Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
keygar

Teac Lcd Brilliant

586 posts in this topic

well less than 2 months after purchase my 4235A seems to have developed a major fault. I was happily playing Zelda on Wii a few hours ago when the screen flicked off. It turned itself back on again a few seconds later and the game was still running. Checked around the house and no sign of anything else being affected as far as electricity goes. Turned the set off, checked all the plugs etc and then turned it back on and there's now a high-pitched electrical noise on start-up that slowly dissipates after about 10 seconds, then the set will continually switch itself off and on after that at 15-20 second intervals.

I thought maybe it was an overheating issue so left it for a few hours, unplugged everything connected to the TV and used a different wall socket (it is usually plugged into a surge protection board, which everything else seems to work fine off still), but still the buzzing sound is there, and even worse it seems. Fantastic. Happens on a Sat as well and Teac won't answer the phone till Monday morning. I really hope I don't get stuffed around with a repair/replacement for this. I've already had a problem trying to get something done about the screen/sticker mark issue.

sorry to bump this again. just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the best route to go from here? It all comes down to what Teac tell me in the morning, but I've got a bad feeling that if I deal with them it is going to be a long wait, ie they'll get someone to come look at it (which would probably take a week or longer) then they'd take the set away for repairs for god knows how long. If they go for a replacement straight away that'd be great, but I guess that might be hoping for too much.

Would it be a better idea to try sort something out with my retailer? I've already talked with him earlier before xmas about the screen mark problem (which he was very helpful with as he called Teac or spoke to his rep and tried get them to do something about it) but haven't informed them of this new major fault. The guy has been great to deal with thus far and I'm sure I would probably be able to swap for another Teac in this instance but the problem is this model is discontinued of course. I suppose I could swap for another model if it was allowed, I don't want a refund.

Any input as to what you'd do if you were in my shoes is appreciated! As mentioned earlier in case it was missed the unit is only 6 or 7 weeks old. It'd be different if many months or a year had gone by I suppose and I'd have no choice but to go through the Teac repair process

Any input as to what you'd do if you were in my shoes is appreciated! As mentioned earlier in case it was missed the unit is only 6 or 7 weeks old. It'd be different if many months or a year had gone by I suppose and I'd have no choice but to go through the Teac repair process

In relation to the unit I purchased, I returned it to the store much sooner (within 2 weeks). 6 or 7 weeks after purchase, I'm not sure what obligations the store has (if any) in relation to the fault with your unit, but I do offer the following general advice.

With the unit I had, I noticed a fault (the HDMI fault) straight away. After dicussions with TEAC and the store from where I purchased the unit, I decided to return the unit and arranged this with the store, but this was within 2 weeks of purchase. In any case it won't hurt to ask the store. Store credit may be an option for you if you have your eyes on another unit and they offer you a good price in exchange.

With a little luck, the tech may be able to repair the unit onsite. If not, I too would be reluctant to hand the set over for repairs unless the TEAC service agent identifies the fault, knows what replacement part is required, it's availablity in your area and a firm date as to when the set will be returned to you and that it's not too long. Anything less than that and I would be insisting on a replacement unit. It comes with a 3 year warranty after all.

Some info on consumer rights can be found at http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry507120

thats sucks about your set :blink: mines sweltered through indoor temperatures of about 35 celcuis the past week or so without a hitch - so fingers crossed. Give the store a call first - its worth an unlikely shot. Let us know what TEAC say. It will be interesting to see if they fix or replace, although i'm tipping they'd fix it - especially if these sets are discontinued like some have rumoured?

Watching HD DVD on mine has been sensational - still stoked about it.

thanks for the input guys. Hopefully it turns out ok. 6-7 weeks is probably too long but there is the fact that I already had the screen mark damage there that I've been trying to get resolved from the beginning, the retailer knows that and has been great with trying to help me. That was something minor though and Teac were treating it almost like it was a cosmetic problem and that's probably why nothing has been done. The fact that it's basically unusable now is a different story.

Will try Teac first in the morning and hopefully they can sort something fast. I really don't want to go without it for weeks if they take it away, which they more than likely would. If it sounds like it is going to be a drawn-out process then I'll call the retailer and see what options I have. Thanks again for your input.

well not going too great so far. Retailer won't take it back for a swap for another model, which I kind of understand since they explained it'd be hard to chase Teac up for a credit now that it has been 6 weeks. Looks like I'm at the mercy of the repair shop. Been told by Teac to contact the same outsourced company that I've been given the runaround by concerning the screen damage earlier, which isn't instilling me with much confidence.

Have to wait a week until they'll come out to even take a look at it, then repairs could be several weeks more if they need to take it away. I'm wanting to call Teac to see if anything else can be done because I believe a full replacement is in order, but haven't even been able to get back through to their service department on the phone for hours. I'm getting the feeling I'll be without the TV for several weeks then get it returned and still the original screen damage will be there.

right before the Aussie Open was about to start too :blink:

well not going too great so far. Retailer won't take it back for a swap for another model, which I kind of understand since they explained it'd be hard to chase Teac up for a credit now that it has been 6 weeks. Looks like I'm at the mercy of the repair shop. Been told by Teac to contact the same outsourced company that I've been given the runaround by concerning the screen damage earlier, which isn't instilling me with much confidence.

TEAC may now outsource their repairs, but this was not my experience with faults I had with a TEAC CRT a few years ago or the 42" LCD that I recently purchased and then returned.

Are you discussing the issue with TEAC through a TEAC state headquarters (if you have one), or through some form of national faults centre ?

The dealings I have with TEAC in relation to warranty and repair was through their own state headquarters here in Perth and they have always provided their own techs rather than referring me to a third party repairer.

If you can, contact your TEAC state headquarters and get someone from TEAC to look at the unit.

what State are you in?

I'm in VIC mate, in Nunawading

I have tried calling Teac head office again before 5pm today but I just keep getting put through to the Service Dept and given the usual instructions - ie call the outsourced company they'll take care of it. I would much prefer someone who is actually from Teac and has experience with the units to look at it, this other company had never ever seen this TV before the first time they came to my place way back on Dec 1st. A Teac customer service person told me on the phone to write a letter(email) to management at [email protected] - but I get the feeling that might just be ignored.

Will keep posting updates and until then thanks for your suggestions and thoughts guys. This really sucks but hopefully it'll be resolved without too much hassle, at the moment though it is looking like it is going to be a long process.

well less than 2 months after purchase my 4235A seems to have developed a major fault. I was happily playing Zelda on Wii a few hours ago when the screen flicked off. It turned itself back on again a few seconds later and the game was still running. Checked around the house and no sign of anything else being affected as far as electricity goes. Turned the set off, checked all the plugs etc and then turned it back on and there's now a high-pitched electrical noise on start-up that slowly dissipates after about 10 seconds, then the set will continually switch itself off and on after that at 15-20 second intervals.

Just for the record, a friend of mine purchased this same set, has had it since September. It developed the same fault as yours and it was diagnosed at the mainboard and fixed on-site using a replacement spare part. Unfortunatley, it only lasted 3 weeks and the problem has risen again. Teac's policy is they don't regard their product to be a lemon( for a replacement) unless it fails with the same fault twice within a given time period. Here's hoping this crap LCD fails again after it is fixed the second time hopefully with the same fault!

So your mate got a replacement after the second failure?

You're hoping strange_one's panel fails again? nice.

Just for the record, a friend of mine purchased this same set, has had it since September. It developed the same fault as yours and it was diagnosed at the mainboard and fixed on-site using a replacement spare part. Unfortunatley, it only lasted 3 weeks and the problem has risen again. Teac's policy is they don't regard their product to be a lemon( for a replacement) unless it fails with the same fault twice within a given time period. Here's hoping this crap LCD fails again after it is fixed the second time hopefully with the same fault!

I'll ignore part of these comments but thanks for the info, the fact that it was fixed on-site gives me some hope. So your friend has had the same fault twice and they were willing to replace, or has he not had it fixed the second time yet?

Just for the record, a friend of mine purchased this same set, has had it since September. It developed the same fault as yours and it was diagnosed at the mainboard and fixed on-site using a replacement spare part. Unfortunatley, it only lasted 3 weeks and the problem has risen again.

Was this fixed by a TEAC tech or by a third party warranty provider ?

Teac's policy is they don't regard their product to be a lemon( for a replacement) unless it fails with the same fault twice within a given time period. Here's hoping this crap LCD fails again after it is fixed the second time hopefully with the same fault!

I had a similar experience with a TEAC CRT I purchased several years ago.

I had the same component on the TV burn out three times resulting in a frame collapse. It was first repaired be an external repairer and then twice by TEAC.

I was advised by TEAC that if this component failed again the unit would be replaced. As luck would have it, I changed the picture mode from mild to normal and the unit has been fine ever since.

Teac here in Adelaide use a third party company called TCS. They are the same people that were employed by Teac when they had an office in Adelaide. The replaced component needs to fail twice to consitute a lemon and a replacement set to be offered. The original part supplied with the TV from the factory is not included here. The replaced part must fail "twice", in other words, two service calls to fix the same component, and if that component fails again, a replacement or credit (organised with the supplier) will be forwarded to the owner. Hope that makes sense.

having no luck today I'm afraid after wasting too much time on the phone. Corporate HQ just keep putting me through to the National Customer Service call centre, no matter what I say or how I try to phrase it, they refuse to let me talk to anyone in corporate that might help me. It's a merry-go-round and I keep getting told to call the outsourced company who have been less than helpful so far.

This is getting ridiculous. At the moment the best I have is a rough appointment time next week for an outsourced tech to come look at it. That's still a week away and I'm sure they'll just end up taking the TV for several weeks into their shop because they'll have no idea what this fault is. Why on earth can't Teac provide their own techs?