Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Submariner

Sony Dvpns76h

202 posts in this topic

Here are some screen shots comparing the picture quality of my Sony to that of my xbox: http://www.divinewrite.com/DVD.htm.

I'd be really interested to hear if other users of the Sony are getting better picture quality than this. I haven't entirely ruled out the possibility that I have a bodgy unit...

Also, the guys at the XBMC forum have clarified the matter of differences between boxes. They said there shouldn't really be differences between boxes. It's more differences between the hdtv adapter being used. By this, I assume they mean the AV pack, but they haven't confirmed this.

Cheers.

Here are some screen shots comparing the picture quality of my Sony to that of my xbox: http://www.divinewrite.com/DVD.htm.

I'd be really interested to hear if other users of the Sony are getting better picture quality than this. I haven't entirely ruled out the possibility that I have a bodgy unit...

Also, the guys at the XBMC forum have clarified the matter of differences between boxes. They said there shouldn't really be differences between boxes. It's more differences between the hdtv adapter being used. By this, I assume they mean the AV pack, but they haven't confirmed this.

Cheers.

Drop the sharpening ..... I get a better pic then that on my 50PX600a

I'll post my result when the gear comes in the post, but I think I have reached a Zen place with this problem. My DVD's look great anyway (specially now I've got progressive), so if I don't get upscaling, so what. It's more just the "principle" of it now, making something work that's Sony to Sony.

Exactly, the plasma itself is doing the upscaling, to get from 576p of the player to the resolution of the screen. It is about having paid for an upscaling Sony DVD player and getting it to work on a Sony plasma like other brands of plasma, like my NEC. There is also having a second choice, when it comes to upscaling the picture, the much newer Sony 76h might upscale better than the old Sony plasma. As long as you are happy with the picture, it is all good :blink:

The pause on the Sony is not the best, you will probably find the still pictures do look better with the Xbox. The Sony looks much better when playing, than when paused.

Got to pimp these pictures again :blink:

http://simon.oconnorlamb.com/sonyDVPNS76H_..._upscaling.html

The pause on the Sony is not the best, you will probably find the still pictures do look better with the Xbox. The Sony looks much better when playing, than when paused.

Actually, the playing pic is worse than the pause. I was surprised that the granularity of the pause was as minor as it was. Given how noticeable it is in scenes like the one I captured, I was expecting the still to show more granularity than it does.

Thanks also taksan for your tip on sharpness. I'll try that later tonight.

Note that both the xbox and the Sony are set to output 720p.

Actually, the playing pic is worse than the pause.

That is the opposite of what we get. Maybe there is something wrong with your DVD player or setup?

I've turned sharpness off + BNR off, and this seems to have made quite a difference. On the Matrix scene cited above, the still seem to be comparable to the xbox now. I will qualify this by saying that I was testing while feeding the kids their dinner, so, as you can imagine, I wasn't fully invested in the process!

I'll keep an eye on it over the coming days, but it's looking promising. I think I'm nearly there! (Now I just need a centre speaker, a digital amp, and - if I really spoil myself - 2 new front speakers (so I can relegate my existing JBLs to the rear). Oh and a pvr. And maybe a HD/Blu ray player? :blink: Nearly there...)

Thanks for your help.

My DVD's look great anyway (specially now I've got progressive), so if I don't get upscaling, so what. It's more just the "principle" of it now, making something work that's Sony to Sony.

Yeah, you want to get it to work just for peace of mind. You may want to use it in the future. But if it makes you feel any better i've been watching DVD's at 576p recently, i seem to like the colours better.

Yeah, you want to get it to work just for peace of mind. You may want to use it in the future. But if it makes you feel any better i've been watching DVD's at 576p recently, i seem to like the colours better.

now that's an interesting observation. i wonder if the trade-off for greater resolution is reduced colour depth, or possibly some amount of compression?

Matthew

I picked up one of these beauties today. Knew the prices you guys had been paying so I wasn't going to let any of the big retailers stuff me around. Called up Harvey Norman, they quoted $229, Good Guys didn't have it in stock, Rick Hart had one in the entire state (which fortunately was in the store down the road from me), and they quoted $229.

So i told them that they weren't going to sell it for that, and that they would give it to me for closer to $170. I was told, "Can't do it, $229 is cost price" (Bull! As if they'd list something at cost price)! I informed them that I had seen it at $170 elsewhere and was told "Oh... well then if you can get it in writing then we will do it."

Got a couple of online retailers that did it for $176, printed out the pages, and went into the store (Rick Hart, Claremont). The guy who originally served me, Darko, argued with me that they would not match it and that they don't match prices off eBay (and completely ignored me when I told him that this was NOT a price off eBay). Eventually he calls Craig, the manager, over. Craig immediately says they'll match it, but tells me to be weary of those online dealers, as Sony usually won't honour the warrantie. So i get it for $176 :blink:

As I'm walking out with it, I hear Craig call Darko over and give him a talking to for the way he dealt with me. Good on ya, Craig!

I'm very happy with this player. Picked up an HDMI cable from DSE (damn HDMI cables are pricey!), and it looks great! I did notice animations like Futurama don't seem to upscale quite so well through the DVP though.

I picked up one of these beauties today. Knew the prices you guys had been paying so I wasn't going to let any of the big retailers stuff me around. Called up Harvey Norman, they quoted $229, Good Guys didn't have it in stock, Rick Hart had one in the entire state (which fortunately was in the store down the road from me), and they quoted $229.

So i told them that they weren't going to sell it for that, and that they would give it to me for closer to $170. I was told, "Can't do it, $229 is cost price" (Bull! As if they'd list something at cost price)! I informed them that I had seen it at $170 elsewhere and was told "Oh... well then if you can get it in writing then we will do it."

Got a couple of online retailers that did it for $176, printed out the pages, and went into the store (Rick Hart, Claremont). The guy who originally served me, Darko, argued with me that they would not match it and that they don't match prices off eBay (and completely ignored me when I told him that this was NOT a price off eBay). Eventually he calls Craig, the manager, over. Craig immediately says they'll match it, but tells me to be weary of those online dealers, as Sony usually won't honour the warrantie. So i get it for $176 :blink:

As I'm walking out with it, I hear Craig call Darko over and give him a talking to for the way he dealt with me. Good on ya, Craig!

I'm very happy with this player. Picked up an HDMI cable from DSE (damn HDMI cables are pricey!), and it looks great! I did notice animations like Futurama don't seem to upscale quite so well through the DVP though.

Good price mate. I got mine for $198 from the Sony store in Southport, which is about what I would have paid online including freight. needless to say I havn't told my wife I've just blown another $100 on HDMI and a DVI-D adapter in the hope that it "might" send an upscaled picture to my panel....

mp

Good price mate. I got mine for $198 from the Sony store in Southport, which is about what I would have paid online including freight. needless to say I havn't told my wife I've just blown another $100 on HDMI and a DVI-D adapter in the hope that it "might" send an upscaled picture to my panel....

mp

Just been following up on this thread now and then; it was actually this thread that got me to buy this particular model since I was looking for a reasonable DVD player with upscalling and DivX support (Got it from DSE Supa Centre Alexandria for $180). Pleased with it so far, however I'm curious about the HD upscaling part. I have a 30" BenQ LCD with a DVI input at the back, and I hooked up the player through a HDMI-DVI cable. From goldy's post above, won't I be receiving an upscaled picture if it's not a direct HDMI-HDMI linkup? Must I purchase a DVI-D adapter to get an upscaled performance?

The blue HDMI link light is up however, and I have my picture setup to 720p (TV does not support 1080i I believe, but I do notice a sharper picture compared to the standar 575p). Appreciate any comments.

now that's an interesting observation. i wonder if the trade-off for greater resolution is reduced colour depth, or possibly some amount of compression?

Matthew

Most HDTVs won't let you change between the SD and HD colour matrix's when recieving an HD signal, that's why some good upscaling players like the Sony will convert the picture to HD colour matrix on the upscale. However IMO the colours not as good, but can depend on the display and DVD your watching. It can be very hard to see the difference in the colour but on something like SW Ep.III which has some really complex colours it becomes more obvious. I have tested a few upscaling DVD players, some have had really poor colour and some have had compression artifacts at times. The Sony is defenitely one of the best upscaling players in this regard.

You have to use whatever resolution you like the look of best or which best suits the display. I have a Panasonic plasma which has a 1080p processor and remastering chip, so i'm quite happy sending a 576p signal and letting the display do the rest.

From goldy's post above, won't I be receiving an upscaled picture if it's not a direct HDMI-HDMI linkup? Must I purchase a DVI-D adapter to get an upscaled performance?

The blue HDMI link light is up however, and I have my picture setup to 720p (TV does not support 1080i I believe, but I do notice a sharper picture compared to the standar 575p). Appreciate any comments.

Your getting an upscaled picture. If the blue light is on and you have it set to 720p and are getting a picture then it is working. Enjoy.

Your getting an upscaled picture. If the blue light is on and you have it set to 720p and are getting a picture then it is working. Enjoy.

not sure if that's entirely true, at least in my case.

My DVP blue light is on (confirming the use of the HDMI port), and the output is set on 720p forced, however my panel (by pressing the Display button) says the signal being received is 576p.

so I guess that raises a second possibility in my case... that perhaps the upscaled HD picture is being received and displayed, but incorrectly reported by the panel.

sushi, check your panel's remote and see if you can make it display what sort of signal it's receiving. I'm sure it'll be fine, I just seem to have a problem case.

Matthew

Thanks jimbo

not sure if that's entirely true, at least in my case.

My DVP blue light is on (confirming the use of the HDMI port), and the output is set on 720p forced, however my panel (by pressing the Display button) says the signal being received is 576p.

so I guess that raises a second possibility in my case... that perhaps the upscaled HD picture is being received and displayed, but incorrectly reported by the panel.

sushi, check your panel's remote and see if you can make it display what sort of signal it's receiving. I'm sure it'll be fine, I just seem to have a problem case.

Matthew

Sure Matthew, I'm at work at the moment but I will take a look when I get home. As far as I recall, I'm pretty sure it displayed it as 720p as well (Some other characters after 720p, can't recall exactly)

For anyone who's interested in the Sony v xbox upscaling comparison, I've updated the pics at http://www.divinewrite.com/DVD.htm. Now compares:

Sony with Sharpness ON v Sony with Sharpness OFF v xbox

As you'll see, the Sony with Sharpness OFF is easily as good as the xbox in edge definition (probably better) and the colours are much richer.

In other words, it appears I was wrong before when I declared the xbox better than the Sony. Sorry. The Sony seems to have the upper hand. (At least, it's looking that way at the moment. I'll keep my eye on it in other movies, but I doubt things will change.)

And I recall very few times when I was happier to be wrong!!!

(And in case you're wondering why I had Sharpness ON in the first place, it's because I was fiddling with everything to try and get some decent pic quality from my ex-LG plasma.)

I think i will invest in one of these,ever since i bought my 70inchsxrd and ps3 and watching blu-ray,i am finding it hard to watch normal dvd!

We have about 550 dvds so i dont really want to stop watching them :blink: we watch them on a sony dvd recorder on prog scan,which was fine with our 57inch tosh but we find the picture quality is not really there now,so this might be the way to go,just hard to beleive they can be that good for the price?

cheers,peep.

I was equally sceptical, but I'm beginning to believe. (No Matrix pun intended!) On my 50" it delivers brilliant images (after I figured out that the out-of-the-box setting shouldn't be played with).

I think i will invest in one of these,ever since i bought my 70inchsxrd and ps3 and watching blu-ray,i am finding it hard to watch normal dvd!

I guess the PS3 never got DVD upscaling? They were talking about it, at the end of last year, but I have not seen any more news:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/30/ps3-to-...-1080p-24-sacd/

It will be hard to go back to DVD viewing, even upscaled DVD is no match for a good high definition picture. In French, but it is the pictures that are interesting:

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=Se...e&artid=707