Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Submariner

Sony Dvpns76h

202 posts in this topic

Managed to pick one of these up today for $150 so pretty happy with that.

Nice score. That's got to be the best price yet.

Enjoy!

After a lot of testing, anyone that has this player teamed with a Panasonic plasma and is using the upscaling feature should probably change the HDMI colourspace in the players setup from YCbCR to RGB for a more accurate conversion from the SD colour matrix to the HD colour matrix.

I encountered the 16:9 xvid issue tonight - the Sony played it back letter-boxed and cropped to 4:3. I tried the same disc out in my old pioneer unit and it played back in 16:9.

Is it just 16:9 xvid that the Sony has a problem with? i.e. I assume 16:9 divx plays back ok?

I'll answer my own question - no it does not play (some) 16:9 divx back either. I re-encoded my xvid file as divx and had the same issue. It must be the resolution of the file that it does not like (720 x 416). I used AutoGK to do the encoding with the standalone (dvd player) compatibility setting enabled.

Well, that sucks. Particularly when my old player appears more capable.

Initial reactions about this player are quite good.

I had the Samsung HD-860 before this one and decided to get this as everyone was saying how good it was, and also the fact that I have a Sony 3lcd TV, I thought why not.

There was nothing wrong with the Samsung but we got it at the right price but wanted to get the Sony and since it became available at the right price it was time to grab one.

I will have to go through and reset the TV as the picture is brighter from this than the Samsung so once I have done that I will report back with my comparison.

Hi I have a question about this model Sony player.

Been reading the posts so far and am pretty up to speed re: video performance

We're looking for a DVD player that will also play CDs (WAV and MP3). The trouble is many dvd players doubling as a CD player have that annoying pause-skip between tracks - especially mixes (e.g. house, chillout etc). Can any of the people who have this unit please advise how it is with audio playback and track skipping?

Lack of SA-CD isn't a problem.

I know it's not a specialty CD player so don't expect perfection, I'm just curious as to how it performs on this front.

thanks

We're looking for a DVD player that will also play CDs (WAV and MP3). The trouble is many dvd players doubling as a CD player have that annoying pause-skip between tracks - especially mixes (e.g. house, chillout etc). Can any of the people who have this unit please advise how it is with audio playback and track skipping?

With normal audio CD's, there is no skip/gap even between overlapping songs. Great as far as that goes.

With MP3 I've noticed large gaps between songs which can be annoying. Maybe it will speed up if I use better quality blank CD's, but have yet to test.

BTW, yes, the 16:9 DivX/Xvid reduced to 4:3 is also annoying.

After a lot of testing, anyone that has this player teamed with a Panasonic plasma and is using the upscaling feature should probably change the HDMI colourspace in the players setup from YCbCR to RGB for a more accurate conversion from the SD colour matrix to the HD colour matrix.

I second that motion it definitely is a better colour on the RGB.

I second that motion it definitely is a better colour on the RGB.

.........mmmm I will give it ago but I thougt the colour matrix recorded on the dvd media was in the YCbCR format.....

.........mmmm I will give it ago but I thougt the colour matrix recorded on the dvd media was in the YCbCR format.....

It is but there is a complicated issue regarding SD colour matrix(rec.601) and HD colour matrix(rec.709). It all depends on the display, but I have done extensive testing on Panasonic plasmas. RGB is definetly preferred for this combination.

The problem is mainly to do with a HDTV applying the HD colour matrix to the upconverted DVD image when it should be using the SD colour matrix as DVDs are SD. Most HDTVs lock into the HD colour matrix when being fed HD resolutions with the user unable to change this. This can cause colour inaccuracies, RGB usually fixes this problem. You can read more about this here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showth...threadid=202183

Here is what it says about the problem in more detail:

Colorspace issues with upconverting DVD players

This is written only for those who are using component video, either analog YPbPr or digital HDMI YCbCr output. If you are using analog RGB, DVI(which is digital RGB)or HDMI RGB output this section does not apply to you! I omitted composite and s-video because of course you cannot output HD video via either.

A DVD is a digital SD source, as such the YCbCr on it was created using the SD 601 equations and should be decoded using the same matrix or color errors will result. Upconverting players should be modifying the colorspace to match the HD 709 coding, but some do not. Most displays will simply apply SD 601 decoding to any SD inputs, and HD 709 decoding to any HD inputs. If an upconverting player left the SD 601 colorspace encode intact, a display that applies HD 709 decoding to any HD inputs will unknowingly apply the wrong decode, leading to color errors. I place the blame with the DVD player.

You can check for this color problem by examining the color decoder test pattern on Avia(found under the section Special Tests: Color Decoder Check). If the player is upconverting to an HD resolution and not twisting the colorspace into 709, you will likely see color decoding errors in the Avia test pattern, with the most significant one being green depression(note that this is not a grayscale error but a color decoding error, and will not depend on you having correct grayscale: you will see this problem on the color decoder check pattern regardless!). To avoid these color decoding errors, your display may allow you to change between 709 and 601 manually. If it does not, using HDMI RGB or DVI RGB (analog RGB is a rarity, but also would avoid this problem) should eliminate this problem. If your only output option is analog component video YPbPr and your display does not have its own upscaling capabilities, then you may have to live with these color errors.

Went and picked up one of these yesterday from Dick Smith Powerhouse in Nunawading. Paid $199 but they have a deal on at the moment which includes a 3m Sony HDMI cable, so not a bad deal considering the cable is probably worth $50.

So far so good, picture is very nice for the price. I'm running it at 1280x720p into my Panasonic AE700 projector.

I'm also getting next to no overscan running it at 1280x720 into my 1280x720 projector which is also a nice benfit (checked via DVE calibration DVD) 576p does give quite a bit of overscan.

Tex.

Got my Sony 76h DVD player back. The power supply module had fried itself and they had to send away for a new one. Not sure why it happened, as I use a UPS to protect the player. Probably just bad luck. Anyway, it is working fine now.

Apologies if this is a stupid question and if it has been covered before. I just purchased a Panasonic 50PX600a plasma so I'm in the market for an upscaling dvd player.

I initially was looking at the Panasonic S-53 model as it obviously has the advantage of using the same remote. Looks like a pretty solid player as well. However, I have just come across this thread and everyone seems to really like the sony model. So now I'm thinking, maybe this is the one for me.

I do have a couple of questions though - the Panasonic specs says it can upscale to 1080p whilst the Sony can only do 720p/1080i. Does this mean that the Panasonic is superior? Also the Pana says it does Progressive Scan whilst the Sony has it on NTSC only.

So what should I go for - the pana or the sony. They are both the same price at the DSE store I was looking at.

I just purchased a Panasonic 50PX600a plasma so I'm in the market for an upscaling dvd player.

AFAIK your Panasonic is not really 1080p (1366x768) The "1080p Digital Processing Chipset, 1080p Digital Re-Mastering Processor" is a bit mis-leading. Possibly, the 1080p Digital Re-Mastering Processor, down scales to 720p from 1080p? 1080p or 1080i is a resolution of 1920 × 1080, while your plasma is 1366x768 and is 720p. Most plasmas on the market are really 720p.

IMO 1080p is being used as a marketing tool by many companies. Buy our 1080p screen and then you need to buy our 1080p DVD player. The plasma will then display that it is running at 1080p, but is it? Reality is some what different to marketing.

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant, directed at the companies. If anyone knows better, please tell me how you get 1080p out of a resolution of 1366x768. You still have a very good display, but I would not let the 1080p market speak stop you from buying a different brand of DVD player.

Sorry i couldn't find this information so can anyone tell me if this has built-in DTS decoding? I'm trying to look for a region free DivX DVD player with built-in DTS decoding that optionally upscales as well.

Edited by Maiku

Sorry i couldn't find this information so can anyone tell me if this has built-in DTS decoding? I'm trying to look for a region free DivX DVD player with built-in DTS decoding that optionally upscales as well.

Nope....the Sony 76H has no inbuilt decoders. It will pass a DTS or Dolby Digital signal via Coax or optical digital out. It only has Left & Right analog outs.

Tex.

Bugger. Do you or anyone else here know of any good players that fit what i need then?Looking to spend at most $200.

Edited by Maiku

Apologies if this is a stupid question and if it has been covered before. I just purchased a Panasonic 50PX600a plasma so I'm in the market for an upscaling dvd player.

So what should I go for - the pana or the sony. They are both the same price at the DSE store I was looking at.

Hi gib_oz,

For what it's worth I have the combination you are speaking of 50px600a and dvpns76h and they both work well together.

I have had both for 4 months and not a problem with either model.

My 2 gripe's about the sony are:

1) When playing MP3's (which is not often) that are in different folders, you cannot just say I want every song on the disc to be played, on shuffle, you have to select the folder that you want played.

This should easily be fixed by copying all mp3's into a single folder (haven't done this yet)

2) Digital camera photos (6MP pentax) that have been copied to a cd/dvd look crap (no other word for it!)

I have to put all my photos into Ulead Video studio, muck around, and then burn as a dvd slideshow then they look GREAT!

For the price, this is a good solid dvd player.

Herbernator.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and have a bunch of questions to follow :blink: firstly i guess PQ stands for picture quality?

I am trying to decide on the best "cheapie" upscaling DVD player to suit my panasonic AX100 projector.

Just bought the panny s53 DVD. Am quite happy with the upscaled image via HDMI, I thought fantastic four looked really nice, great colours and sharp at 720p. I realise some DVD's will look better than others, revenge of sith looked great also but Master & Commander was so so as it showed vertical lines in the darker scenes and a few other issues, i think probably brought on by the noise reduction feature of the player.

Anyway, I've noted all the comments made about the Sony DVPNS76H and am wondering whether I've made the right choice with the panny s53.

I won't be swapping DVD players if the difference will only be slight however, if anyone can safely say I'd get a better picture from the Sony i'd love to hear it. I'd also like you to support your view with substantive facts eg., the main chip in the panny is inferior because....or something like that.

I'm upgrading my Toshiba SD520 which had a nice picture via component but I was looking for better background sharpness with the new player.

Cheers

Hi All,

Have been a guest reader for a while and love your forum.

I have had the Sony for 3 months now and am wondering if anyone knows how to get rid the of the OSD that comes up when using the zoom feature. I only use the zoom when watching DivX files. When zoomed a blue symbol saying "X2" appears and as far as I can see the button for OSD on/off does not get rid of this.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Satellitelite