Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koops

Topfield 5000 PVRT Links-Minifaq

222 posts in this topic

Ps do you know if the Beyonwiz will have TAPs or is capable of TAPs in the future with firmware upgrades?
On of your TAPs has hardware hacks and can't do the hack on this firmware. Boot up with no TAPs to confirm. Then start each manually to find which - Either TSR Commander or Display TAP I suspect.

The BW is meant to have BAPs at some point. BW are currently trying to bed down the 'vanilla' features/bugs before they release an API for them. Its very unlikely they'll be compatible with Toppy TAPs but the more popular ones may be ported over. Note its also possible BAPs are never realised so don't buy a BW on this expectation alone.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Is the 2 tuner feature used much by those with these units ? This seems to be its only main advantage over the much cheaper Strong SRT-5390 pvr.

G'Day.

Like many others on this site, I regularly record 2 channels. I start both Ch 7 & 9 recording at 6pm so I can watch the news / current affairs on both.

What I'd really like is for the DEFAULT recording time to be what I want it to be (i.e. 6 hours instead of 2). I don't know how many times I've missed the end of a show after 8pm !!! (My fault of course).

I also have a DGTEC HiDef STB plugged into an analog PVR/DVR so I can record stuff off the HD channels as well (important now that the channels are transmitting different shows on HD to SD). Ch 10 has BattleStar Galactica on Thurs nights - but only on HD. BTW, the default recording time on this PVR is 12 hours - very handy being able to hit one button to record & forget about it.

That's my 2c worth...

Regards, Greg.

G'Day.

Like many others on this site, I regularly record 2 channels. I start both Ch 7 & 9 recording at 6pm so I can watch the news / current affairs on both.

What I'd really like is for the DEFAULT recording time to be what I want it to be (i.e. 6 hours instead of 2). I don't know how many times I've missed the end of a show after 8pm !!! (My fault of course).

I agree and another thing I would like would be the ability for the unit to highlight the last program I have watched or partially watched. It always goes to the end of the list.

Another thing, the ability to delete multiple recordings.

I would never considering having anything but a twin tuner and the Toppy is the best I have had. Prior to this I had a DigiCrystal 9070P and the Toppy's firmware is light years ahead of DC. There is simply no comparison as the TF just does what it is supposed to do and beautifully :)

Edited by hallycat

Tonight, on my TV the picture won't show up as it is in black screen.

The reason is that I accidentally set the signals through the toppy remote control and the signal got stuffed up resulting in a black signal - the message said "TV Signals Systems had differences from recording settings". :wacko: I am stuck with it!! The Toppy is connected to the video via a yellow composite labelled VIDEO at the top and it goes to the input jacks behind Pioneer DVR-630H -S DVD Recorder.

I have tried everything from tuning to power off the toppy with out success.

Can you please advise how can I overcome this as I have no idea how to do! Any links or suggestions would be helpful!! Thank you!!

UPDATE: Just a note to say that I have resolved by simply moving around these component inputs from DVD to TV so I can get into the Toppy's picture and then go into the menu settings - the settings is now corrected back into PAL under AV settings and set video output to S-Video for the time beign till I woprk out this weekend to put everything back into order between DVD, TV and 5000 PVRt

Edited by welldone

Not quite sure what you're referring to by 'servers' but I'd say the answer is probably no to what you want to do. Maybe you want to set up an external caddie (See the AQA)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I have just bought a Silver Topfield 5000 and was wondering if there are any awesome TAPs I must get? All similar posts seem out-dated - like from 2004. So if you have any good TAP experiences, please share them, I would much appreciate it.

(Or if anyone could point me in the right direction of a good thread - also appreciated)

Thanks

Good thread by blip. MOst of the better TAPs have been around a while so feel free to dabble based on 'old' recommendations. Also www.tapworld.net has a ranking system of popularity so that might help. However be aware that a lot of the TAPs are based on English Toppy's and not relevant to Oz Toppy's.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Howdy guys

Thought I might pick a few brains of the expert 5000pvr owners.

I have a 5000pvr with icetv and the latest model iMac. I have always updated my icetv via the mac by directly plugging into the computers usb port. Recently I set up an airport extreme at home and have been trying to update my ice guide via the usb on the airport which sits under the plasma. So far no luck, the mac wont find the pvr when plugged into the airport but as soon as I plug the pvr directly into the mac no worries! Would be awesome not to have to unplug the trusty toppy all the time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Cheers
The USB in the 5000 is a slave plug. This means it has no 'inteligence'. It requires whatever you plug into it to handle all the recognition etc. The PC has a driver to do this but just about any other device won't know what a 'Toppy' is. You need and intermediatory box to handle the conversation. Have a look at the AQA FAQ as it details a bunch of connectivity options (easiest to my mind is the NSLU2) but some recent comments:

http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/phpbb...pic.php?t=11885

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hey all,

I've been having a problem with my 5000,

All has been great until last month, and it has been slowly getting worse.

Recordings are stopping as you are watching them then dropping back to normal DTV.

You can sometimes skip over the place where it dropped off and continue watching, but sometimes you can't even start a recorded program.

Even if you can skip over the patch, it doesn't guarantee it won't stop again later in the same recording.

Some recordings are not affected.

Is there a bad sector on the HD? if there was I would think you wouldn't be able to watch any programs.

I have loaded the latest firmware from itopfield dated 28-03-2008,

and have PBK and ICE loaded (although don't use ICE),

It's almost like a vinyl record, where you can place the stylus after a big scratch and all is good.

Very, very annoying, can anyone shine some light,

Cheers

Its possible the harddrive is failing but more likely its a few capacitors that commonly fail on the SD Toppy's after several years. Do a search for 'capacitor' on the www.topfield-australia.com.au forum. Its a $5 fix if you're ok with a soldering iron.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Ok, I've crawled through the feature lists and snooped around for previous discussions to no avail so can someone summarise the reasons why I'd get a TF5000PVRT Masterpiece as opposed to a standard TF5000PVRT

thanks,

Tafster

Nicer VFD display (instead of 4x7 segment LED), nicer unit footprint (full rack width rather than 3/4), different remote codes (so you can run a 7x00 HD PVR without clashing), crappy remote though, and a slightly different looking GUI. If I had the choice, I would have got an MP over a stock 5K if it was only a few dollars more, but only for a slightly more standard looking home theatre unit, not really for anything else.

I guess the remote is not an issue as most people who have receiver/amps, TVs, Topfields, etc will have a decent universal/programmable remote anyway.

While the stock 5K remote looks ugly at first, it is actually very functional with good button layout, where as the MP remote has little rectangular buttons not very thoughtfully arranged on the remote.

The MP typically has a bigger HDD than the standard 5K, but 80% of people would be putting 250-750G IDE drives in anyway these days as 120-160G is just not enough to store your faves up, so the bigger HDD isn't really worth the extra $ unless it is bigger than 250G, which I don't believe Topfield provided units came with.

Regards

Ok, I've crawled through the feature lists and snooped around for previous discussions to no avail so can someone summarise the reasons why I'd get a TF5000PVRT Masterpiece as opposed to a standard TF5000PVRT
Have a read of the pinned AQA thread - it details most of the differences between the models. In functional terms the MP is pretty much the same as the 5000 (ie you aren't missing any features). Basically comes down to the looks, the remote (I much prefer the 5000 one as its more ergonomic), the harddrive space (many users wack in a 500Gb drive themselves anyway) as compared to the price difference.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Q1. I think the cam slots allow for the possibility of terrestrial but encrypted signals to be decoded on the box and is probably a hang over from the sat version.

Q2. I don't think it would be possible for a future firmware upgrade to include the ability for tunable bitrates. The reason would be that in doing this would require the ability for the stb to re-encode the stream at a lower bitrate. Doing this on the fly would most likely involve a specific encoding chip as I doubt the current one would include this ability judging from similar chips from Sigma Designs. What would be nice would be if the player could automatically encode to customisable mpeg-4 videos but this would need totally different hardware to begin with.

Sorry to hi-jack a thread, but I have a question on the Toppy 5000MP - lovely machine, still gets lots of use despite accompanying a BW DP-P1 box now. Anyway, I connect to the TV via scart-component cable, as thoughtfully provided by Topfield. Since there is a second scart socket I use it to connect to my DVD recorder (Panasonic) previously via a scart-composite/audio cable. Deciding I would get better quality recordings if I used a scart-s-video/audio connector (am I thinking correctly here?), I splashed out. The results were disappointing, so.....

Does the video scart socket output s-video by default, since I have bought a scart -

s-video/audio cable but I am only able to get a monochrome picture from it

(and a poor one at that with interference lines on it.) I normally connect

to the TV with the scart-component cable and that works well with a great

picture. I want to connect to my (Panasonic) DVD recorder, though, and I can

using a scart-composite video cable, but not with the scart-s-video cable. Why, dammit? :wacko:

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

The VCR-SCART connector is for exactly that, hooking to a VCR, so it only supports composite. Your best bet is to switch the Toppy to svideo and then you can have svideo out both the socket on the back, and the TV-SCART connector (you can use one of those $10 in/out SCART adapters that has composite, svid and audio on the adapter, and switch it to "out"). This is the only way of getting 2 quality signals out the box at the same time (without resorting to TAPS to allow you to switch quickly between, say, component and svideo, which is another possibility for you. When you switch to svideo, your TV connected via component will lose the image, but you can watch it via the DVD recorder on your TV).

Regards

Hi all,

I have a Toppy MP and has been a reliable machine over the past year or so but has now this morning just decided to not receive a signal from the antenna. I can get normal TV through the antenna (also as a pass through) so I know it's not the antenna that is at fault. The toppy signal strength indicator is now way down on the left side of the spectrum when normally it would by a 5x5 signal all the way up on the right for all channels. Is it the tuner that has gone? If so who repairs these units nowadays?

It still plays what recordings I have on the HDD but I've also noticed it takes a while for the sound to come back after ff through ads. Is this a sign it is on it's way out totally? Should I now invest in more throwaway electronics like a TiVo?

Opinions accepted please!

PS it is a vanilla machine (ie no TAPs) but has device version v25.2.69 firmware.

David.