Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael.C

Cih And New Scope Screen Installed

16 posts in this topic

Hi Everybody,

The screen has been installed for a few weeks, but last night I tweaked my lens a little more and finally took some pictures I'm happy to share with others.

I built a prism HE lens based on Mark Techer's Aussiemorphic lens. Instead of using Mark's MDF housing, I made mine from Aluminium.

http://www.users.on.net/~michaelcarey/pics/lens/

I ordered an OZ Theatre Screens Majestic 2.37:1 scope screen with the Evo3D fabric. It's a quality screen, easy to assemble and the fabric fastening system is simple but very effective. Thumbs up! I made some aluminium frames to hold the screen around 400mm away from the back wall. One day I hope to cover the wall behind the screen with some kind of acoustic treatments or curtains (mainly to hide the old blacked out window!).

Here are some photos of the screen installed and in action. The files are a little big, I was playing with the manual aperture and shutter speed on my camera and forgot to reset the resolution.

http://www.users.on.net/~michaelcarey/pics/newscreen/

My projector is an old Sony VPL-W400Q, so please excuse the image quality, plus I still have to align the LCD polarizing plates after I disassembled and cleaned the optics a few months back. There is a slight blue/cyan tinge along the left hand edge.

I have also included some pics of my HT equipment and seating arrangements. The front row of seats (the modular lounge is bolted together) has four Aura Bass Shakers fed with the LFE channel.

Regards,

Michael.

The whole setup is a masterpiece Michael. That is a true movie enthusiast's HT, congratulations and well done. :blink:

I drool with envy ... love the exit sign over the door, gives it that "hey I'm in a cinema and no one is crunching their chips" feel.

I drool with envy ... love the exit sign over the door, gives it that "hey I'm in a cinema and no one is crunching their chips" feel.

Got to love CIH. Really well done Michael :blink:

Mark

Thanks for all the great comments guys! I do love watching movies...

BTW, in the shot showing the seats, DVD rack and equipment... the metal frame hanging from the ceiling is my old 16:9 screen frame! It's going to be recycled as an acoustic panel...

Looks fantastic Michael, with a real attention to detail and setup. I notice the two Whise subs up the front too, how do they perform...? Very nice....

Nice setup :blink: Can I ask how and what you're controlling all the gear in the room at the rear with?

I have a Philips Pronto TSU3000, but it's suffered from the dreaded touch screen failure, I'm still undecided what to do with it yet.

So for now, I use individual remotes. I only need a couple for a movie... the main Yamaha DSP-A1 remote, the DVD remote and the remote for the Clipsal C-Bus lighting system. I have a Xantech IR distribution system with an IR receiver mounted near the screen (plus another IR receiver in the lounge room).

Looks fantastic Michael, with a real attention to detail and setup. I notice the two Whise subs up the front too, how do they perform...? Very nice....

I love my Profunder 624! I bought it about three years ago and power it with a Yamaha P2500 amplifier in bridge mode (around 700 watts).

Very tight and clean bass response, with more than enough SPL.. but I've got to change their location.

The enclosures used to be around 2 metres apart (as you can see, they double as my centre channel speaker stand) and this provided a much smoother bass response across the seating locations. Where they are at the moment, some seats get great bass, a couple are lacking somewhat and one other (back left corner, near the equipment rack) gets way too much bass! I'm thinking of putting the Profunder 624 enclosures under my current speaker stands (I didn't have them turned on, but the speaker stand stars light up too!)

I've also been thinking about getting the Velodyne SMS-1 subwoofer processor.

Regards,

Michael.

P.S. I just ran the images through a web album generator, they are little smaller now...

I love my Profunder 624! I bought it about three years ago and power it with a Yamaha P2500 amplifier in bridge mode (around 700 watts).

Very tight and clean bass response, with more than enough SPL.. but I've got to change their location.

The enclosures used to be around 2 metres apart (as you can see, they double as my centre channel speaker stand) and this provided a much smoother bass response across the seating locations. Where they are at the moment, some seats get great bass, a couple are lacking somewhat and one other (back left corner, near the equipment rack) gets way too much bass! I'm thinking of putting the Profunder 624 enclosures under my current speaker stands (I didn't have them turned on, but the speaker stand stars light up too!)

I've also been thinking about getting the Velodyne SMS-1 subwoofer processor.

Regards,

Michael.

P.S. I just ran the images through a web album generator, they are little smaller now...

Hi Michael,

When you move them around have a good read of this excellent research into sub location - the results are worth a try IMO: http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=1003