Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Submariner

Sony Dvpns76h

202 posts in this topic

But does not support 16:9 playback of Xvid :blink:

I have run this dvd player on a 4:3 and 16:9 television. On the 4:3 television the aspect ratio is automatically aligned to the television. On the 16:9 display there is an aspect ratio button with the options 4:3, 16:9 or panorama and if i select 16:9 then the aspect ratio of divx playback is correct.

Any suggestions on where I can pick up one of these close to Melbourne CBD? HN are out of stock and JB don't have this model.

Otherwise I guess I'll go for the Philips 5965k from HN.

I have run this dvd player on a 4:3 and 16:9 television. On the 4:3 television the aspect ratio is automatically aligned to the television. On the 16:9 display there is an aspect ratio button with the options 4:3, 16:9 or panorama and if i select 16:9 then the aspect ratio of divx playback is correct.

What button is that one on the remote? I am having big problems with widescreen DivX on my TV.

Have just ordered one of these units from JB for $190. Just wondering if anyone has had any trouble playing any disks yet, or will it play just about everything you can throw at it?

Select full in the DVD player menu, try the TV input menu, or zoom button, I have no trouble with any aspect ratio video, RTFM...

Its good to see that some people have had a perfect Sony experience with this DVD player.

Yesterday I returned my 2 month old unit to DJs as the unit had died after about 4 uses. None of the buttons on the unit would work and the unit would only turn on sometimes using the remote control.

I returned it to DJs as Sony wants to repair the unit (not replace it) and wanted me to drive to their Roseberry repair centre which is no where near where I live or work. Now I have a 4 week wait (suggested minimum) for the unit to be returned.

After spending well over $5000 in one transaction for a Sony TV and DVD I am not happy with DJ's or Sony's repair-only stance.

my parents got one of these

it seems good for dvd playing

but it only plays xvid files with the subtitles in .srt format

so if you play xvid/divx files, then the subtitle support is quite 'picky'

I've been wondering why the progressive light is still activated at 1080i. Does anyone know why this is? Could it be we are actually watching 1080p rather than 1080i?

Bought one of these yesterday from JB Hifi Chatswood for $160. Great player - really didn't expect the upscaling to make such a huge difference. Have it connected via HDMI to a KDL46X2000.

Still can't fathom how cheap this thing is considering what it is capable of...

Submariner, I cannot download this file.

Can you tell me how to download it.

Herbernator.

When the site come up, there is a column which has the heading "Free" at the top and a button with "Free" at the bottom. Click the "Free" button and it will go to a page with a timer, wait for the timer to coundown to zero. You will then go to another page with download sites. Leave it on the default site, unless there are problems with the default site, don't change it. Type the letters/numbers into the "here:" box and then press the Return key and it will start downloading.

Service Menu:

In standby mode, press [TOP MENU], [CLEAR], [POWER]
Need to press them in sequence, not at the same time.

Probably not a good idea to check out all the options in the Service Menu, until you read the Service Manual and learn what the options do.

I bought one of the first Sonys to get to Australia. My version, using Service Menu is:

Model Name: DPX-2080_EC

IF-con: Ver. 1.001(9103)

Syscon: Ver. 1.020

4. on menu

Firmware Main: Ver. 1.020

Firmware Sub: 00.HL

When the site come up, there is a column which has the heading "Free" at the top and a button with "Free" at the bottom. Click the "Free" button and it will go to a page with a timer, wait for the timer to coundown to zero. You will then go to another page with download sites. Leave it on the default site, unless there are problems with the default site, don't change it. Type the letters/numbers into the "here:" box and then press the Return key and it will start downloading.

Thanks, the trouble was my downloader was getting in the way. Once disabled, the file downloaded perfectly.

Herbernator.

Bought one of these yesterday from JB Hifi Chatswood for $160. Great player

Do you mind giving me a copy of the reciept? Try as I might I could only get the sales person to go down to $187 :blink:

Do you mind giving me a copy of the reciept? Try as I might I could only get the sales person to go down to $187 :blink:

DSE Powerhouse Nth Paramatta, two days ago, walked in with copy of "poo's" post, salesman matched the price ($160) without hesitation and without even checking on his computer.

I went to DSE and HN and they wouldn't budge from their 'sale' price of 190. Took me 15min of talking and pleading and DSE went down $3.

Do you mind sending me a copy of the reciept?

The Secrets Bencmark tests for this player are in, it's listed as DVPNS75H as that's the American version. They gave it a score of 85 which is very good. They say it's the best progressive scan player they've tested from Sony regardless of price.

http:\\www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133

The Secrets Bencmark tests for this player are in, it's listed as DVPNS75H as that's the American version. They gave it a score of 85 which is very good. They say it's the best progressive scan player they've tested from Sony regardless of price.

http:\\www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=133

Excellent to see that... I used that site when I was shopping around and was dissapointed to not see it in there. Great score and review.

The American version is different in that it does not have DivX playback (ha ha :blink: ) and is region locked.

So, we get the same superb quality plus DivX playback to boot... hurrah!

Excellent to see that... I used that site when I was shopping around and was dissapointed to not see it in there. Great score and review.

The American version is different in that it does not have DivX playback (ha ha :D ) and is region locked.

So, we get the same superb quality plus DivX playback to boot... hurrah!

I have been very happy with my sony, it will do until the bluray hddvd war sorts iself out. :blink: