal signal area, what is your digital reception generally like?

This sounds like something interfering on the RF (inbuilt digital tuner) side to me not your mains power. Do you live in a marginal signal area, what is your digital reception generally like?
Digital reception could not be better. 10 out of 10. Happens when viewing through Toppy also. I must admit it's not 'everytime' a switch is used but most times.

I have the exact same problem - did you find an answer? I've tried running the RF through a serge protection broad but it still happens. I'm running a normal RF cable into a wall socket which is running 700 ohm cable to a roof antenna (I have no idea what it is as live in an apartment and it's on the roof).

Edited by paulisdead

So does anyone know the cheapest place to get one of these F9G823au3M in Melb?

Alternatively, how does the surge protection in that unit compare to the F9G823au2M? I don't really need the power filtering capabilities, so perhaps this one would be sufficient. Officeworks sell them, and I can get them to price match $95 taking it down to about $90 odd dollars which doesn't seem too bad.

So does anyone know the cheapest place to get one of these F9G823au3M in Melb?

Alternatively, how does the surge protection in that unit compare to the F9G823au2M? I don't really need the power filtering capabilities, so perhaps this one would be sufficient. Officeworks sell them, and I can get them to price match $95 taking it down to about $90 odd dollars which doesn't seem too bad.

Check out http://www.betterit.com.au/scripts/prodvie...dproduct=107037 It's 30% off RRP. Note, $15 for minimum fee for delivery Victoria.

Happy with the product. Can notice the difference in the picture quality on TV. Haven't really tested out the audio side of things if it makes a noticeable differece.

I'm a bit confused.

In relation to Belkin 'Isolators' and 'Surge Protectors', do Isolators offer the same level of surge protection etc?

Looking for something to plug the LCD TV, PVR, DVD, Media Centre and Sound System into.

sorry to bring up a old topic. I just have quick query. I have 2 belkin pureav surge protectors, the one in the lounge rooms connected light which is green isnt as bright as the earthed light. The unit in my bedroom both lights are the same brightness. Is there anything to be worried about in regards to the lounge room unit. Cheers.

sorry to bring up a old topic. I just have quick query. I have 2 belkin pureav surge protectors, the one in the lounge rooms connected light which is green isnt as bright as the earthed light. The unit in my bedroom both lights are the same brightness. Is there anything to be worried about in regards to the lounge room unit. Cheers.

http://www.belkin.com/au/support/ ?

Give Belkin a call and ask them directly on the phone. Usually when those lights go out then they replace the surge protector for free. Not sure about the light being dimmer though, and if that affects the surge protection, as in, if it's not providing as much protection anymore or starting to wear out.

Give Belkin a call and ask them directly on the phone. Usually when those lights go out then they replace the surge protector for free. Not sure about the light being dimmer though, and if that affects the surge protection, as in, if it's not providing as much protection anymore or starting to wear out.

Didn't realize that I was the last poster in this thread, I came in here to ask a new question ;). btw, I now have an answer to that above question - If the protection light is dimmer, then the surge protector likely needs replacing. The light went dim on one of my f9g823au2m Gold series boards and when I rang Belkin, they told me it isn't providing surge protection anymore and replaced if for me with a new one.

Anyway, the question I want to ask is, is the f9g823au3m much better than the f9g823au2m? I was able to get a hold of a f9g823au3m model and was wondering if I should use that in my computer room instead of the f9g823au2m Gold seres board that I am currently using in my computer room. The lesser of the two boards I am thinking of putting in another room to power a Plasma TV, Foxtel Digital box, DVD player, possibly a HTPC, etc.

Also, the cord won't quite reach the wall socket in the other room. Is it OK to use a short (2m) extension cord from the wall to the surge protected power board?

Edited by IceZeroZero9