Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
keygar

Teac Lcd Brilliant

586 posts in this topic

Any more news ?

I was out north ryde way yesterday but could not find the 42" anywhere. Only 32

I keep seeing JBs Sonic 40" at <$2,000 and wonder if the TEAD 42 is really a good deal at >3$. I tend to think that its overpriced for what it is. Considering Aldi has broken $1.5K for a 37", then the 40-42 sector should be 2-2.5K at best.

I keep seeing JBs Sonic 40" at <$2,000 and wonder if the TEAD 42 is really a good deal at >3$. I tend to think that its overpriced for what it is. Considering Aldi has broken $1.5K for a 37", then the 40-42 sector should be 2-2.5K at best.

IMO when it comes to LCD panels, once you drop too far at a certain price point, you get what you pay for.

IMO when it comes to LCD panels, once you drop too far at a certain price point, you get what you pay for.

I totally agree. Thats why this chinese kockoff with a taiwanese panel should not be 3K when a known korean made samsung 40" with the latest CCFL 92% backlight, better PQ (but lower resolution) is also 3K......

chinese 40-42" should be 2-2.5K

I totally agree. Thats why this chinese kockoff with a taiwanese panel should not be 3K when a known korean made samsung 40" with the latest CCFL 92% backlight, better PQ (but lower resolution) is also 3K......

chinese 40-42" should be 2-2.5K

Now I see where you're coming from, point well made - I totally agree.

Well, I've had time to unpack and set up the LCD4235A to my laptop via VGA. With this setup Im unable to get 1:1 pixel matching but I know that from the start. Im no expert on LCD TV's but to me the thing looks fantastic! HDTV looks great, fast moving scenes look sharp, bright bits are, well... really bright, and blacks appear very black.

Optimal resolution using ATI Catalyst drivers via VGA (ie without powerstrip) appears to be 1280 x 960 (go figure). Im looking forward to connecting via HDMI this week.

I had some friends around last night who also own various large screen TVs and, without going into detail, they seemed to be very impressed with the PQ. I know I certainly am.

There might be better LCD's coming out in the near future - I'm not really too fussed though. I'm quite happy surfing the net at < 1M from the TV with crystal clear images and text. Not to mention the promise of true 1080p/60 very soon.

I have some pics I can upload if anyone wants to see em. Just need to transfer them from my phone first.

Encouraging to hear Andy, look forward to hearing how HDMI goes.

I think that for now at least it would still be extremely good value for money. I've seen nothing but trash from Soniq panels and wouldn't personally lump them in the same category as these Teacs, but then if they're both Chinese-manufactured maybe they're more similar than they let on. For close to $3000 this one sounds too good to be true, although it is a slight downer that it doesn't come with HD tuner in-built.

I would like to think these TEACs will come down further. I just saw the 40" Pyrod in kmart. Not a bad picture for $1999........ 1366x768 though. This pyrod kicks the Sonics butt however!

Yes I agree. I was looking at the Pyrod last week too and thought the picture was good. Research showed the LCD was Samsung "glass". However, I then spent the week speaking to friends "in the know" and doing online research and realised how important and rare it was to find a TV that could do 1080p/60 and native pixel matching and display good picture... So I was prepeared to pay more for all these things. That being said, yes it's still a TEAC... But I can live with that.

Re price: I would expect price will drop over time as competition increases and the teac model ages. Typical product sales cycle kind'o stuff.

Yes I agree. I was looking at the Pyrod last week too and thought the picture was good. Research showed the LCD was Samsung "glass". However, I then spent the week speaking to friends "in the know" and doing online research and realised how important and rare it was to find a TV that could do 1080p/60 and native pixel matching and display good picture... So I was prepeared to pay more for all these things. That being said, yes it's still a TEAC... But I can live with that.

Oh I agree. Mind you the new Sony V at $3.8K looks pretty appealing. Also the Sony 40" X will be stunning ($4700 however).

I reckon this TEAC will be below 2.5K by Xmas. I would also expect to see other 42" HD sets turn up now (come on AWA!). Some brand names. Seems like this Xmas will be the one that 40-42" LCD sales outstrip Plasma for the first time :blink:

I wonder when we will see some HD 46 & 47" lcds out here in the bargain end?

I spoke yesterday with the NSW sales rep for Teac, and he said that there are four of the 42 inch 1080p LCDs at Ingleburn Retravision. He said he will call me back with details of other retail outlets that have them closer to the city.

Apparently there were 100 nationally in the first shipment, with another batch due in 2-3 weeks.

For those in Sydney, if you want to get a look at one of the 42 inch 1920x1080 screens, I understand they have them on display at these locations (may also be at other stores)

- Retravision Ingleburn

- JB HiFi Liverpool Westfield

- Betta Electrical, O'Connell St Sydney City

I had a quick look at Betta Electrical today, and thought it looked great. - very impressive PQ, despite being fed via composite. Can't wait to see how it looks when driven by 1920x1080 content at 1:1 mapping via HDMI, but don't have the kit to test it properly.

Anyone had a chance to test one of these out yet?

I reckon you could pick up one of these for around $2900 with the right bargaining.

For those in Sydney, if you want to get a look at one of the 42 inch 1920x1080 screens, I understand they have them on display at these locations (may also be at other stores)

- Retravision Ingleburn

- JB HiFi Liverpool Westfield

- Betta Electrical, O'Connell St Sydney City

I had a quick look at Betta Electrical today, and thought it looked great. - very impressive PQ, despite being fed via composite. Can't wait to see how it looks when driven by 1920x1080 content at 1:1 mapping via HDMI, but don't have the kit to test it properly.

Anyone had a chance to test one of these out yet?

I reckon you could pick up one of these for around $2900 with the right bargaining.

Hi Jocko. I bought one on the Weekend and am extremely happy with it. I am yet to confirm 1080p60 via HDMI yet as I am waiting on my new HTPC to arrive (today or tomorrow). At this point, I just cant recommend the TV highly enough.

Andy

Hi Jocko. I bought one on the Weekend and am extremely happy with it. I am yet to confirm 1080p60 via HDMI yet as I am waiting on my new HTPC to arrive (today or tomorrow). At this point, I just cant recommend the TV highly enough.

Andy

How much did ya get it for mate?

How much did ya get it for mate?

$3150. I didn't really haggle much though. Im quite sure I could have got it for around $3050 or so if I could have been bothered.

3 Year warranty looks good

Yes, I neglected to mention that I got the 3 year warranty too. Thanks for the reminder as that could be important to some people trying to make a purchasing decision.

Andy

Yes, I neglected to mention that I got the 3 year warranty too. Thanks for the reminder as that could be important to some people trying to make a purchasing decision.

Andy

Doesn't this TV come with a 3 year warranty? Thats what it says on their site anyway.

tonight I popped into betta electrical in the city (sydney) just down near circular quay to see this set. He is driving a row of large LCD/Plasma screens at 1080i from a dedicated hard disk device (ie perfect slow moving demos to make LCD look good).

I must admit the LCD was every bit as good as any other brand on display. Very sharp/clear colours vibrant,. whites pure. The blacks were typical average LCD and a slight purple tint on the screen when you go hard off angle- this reminded me of LPL panels (LG/Phillips). The wife thought the TV looked much bigger than 42" (she has seen plenty of plasmas etc at that size). I explained it was the surround pumping up the size appearance. She felt it was too big (doh!). it did have a 50" plasma appearance to it size wise.

later .......

Myer in the city said another month and a half b4 the Sony X turns up. Im keen to compare this as I feel the missus is OK with a thin bezeled 40" but not a fat bexeled 42" ! (and i need 1080 for the HTPC). To kill time I compared the latest pioneer 42" HD plasma on display to a 40" Samsung R series. The samsung totally Killed the pio for blacks. No question about it. Maybe the pio needed calibration? The samsung killed the TEAC in blacks also IMOP.

Guys, a further update.

The set TEAC are selling is the std model. It has a CR of 1000:1, 176 viewing angle, 8ms and the standard 72% gamut backlight as shown here on AMIOs international website: LC42T1 series-

http://www.amoi.com/product/products_detai...cifications.asp

however on the AMOI website in china is a new model LC-42HWT3P

http://www.amoi.com.cn/html/products_detai...%C3%B2%FA%C6%B7

The specs are CR of 5000:1 (dynamic backlight), 800 nits brightness, and 178 on viewing angles. also an extensive chroma is listed. this might be a 92% gamut backlight like the sony V series

I wonder if we can convince TEAC to bring in the better one for xmas :?

$3150. I didn't really haggle much though. Im quite sure I could have got it for around $3050 or so if I could have been bothered.

WOW you got the Teac lcd4235a for 3150!? JB (perth) quoted my $3496 maybe I should push them more. Im confused, what quality of backlight does the TEAC have?, from my understanding cheaper brands are using the same LCD but poorer quality backlit???. I've hurriedly read the forum coz Im in a bit of a rush to order a tv in time for a party this week. I saw a SONIQ 42 inch for 2100 but Im assuming it is far poorer quality.

WOW you got the Teac lcd4235a for 3150!? JB (perth) quoted my $3496 maybe I should push them more. Im confused, what quality of backlight does the TEAC have?, from my understanding cheaper brands are using the same LCD but poorer quality backlit???. I've hurriedly read the forum coz Im in a bit of a rush to order a tv in time for a party this week. I saw a SONIQ 42 inch for 2100 but Im assuming it is far poorer quality.

Ive also been told that the TEAC 42 is actually 6.5MS not 8 as in their promo?