Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cooksta

Another Review Of Sony Dvp-ns76h

22 posts in this topic

Purchased this unit yesterday and have played around with it a bit so here goes;

Unit made in Malaysia.Poor packing inside box consisted of egg carton type material which does not offer much protection to Player.

Unit has 1 digital coax and 1 digital optical connection for audio and is both dolby digital and dts compatable.Currently using digital optical and "Master and Commander" dts sounds awesome.

Video connections include both HDMI and component.

HDMI- allows 720p and 1080i upconversion; this is selectable in the screen setup but is not accessable when playing disc.Resolutions available 720x480/576p; 1280x720p; 1920x1080i.

Component- Allows 525p-625p according to manual.User cannot select setting.it is done automatically by dvd player according to source.

You must use HDMI or component to get progressive output (upscaling).Also to select progressive a button on unit itself must be pressed (not on remote). This scrolls through auto progressive/video prog & interlaced.

Tried Hdmi-576p/720p/1080i- seemed good, did not notice any video problems like artifacts/ jitter or picture shift.

Component-actual output depended on dvd, LOTR2 gave 576p while Pet sematary gave 480p according to pana plasma.576p picture very good to me( an improvement over interlaced); LOTR2 looked excellent.

There are a number of picture adjustments available with the usual Dynamic 1&2 (yikes), as well as cinema 1&2; standard and user defined.With a quick fiddle with these I found cinema1 and standard to be good.Also available are settings for noise reduction, dnr &bnr as well as sharpness adjustments.

I am mainly going to use the component connection as I only have 1 hdmi connector on my panasonic plasma 42 inch and bought a unit capable of at least feeding progressive into my display.

Also unit is region free, it has region 4 sticker on box but was assured by sale staff that it played all regions.Tried Talking Heads region 2 disc and it played with no dramas.

Overall seems very good with good picture and sound (love that DTS) and will get me by until the smoke clears in the HDDVD-Bluray war and prices of said items reach WAF level. :blink:

Regards Steve

Thanks for this review on the very player I am looking to buy.

If I may ask a couple of questions:

1) I take it no HDMI cable is included?

2) You previously had 576i feeding your display from DVD, and you say that it looks better on your 42". Previously did you have any issues with noticing the image being a little poor on slow pans or the like? If so, did this player fix those issues and result in a markedly improved image? (I'm trying to work out if this issue is due to interlaced DVD or something else )

Another positive review to this machine though... looks like the one I'll be buying!

If I may ask a couple of questions:

1) I take it no HDMI cable is included?

2) You previously had 576i feeding your display from DVD, and you say that it looks better on your 42". Previously did you have any issues with noticing the image being a little poor on slow pans or the like? If so, did this player fix those issues and result in a markedly improved image? (I'm trying to work out if this issue is due to interlaced DVD or something else )

Hi Spoco

1)no hdmi cable I'm afraid.

2)I had no real issues that you describe.

Regards Steve

Any further impressions on the upscaling capabilities of this player ?

I havent had a chance to view any more dvd's via the sony due to work commitments, but will be trying out the hdmi over the weekend with regard to spocos comments about component in his review.

The problem I have is only 1 hdmi connection available on my plasma, which is currently used for stb.

Regards Steve.

Purchased this unit yesterday and have played around with it a bit so here goes;

Unit made in Malaysia.Poor packing inside box consisted of egg carton type material which does not offer much protection to Player.

Unit has 1 digital coax and 1 digital optical connection for audio and is both dolby digital and dts compatable.Currently using digital optical and "Master and Commander" dts sounds awesome.

Video connections include both HDMI and component.

HDMI- allows 720p and 1080i upconversion; this is selectable in the screen setup but is not accessable when playing disc.Resolutions available 720x480/576p; 1280x720p; 1920x1080i.

Component- Allows 525p-625p according to manual.User cannot select setting.it is done automatically by dvd player according to source.

You must use HDMI or component to get progressive output (upscaling).Also to select progressive a button on unit itself must be pressed (not on remote). This scrolls through auto progressive/video prog & interlaced.

Tried Hdmi-576p/720p/1080i- seemed good, did not notice any video problems like artifacts/ jitter or picture shift.

Component-actual output depended on dvd, LOTR2 gave 576p while Pet sematary gave 480p according to pana plasma.576p picture very good to me( an improvement over interlaced); LOTR2 looked excellent.

There are a number of picture adjustments available with the usual Dynamic 1&2 (yikes), as well as cinema 1&2; standard and user defined.With a quick fiddle with these I found cinema1 and standard to be good.Also available are settings for noise reduction, dnr &bnr as well as sharpness adjustments.

I am mainly going to use the component connection as I only have 1 hdmi connector on my panasonic plasma 42 inch and bought a unit capable of at least feeding progressive into my display.

Also unit is region free, it has region 4 sticker on box but was assured by sale staff that it played all regions.Tried Talking Heads region 2 disc and it played with no dramas.

Overall seems very good with good picture and sound (love that DTS) and will get me by until the smoke clears in the HDDVD-Bluray war and prices of said items reach WAF level. :blink:

Regards Steve

Hello cooksta,

I just bought this DVD player few weeks ago and very happy with the PQ with component output.

I have a Panna TH-50PV60A display, but I can not check of what the actual output is from the DVD that I played.

I pressed info on the TV remote, and all it gives me is what input it is on, the TV aspect, TV pic - Standard and TV Sound - Music.

Please advise on how I can check the resolution of the DVD that I played.

Cheers,

Donald.

Hello cooksta,

I just bought this DVD player few weeks ago and very happy with the PQ with component output.

I have a Panna TH-50PV60A display, but I can not check of what the actual output is from the DVD that I played.

I pressed info on the TV remote, and all it gives me is what input it is on, the TV aspect, TV pic - Standard and TV Sound - Music.

Please advise on how I can check the resolution of the DVD that I played.

Cheers,

Donald.

I have the 500a; if your remote is the same as mine it has a button with a tv shape and a + sign inside it which gives the resolution that is being displayed by the Plasma.

The maximum resolution you can get out of the Sony through component is 576p.You can only upscale the picture to 720p or 1080i by using a hdmi cable to connect the sony dvd player to your TV.

Cheers Cooksta

I have the 500a; if your remote is the same as mine it has a button with a tv shape and a + sign inside it which gives the resolution that is being displayed by the Plasma.

The maximum resolution you can get out of the Sony through component is 576p.You can only upscale the picture to 720p or 1080i by using a hdmi cable to connect the sony dvd player to your TV.

Cheers Cooksta

Thanks for the reply cooksta,

I think I have the same remote as you have, found the tv shape and a + sign inside it, when I pressed it only gave me the tv aspect and what input the tv is on, but no resolution of the dvd playing.

If I watch TV using my Philips 7200 HD STB, when the button is pressed, on top of the TV aspect and the input it also gives me the resolution the STB is giving out.

Is there something that I have to change on the DVD player itself?

Cheers,

Donald.

Thanks for the reply cooksta,

I think I have the same remote as you have, found the tv shape and a + sign inside it, when I pressed it only gave me the tv aspect and what input the tv is on, but no resolution of the dvd playing.

If I watch TV using my Philips 7200 HD STB, when the button is pressed, on top of the TV aspect and the input it also gives me the resolution the STB is giving out.

Is there something that I have to change on the DVD player itself?

Cheers,

Donald.

That's funny, i have this DVD player and the 42" version of your TV. When i hit that button it tells me the resolution. I have mine hooked up via HDMI, so maybe it is to do with what connection you are using.

That's funny, i have this DVD player and the 42" version of your TV. When i hit that button it tells me the resolution. I have mine hooked up via HDMI, so maybe it is to do with what connection you are using.

Hi JimboTHX1138, I also use HDMI and it does give me the resolution of what I actually set on the DVD player, but I also hooked it up using Component output and it doesn't give me the resolution like it does to cooksta on the quote below. :blink:

Hi JimboTHX1138, I also use HDMI and it does give me the resolution of what I actually set on the DVD player, but I also hooked it up using Component output and it doesn't give me the resolution like it does to cooksta on the quote below. :blink:

I think you will find that the progressive scan is not turned on over your component connection. The reason i say this is because it does not display the resolution if the signal is 576i.

I think you will find that the progressive scan is not turned on over your component connection. The reason i say this is because it does not display the resolution if the signal is 576i.

That must be it, thanks heaps, will try it tonight.

Cheers,

Donald.

Hi Guys,

I picked up this DVD player yesterday. Overall picture quality looks very good.

I do however have a question. I've set the output of the player to 16x9 and get full screen via component. However when connected via HDMI I'm getting a 4x3 image on the Plasma and having to press the 'wide' button on the TV to fill the screen. Is there anyway to get a full screen image via HDMI without having to press the 'wide' button on the TV every time I turn the DVD player on?

Regards,

Stephen

Hi Guys,

I picked up this DVD player yesterday. Overall picture quality looks very good.

I do however have a question. I've set the output of the player to 16x9 and get full screen via component. However when connected via HDMI I'm getting a 4x3 image on the Plasma and having to press the 'wide' button on the TV to fill the screen. Is there anyway to get a full screen image via HDMI without having to press the 'wide' button on the TV every time I turn the DVD player on?

Regards,

Stephen

Have you try setting the 4:3 aspect on the DVD player to full?

I set mine to full and have my panna display set to 16:9 and that do the trick.

Cheers,

Donald.

Jimbo, the sony does output 576p over component.If you have the sony connected via component press the progressive button on the front of the sony and the progressive indicator lights up.See pages 17 and 18 of the owners manual. :blink:

Hun, make sure that you have set up the hdmi connection in the setup menu.Page 66 of owners manual, settings for display (screen setup).You can either select auto or choose the resolution that you want the dvd player to upscale to, either 1080i 720p or 480/576p.

It will only upscale above 576p when using hdmi to hdmi connection.Also I have the old model 42pv500a which displays the resolution when I press the button I described.You have a newer model and I dont know if its the same but if you set the resolution of the sony to what you desire then thats what the panasonic will display. :D

Cheers Cooksta

Edit; via component the dvd player will display 480p or 576p; that is when I play imported dvds the resolution on the pana is 480p on others purchased/rented here its 576p.It will not upscale the 480 to 576p.

Jimbo, the sony does output 576p over component.If you have the sony connected via component press the progressive button on the front of the sony and the progressive indicator lights up.See pages 17 and 18 of the owners manual. :blink:

Hun, make sure that you have set up the hdmi connection in the setup menu.Page 66 of owners manual, settings for display (screen setup).You can either select auto or choose the resolution that you want the dvd player to upscale to, either 1080i 720p or 480/576p.

It will only upscale above 576p when using hdmi to hdmi connection.Also I have the old model 42pv500a which displays the resolution when I press the button I described.You have a newer model and I dont know if its the same but if you set the resolution of the sony to what you desire then thats what the panasonic will display. :D

Cheers Cooksta

Edit; via component the dvd player will display 480p or 576p; that is when I play imported dvds the resolution on the pana is 480p on others purchased/rented here its 576p.It will not upscale the 480 to 576p.

I know that the Sony does 576p over Component but if progressive is turned off, the pv60 does not display the 576i resolution. I have mine connected via HDMI but i discovered this when hitting the described button on the TV remote while watching Foxtel. It displays everything except for the resolution. So it's just 576i that is not displayed, all other resolutions are.

I know that the Sony does 576p over Component but if progressive is turned off, the pv60 does not display the 576i resolution. I have mine connected via HDMI but i discovered this when hitting the described button on the TV remote while watching Foxtel. It displays everything except for the resolution. So it's just 576i that is not displayed, all other resolutions are.

Sorry Jimbo misread your post, understand what you meant now. :blink:

Have you try setting the 4:3 aspect on the DVD player to full?

I set mine to full and have my panna display set to 16:9 and that do the trick.

Cheers,

Donald.

Hi Donald, all sorted by using the 'wide' button on the Fujitsu. I only had to press it once, now all HDMI output from the DVP-NS76H is wide screen.

Regards,

Stephen

Hi Donald, all sorted by using the 'wide' button on the Fujitsu. I only had to press it once, now all HDMI output from the DVP-NS76H is wide screen.

Regards,

Stephen

That's good Stephen and I believe you'll find much enjoyment from this great DVD player. :blink:

Regards,

Stephen

Hi Stephen

You feeding this to the PJ as well? any thoughts on PQ compared to the Dennon or Marantz you had?

jim