Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Submariner

Sony Dvpns76h

202 posts in this topic

I purchaed the DVPNS76H yesterday and I've come across a strange problem. I'll re-state my email to sony support below, in case anyone has had a similar problem or has even found a work-around or a solution:

"I recently purchased the above product (76H) to use with my PFM42X1N. I also own a SVRHD-700. On installing the player, I found that I cannot get my display to accept the 1280x720 UPSCALED picture. It keeps defaulting to 576p on the display. I rang the Sony support line and the technician explained that, because my panel was 1024x768, it could not display the upscaled picture of 1280x720. At first this made sense, but then I later realised my SVRHD700 outputs a 1280x720p signal (which the display acknowledges and happily displays). I'm wondering if there is a workaround that would allow my panel to happily accept the 1280x720 signal from the player? to my mind, the problem seems to be with the player, given that the panel happily accepts the 1280x720 signal from the SVRHD700 device.

in other words, the SVR seems to compensate for the fact my vertical resolution is only 1024, whereas for the dvd player, this is a deal-breaker and it defaults to the lowest resolution displayable (576p).

FYI, I have tested both devices on both available outputs (component and HDMI) with exactly the same result."

I'm totally stumped. It seems like the DVD player and the panel are having a brief conversation where the DVD player says "what resolution are you?" and the panel responds with "I'm 1024x768", and the DVD says to itself "that not enough, so I'll send the 576p signal". On the contrary, the SVRHD700 just sends the 1280x720p signal and the panel happily scales and displays it.

any ideas??

Matthew

divinewrite:

I have compard it to XBMC, XBOX 360, PS2 and my PC Media Centre with upscaling software....and like I said...clearest picture I've ever seen from a DVD.

uhf 2: 2 channel analog out, optical and coaxial digital out

Hi again NaTez,

I asked a couple of questions at the Xbox Media Center forum (http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/forum/showthread.php?p=132113#post132113), and, according to one of the XBMC developers, picture quality from the xbox can vary depending on the actual xbox unit you have. I don't know the details, but he said it comes down to the video encoder of the box.

This might explain why I'm getting such fantastic results from the xbox, and you're not...???

Also, one of the other developers suggested you might not have upscaling running, but it sounds to me like you probably do.

Cheers.

I'm totally stumped. It seems like the DVD player and the panel are having a brief conversation where the DVD player says "what resolution are you?" and the panel responds with "I'm 1024x768", and the DVD says to itself "that not enough, so I'll send the 576p signal". On the contrary, the SVRHD700 just sends the 1280x720p signal and the panel happily scales and displays it.
Not much help, but I have an old 42" NEC plasma (DVI connection with HDCP) display with the same resolution as your display and the Sony 76h happily sends out all resolutions, 576p, 720p and 1080i. The NEC also reports that it is getting them from the player. The Sony tech is partially right, we lose some of the picture, but the upscaling should compensate for the differences, as you found out with the SVRHD700.

BTW Most DVD players will not upscale Component, only HDMI upscales.

I purchaed the DVPNS76H yesterday and I've come across a strange problem. I'll re-state my email to sony support below, in case anyone has had a similar problem or has even found a work-around or a solution:

"I recently purchased the above product (76H) to use with my PFM42X1N. I also own a SVRHD-700. On installing the player, I found that I cannot get my display to accept the 1280x720 UPSCALED picture. It keeps defaulting to 576p on the display. I rang the Sony support line and the technician explained that, because my panel was 1024x768, it could not display the upscaled picture of 1280x720. At first this made sense, but then I later realised my SVRHD700 outputs a 1280x720p signal (which the display acknowledges and happily displays). I'm wondering if there is a workaround that would allow my panel to happily accept the 1280x720 signal from the player? to my mind, the problem seems to be with the player, given that the panel happily accepts the 1280x720 signal from the SVRHD700 device.

in other words, the SVR seems to compensate for the fact my vertical resolution is only 1024, whereas for the dvd player, this is a deal-breaker and it defaults to the lowest resolution displayable (576p).

FYI, I have tested both devices on both available outputs (component and HDMI) with exactly the same result."

any ideas??

Matthew

First point is the DVPNS76H will not send a upscaled picture via anything other then HDMI so the maximum you can get via component is in fact 576p.

I have a Panasonic 42PX600a which is 1024x768 with a DVPNS76H hooked up to it and it displays a 1280x720p signal no problems.

I'd suggest trying to switch to 1080i output via HDMI and see what your panel says.

It sounds like a HDMI issue with your display panel.

First point is the DVPNS76H will not send a upscaled picture via anything other then HDMI so the maximum you can get via component is in fact 576p.

I have a Panasonic 42PX600a which is 1024x768 with a DVPNS76H hooked up to it and it displays a 1280x720p signal no problems.

I'd suggest trying to switch to 1080i output via HDMI and see what your panel says.

It sounds like a HDMI issue with your display panel.

thanks guys, I'm really heartened by the fact that this player can obviously get a signal to a 1024x768 panel.

strange that the SVR gets a 1280x760 signal along the HDMI cable to the panel no problem, but something goes wrong in my setup when I swap the cables and use the HDMI cable with the player. the panel has no "HDMI in" (so I'm using a HDMI - DVI converter cable)... could that be an issue? are there "different flavours" of this type of cable??

any chance the PFM42X1 has a "service menu" invoked from the remote that I could take a peek at?

thanks for your efforts in helping me narrow this down!!

matt

Hi again NaTez,

I asked a couple of questions at the Xbox Media Center forum (http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/forum/showthread.php?p=132113#post132113), and, according to one of the XBMC developers, picture quality from the xbox can vary depending on the actual xbox unit you have. I don't know the details, but he said it comes down to the video encoder of the box.

This might explain why I'm getting such fantastic results from the xbox, and you're not...???

Also, one of the other developers suggested you might not have upscaling running, but it sounds to me like you probably do.

Cheers.

Hi divinewrite

definately have the upscaling feature running. I also never said anything about not getting fantastic results frm the XBOX, it's much better than any stand alone players I have run, although the upscaling feature I run on XP MCE is very very close on par with DVI - HDMI out...but the sony just slams all over it.....

i own an xbox that was manufactured March 06. I only bought the xbox for XBMC (i was a PS guy until I played the 360 and compared it to a PS3 my mate brought back from the US and fell in love with the extreme detail the 360 puts out for gaming - the DVD player aint all that flash though but I didn't buy it for that reason)

Hope this helps..

the panel has no "HDMI in" (so I'm using a HDMI - DVI converter cable)... could that be an issue?

matt

Yep thats your issue ..... it will not work in upscaled mode through a DVI converter you need a true HDMI input.

Did you test 1080i? ....I think you will find its the same result.

the panel has no "HDMI in" (so I'm using a HDMI - DVI converter cable)... could that be an issue?

matt

That's probably what the problem is. The HDMI - DVI converter. Video signals sent via DVI and HDMI have a type of copy protection called HDCP. Not all DVI equipped TV's support HDCP. So that is probably what's happening. Unfortunately you may also have a problem playing Blu-ray and HD-DVDs if your TV does not support HDCP.

I'm using a HDMI - DVI converter cable... could that be an issue? are there "different flavours" of this type of cable??

any chance the PFM42X1 has a "service menu" invoked from the remote that I could take a peek at?

I am using a DVI-HDMI silver plated cable from Kordz:

http://www.htcustomcables.com/specials.htm

They are on special at the moment, very good deal for DVI-HDMI cables. $50 for a 3m cable. Good cables, but probably will not fix your problem, as your cable works with the SVRHD700.

Are you changing the resolution in the Sony DVD player's Screen Setup menu, or leaving it on auto?

I have an NEC with DVI input that supports HDCP and it upscales fine. The Sony screen goldy68 has is similiar, it has DVI input that supports HDCP. Of course, HDCP is not always 100% compatible with old screens, but you would think that it would not be a problem between a Sony screen and a Sony DVD player. If it is the problem, Sony really screwed up somewhere.

The only other difference could be if goldy68 is using a poor quality DVI adaptor on a HDMI to HDMI cale or a straight through DVI to HDMI cable like me.

I am using a DVI-HDMI silver plated cable from Kordz:

http://www.htcustomcables.com/specials.htm

They are on special at the moment, very good deal for DVI-HDMI cables. $50 for a 3m cable. Good cables, but probably will not fix your problem, as your cable works with the SVRHD700.

Are you changing the resolution in the Sony DVD player's Screen Setup menu, or leaving it on auto?

I've tried Auto, forcing to 1080i and forcing to 720p, same result all round.

If the SVR can send a 1280x720 signal to the panel via the HDMI - DVI cable, how is the DVD signal different that causes it to fail?

also, the user manual confirms that the DVI input is HDCP compliant.

the cable is the pre-made variety with a HDMI plug on one end and a DVI plug on the other, not a HDMI cable with an adaptor box.

If I later buy a HDMI receiver and pass all the HDMI connections through it, will my troubles be solved??

thanks again!

Matthew

Edited by goldy68

You could try contacting Sony again, see if you get a different answer. If you get the same answer, you could let them know the DVD player upscales correctly on an NEC PX42XM3W 42" Plasma TV that has a 1024x768 resolution, DVI input (HDCP) and also about the SVRHD700. Maybe ask Sony if you should buy an NEC screen to get it to work :blink: Considering all the products are Sony, you would think Sony would do more for a loyal customer.

Has anyone got this one running happily on a Sony KDL-32V2000 Bravia panel? I'm fairly sure it will work beautifully, but just checking if there are any known issues before I drop some cash on it!

I've tried Auto, forcing to 1080i and forcing to 720p, same result all round.

If the SVR can send a 1280x720 signal to the panel via the HDMI - DVI cable, how is the DVD signal different that causes it to fail?

the cable is the pre-made variety with a HDMI plug on one end and a DVI plug on the other, not a HDMI cable with an adaptor box.

If I later buy a HDMI receiver and pass all the HDMI connections through it, will my troubles be solved??

thanks again!

Matthew

In the manual it says that if your using a DVI converter you can only use 'RGB' colour signals. In the setup menu there is an option located directly under 'HDMI RESOLUTION' which says 'YCbCr/RGB (HDMI)'. Try forcing it to RGB.

In the manual it says that if your using a DVI converter you can only use 'RGB' colour signals. In the setup menu there is an option located directly under 'HDMI RESOLUTION' which says 'YCbCr/RGB (HDMI)'. Try forcing it to RGB.

Tried that setting and alas no luck.

I have a call lodged with a Sony repair agency who has contact with Sony techs. I'll post the result.

My next test is the cable. I'm not sure if there's such a thing as a non-HDCP compliant cable, but I'm going to borrow a known compliant one and try that! I'm wondering if the SVR HDMI port is pushing a signal which is simply greater in magnitude (just like some USB ports are more powerful than others) and the DVD signal push is failing because of the quality of my cable. Fingers crossed!

Again, thanks for your suggestions and help!

Matthew

Tried that setting and alas no luck.

I have a call lodged with a Sony repair agency who has contact with Sony techs. I'll post the result.

My next test is the cable.

Matthew

I think you will find that the cable will fix your problem as HDMI is all about the handshake between the components and if this is amiss so will the signal be.

My next test is the cable. I'm not sure if there's such a thing as a non-HDCP compliant cable

AFAIK Kordz are the only ones fully certified. I use one of their DVI-HDMI cables.

All models are HDMI™ Certified

We sell only KORDZ® HDMI products, and Kordz Pty Ltd are currently the ONLY interconnect brand in the world who are listed as official HDMI Adopters with HDMI Licensing, LLC (USA). For more information, please visit www.hdmi.com

Matthew

The DVD signal is different because DVD's send HDCP protected signals and your SVR does not.

This is clearly a HDCP issue as the effect of not having a secure connection is to cause HD content to default to SD.

The DVI input on the TV panel might be HDCP compliant or it might not be as thats a pretty old model pre-HDMI TV and perhaps its not complaint with the current HDCP standards.

But I'd say the issue thats most likely is the cable and/or adapter not supporting HDCP.

Either thing would cause the exact problem you are experiencing.

If Sony have stuffed up the HDCP compatibility on the plasma, they might have a firmware update for the plasma. It is old and they might try and give you the run around. Hopefully the cable is the problem, but I have a feeling it is not going to be the easy solution.

If Sony have stuffed up the HDCP compatibility on the plasma, they might have a firmware update for the plasma. It is old and they might try and give you the run around. Hopefully the cable is the problem, but I have a feeling it is not going to be the easy solution.

OK, I've ordered a HDMI lead with a SINGLE HDMI - DVD-D adapter (I crawled behind the telly and pulled the lead I have there now... it has all it's pins so it must be a double) so we'll see how that goes (I saw a post on a US site saying some people had experienced problems connecting a DVD player to a panel with a double).

I'll post my result when the gear comes in the post, but I think I have reached a Zen place with this problem. My DVD's look great anyway (specially now I've got progressive), so if I don't get upscaling, so what. It's more just the "principle" of it now, making something work that's Sony to Sony.

I'll ring Sony today and ask what the latest Firmware version is. At least if I've got the latest, I'll put that to bed.

Thanks again.

Matthew