colojim

Dr Who New Series

38 posts in this topic

Saw it at the cinema yesterday. The extras before and after the episode weren't shown on TV, but I guess they will be shown as separate extras later on.

The segment with Strax describing all the doctors was hilarious.

Peter Cipaldi did a great job

Cant wait to see the whole series.

Watched the Last episode last night (02/07/2017), gotta wait till Boxing Day to see the new Doctor. Get to see the 1st Doctor again.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288

Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to be given the role. The new Doctor's identity was revealed in a trailer broadcast at the end of the Wimbledon men's singles final.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40626224

Few TV casting announcements can have been as long awaited as the name of the new Doctor Who and when the revelation finally came it sent social media into a frenzy.

_96965516_doctor_1.jpg

JSmith :ninja:

They really have lost the plot, haven't they?

I was looking forward to a new series that approximated the Real Dr Who, with an actor who looked like the Real Doctor. I can remember the early shows, including those the BBC carefully lost, and every Doctor since has seemed like an impostor to me.

Anyway, why didn't they pick Joanna Lumley again :lol:

Edited by Digital Penetration

25 minutes ago, Digital Penetration said:

I was looking forward to a new series that approximated the Real Dr Who, with an actor who looked like the Real Doctor. I can remember the early shows, including those the BBC carefully lost, and every Doctor since has seemed like an impostor to me.

Anyway, why didn't they pick Joanna Lumley again :lol:

A bit yes... I have no issue at all with a female actor playing a major role in anything, but the Dr Who series has never indicated that time lords can change gender, apart from when it happened to The Master recently and that seemed to have only been done to allow this new change.

Anyway, I expect Jodie will do quite well in the part as she is a fantastic actor and will certainly please many fans.

Some info from fans @ WP;

@54077469 CapnCoastie writes...
["It's also been referenced a few times on the canonical radio plays, I've heard."]

@54077475 NorthSiderTom writes...
["I believe it was mentioned off hand in the Doctor's Wife – The Corsair had changed genders."]

@54077526 SheldonE writes...
["And also in Hell Bent, one of the Timelord generals regenerates into a female."]

Fair calls... I stand corrected! :)

Well now I have no issue at all, it's probably about time then.

4 hours ago, Digital Penetration said:

What is the plot of Dr Who for it to be lost?

Is there a "Real Dr Who"? They/it regenerates to another body so the only part  that can be called real is their memory surely. The physical body is just the carrier for that essence which is The Doctor.

Interesting find by [email protected];

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/125629891

Little surprise this news ; as long as the actor does eccentric well like Tom Baker   ' its a bit inevitable in this day and age imo :)

But calls for a female Doctor go back as far as the 1970’s. Each time the lead announces they are departing, speculation   becomes rife that a woman would step into the role. However, in the world of Doctor Who female Timelords - sometimes known as Time Ladies - have been around for decades

As there are female Gallifreyans, there are female Time Lords (sometimes called Time Ladies).

To date, the series has featured several confirmed female Time Lords: Rodan ("The Invasion of Time"), Romana, Darkel (a.k.a. the Inquisitor), the Rani, and the unnamed woman who appears in "The End of Time". The voices of several female Time Lords are also heard in "The Doctor's Wife".

1 person likes this

Ugh. Goodness! Where have i been?? Judging from the reviews...I need to jump on this ship asap!!

I'm convinced a woman can be a far darker character, and yet be forgiven and even likeable, compared to a man - being older should mean more considered and the stories always deal with something else dark-ish.  I liked Missy, and though I'm sure I liked the Master, I knew it was "more" wrong...  There's real scope here.  Regenerating into a woman isn't a problem (IMO) but I would appreciate good writing to go along with it.

Also, is it just me, but when I "obtained" the 36 series of "male dominance", I don't ever recall watching "the Rani" on the ABC in the 80's.  Great episode though.