Sign in to follow this  
The_Preacher1973

Nielsen High Def Disc Sales Figures

As a matter of fact I think the last time Europe influenced a war was 1945 and even then the Americans decided it for them.

:lol::lol:

As these figures for BR disc sales are largely driven by the adoption of the PS3 as a Blu-ray player, it will be interesting to see what happens to them if the current version of the PS3 (pre- profile 1.1) fails to be compatible with future BR discs.

C.M

As these figures for BR disc sales are largely driven by the adoption of the PS3 as a Blu-ray player, it will be interesting to see what happens to them if the current version of the PS3 (pre- profile 1.1) fails to be compatible with future BR discs.

C.M

While 1.1 may be a problem for standalone units, I don't see any reason why the PS3 should have a problem with it. It's a powerful computer for crying out loud. While they may not be able to enable it entirely through firmware, they should be able to install some sort of BD-J emulator on the hard drive that a new firmware knows it has to load in order to play these discs.

Mind you, that's not to say they will do it. Just saying that I'm sure they could get it to work if they really want to.

Shouldn't be any more difficult than say writing an emulator to play old PS2 games should it? ;):P:lol:

Shouldn't be any more difficult than say writing an emulator to play old PS2 games should it? ;):P:lol:

Touche.

While 1.1 may be a problem for standalone units, I don't see any reason why the PS3 should have a problem with it. It's a powerful computer for crying out loud. While they may not be able to enable it entirely through firmware, they should be able to install some sort of BD-J emulator on the hard drive that a new firmware knows it has to load in order to play these discs.

Mind you, that's not to say they will do it. Just saying that I'm sure they could get it to work if they really want to.

are you arguing for or against with this one? :huh:

Just found an interesting link over at AVS. It shows the sales ranking for DVD players at one of their major electronics retailers (Circuit City):

Circuit City DVD Player Sales Rankings

Now this is a live/updated link so it might look differently when you click on it but as of right now the new Sony BDP-S300 Blu Ray player is ranked at #5. There are only two stand alone units above it (2 Philips units, the others above it are portables).

What I find interesting is that it's ranked ahead of the Sony and Samsung SD-DVD players (6th and 8th respectively). If this is sustainable it's good news for HDM going mainstream. Of course, as this player has just been released it could simply be a result of pent up demand and it may die off in a similar way the PS3 did.

As an aside, the highest ranking HD-DVD player is the HD-A2 in 21st place. Even more interesting is the price on this unit. They're selling it for $272.

Neilsen BRD/HD-DVD Videoscan Numbers for Week Ending 1st July 2007:

Week 65/35

Year to Date 67/33

Since Inception 60/40

As expected, a slight swing back to HD-DVD this week due to the fact that there were 14 new titles released for the week on HD-DVD and only 2 on Blu Ray (both of which were released on HD-DVD as well).

The consistent 2:1 ratio finally had an effect on the since inception numbers which changed 1 percentage point in Blu Rays favour.

Clearly bu-ray are selling more discs, but at a 5:1 player advantage, a 2:1 sales advantage must be somewhat concerning :huh:

Clearly bu-ray are selling more discs, but at a 5:1 player advantage, a 2:1 sales advantage must be somewhat concerning :huh:

HD DVD fanboy :P

there you go, I beat Jace to it.

Andrew.

Well, since many here consider the PS3 to be a mere game console, that would not be bought(much) to play Blu Ray movie disks and that Blu Ray stand alone players are much less than the number Hd-Dvd players out there, it must be somewhat concerning to the Hd-Dvd camp that more Blu Ray disks are being sold with less players :o....................... :lol:

Well, since many here consider the PS3 to be a mere game console, that would not be bought(much) to play Blu Ray movie disks and that Blu Ray stand alone players are much less than the number Hd-Dvd players out there, it must be somewhat concerning to the Hd-Dvd camp that more Blu Ray disks are being sold with less players :o....................... :lol:

ahh the old double count.

when we want to crow about BD player numbers, we'll count the PS3s.

When we want to crow about BD disc attach rates, we'll just neglect to count PS3s (I mean they're only games consoles, right :rolleyes: ?)

So HJ, how well does it pay to be on the Phase Hydra payroll ?

ahh the old double count.

when we want to crow about BD player numbers, we'll count the PS3s.

When we want to crow about BD disc attach rates, we'll just neglect to count PS3s (I mean they're only games consoles, right :rolleyes: ?)

So HJ, how well does it pay to be on the Phase Hydra payroll ?

oh my Andrew, they sure want their cake and eat it too. Either the PS3 counts as a BD player and should be seen as a home media hub (as a certain someone has been claiming for near on a year now) or it is just a games machine (your quote seems to indicate that is the current stance for this jokester). Personally I see it as purely a BD player these days. To be a games console, it would need, like.....games.

My previous comment regarding sales for the install base was merely an observation, not some sinister attempt to promote that other format. Obviously they have their own problems as well.

Just checking that I've got a handle on this.

The big brains of internet blogs now see the "war" thus:

The delays in designing and manufacturing an 'on-paper' advantage for BD now amount to nought.

Brand names on BD side of the paper and on BD players aren't going to win it.

Region coding and other anti-consumer methods have no bearing.

Price premiums based on percieved quality not physical quality count for nothing.

It all boils down to who has signed up the most content?

Am I the only one who thinks these people are not into putting the consumers interests first when voicing their public support for the one format?

It all boils down to who has signed up the most content?

Well, yeah. Otherwise we'd just unplug all the inputs on our displays and watch snow.

Well, yeah. Otherwise we'd just unplug all the inputs on our displays and watch snow.

[must resist obligatory big brother jibe] :wacko:

:rolleyes: Um... yeah. The point I was (trying) to make is that we can now take away all the FUD about Blu-ray being the "better" product and just concentrate on the true facts of this "war" which is that the side that locks up the content will prevail.

That's fine when all things are equal.

But when I hear bloggers like Bill Hunt trying to say they're giving comment with readers' best interests at heart I nearly choke. I don't think these people have ever really asked themselves, are more expensive players, fluid specs, built in obsolescence and more restrictive terms of use best for consumers when the viewing experience is the same?