Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koops

Topfield 5000 PVRT Links-Minifaq

222 posts in this topic

Deangelj & Fossil:

I tried registering in the Topfield forum some time ago. Got to the part where they said I would receive a confirmation email to finalise the registration, but realised my anti spam filter would reject it as an unknown sender. I  entered an email address ([email protected])which I took to be the one I would receive this email from, but as yet no response. An email to the same address has been unsuccessful to date.. Anyone able to help here.

I tried registering using a different Username, as I have only one email address I was not able to register still..("email address is already used" message). It seems they have all my details but that's about all. Is there a timeout period where all those details will erase and I can try again??

Any assistance from any members would be appreciated.

Have you emailed the administrator at [email protected]?

cheers,

John

Yep, but there has been no reply. Might try them again...

BTW I got sufficient info from what you guys supplied to give me what I needed to know for the time being....I have no immediate plans to upgrade, 120G seems to be plenty for now as we watch and delete....Thanks for the replies.

hi...the Toppy forum is well worth joining...and you can do that with a free yahoo mail account..just choose an email id that is unique and away you go...Yahoo spam filtering is now very good..

foss

Deangelj & Fossil:

I tried registering in the Topfield forum some time ago. Got to the part where they said I would receive a confirmation email to finalise the registration, but realised my anti spam filter would reject it as an unknown sender. I  entered an email address ([email protected])which I took to be the one I would receive this email from, but as yet no response. An email to the same address has been unsuccessful to date.. Anyone able to help here.

I tried registering using a different Username, as I have only one email address I was not able to register still..("email address is already used" message). It seems they have all my details but that's about all. Is there a timeout period where all those details will erase and I can try again??

Any assistance from any members would be appreciated.

cheers,

John

Yep, but there has been no reply. Might try them again...

BTW I got sufficient info from what you guys supplied to give me what I needed to know for the time being....I have no immediate plans to upgrade, 120G seems to be plenty for now as we watch and delete....Thanks for the replies.

Just wanted to say Hello to everyone on this forum and to thank you all for having this FAQ available! :blink:

As a new Toppy owner, this and the Topfield forums have been invaluable to me to learn at high speed about what to expect and issues I might encounter.

I've already updated my firmware to Dec revision and installed some taps thanks to Tony and Andy - v. useful!

I really appreciate all your efforts and detailed replies - thanks and keep up the great work!

Cheers, DMan.

Having set timer recording and then wishing to start viewing prior to end of recording period, can you start viewing from the start of the recorded service without actually viewing the live service? This can be particularly disconcerting if recording the footy and suddenly seeing the current score before you get a chance to go to the start.

you download it [tap] READ the manual /text file that comes with the tap

I think you can find a link from Tony's web page

transfer from your pc to the toppie via Altair to [in this case] the ProgramFiles\Auto Start directory [ if you don't have one, right click in the left window of Altair once you have changed to ProgramFiles directory and chose

New Folder name it Auto Start [ the capitals and space have to be right ]

Thanks Tony.

This is all a bit new to me. How does one go about running a TAP?

Can I please ask, with the duel tv tuners does that mean i can record 1 SD program and watch another SD program, or is the "extra" tuner a Analog tuner?

Can I please ask, with the duel tv tuners does that mean i can record 1 SD program and watch another SD program, or is the "extra" tuner a Analog tuner?

Both tuners are SD. It is a purely digital PVR, no analog imput.

You can actually record 2 SD programs and watch a third live SD program, assuming the channel is on the same Mux. (eg. recording channel 9 and 2, while watching live ABC 2)

cheers,

John

It looks like some things never change. I have been trying for 3 months to join the Topfield forum.

Am getting no useful response from the Administrator. It looks like they don't want people to join their Forum they make it so difficult.

I registered, but when I tried to log on it refused to accept the password. I then tried to re-register and it won't let me because I am already registered.

I registered, but when I tried to log on it refused to accept the password. I then tried to re-register and it won't let me because I am already registered.
Make up a hotmail account, get an account and ditch it. The website is overseen by some outside company which apparently doesn't pay much attention to it.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

GoodEvening Gentlemen.

Still new to the forum, I am looking for a PVR and debating between a $550 Mediastar920 and a $700 Topfield 5000PVRt...

I would love to owe a well respected Toppy, but there are a few things I need to consider, not just price difference.

Among other things, I have a couple of questions on connections and signal issues; have read through the FAQ and AQA but did not seem to find answers... so if some good soul wouldn't mind helping out, I would be very grateful!!

First my humble toys:

- LG Lafinion70W 100Hz Widescreen CRT with 2 component (YPbPr) inputs (plus composite and S-Video).

- Samsung European VCR with 2 SCART connectors (one in and one out)

- El cheapo DVD MPEG4 capable player with 1 component output; I can only get the DVD to work on "Progressive Scan", so I cannot use the lovely 100Hz feature of the TV set :blink:

Questions:

1. Is the TV-SCART output on the Toppy an RGB only or also YUV? In the manual, under settings both modes are listed; in the specs page only RGB is indicated... I have a feeling the LG does not like one the two standards and need to make sure before I dish out 700 bucks!!

2. If I connect the DVD player to the Toppy's VCR-SCART (directly or with the VCR via a multiSCART adapter) would I possible solve the 100Hz issue by modifying the Toppy's TV-SCART settings?!?

Ahh... almost forgot: is the Topfield HDD interface still the very old ATA33 or is it now ATA66 as is for the MediaStar?

Thank y'all!

Cheers!

Marki

Hi MM,

Congrats on an picking an Avitar so suited to the tone of your enquiry :blink: First up if you're looking at getting a PVR then have a read here as well:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=36191

From the AQA there's no issue with ATA 'modes' - the toppy will plug into ATA100/133/166 drives quite happily.

I believe the Toppy is also only 50Hz. This isn't a huge issue in practice. IMO the 100 v 50 Hz feature came just before TVs started truely revolutionising. That's to say, it was probably a large part marketting gimmick rather than genuine enhancement. Regarless, PQ is fine, although you will probably get some slight flicker on OSD menus from the Toppy (watching TV is not effected - I also have a 100Hz WS CRT)

I believe the Toppy does YUV over SCART. Best bet is to ring Topfield direct. Regardless, if buying digital stuff just make your specific concerns known to the sales guy. In general they're happy to say take it, try it out and if it doesn't do what you've asked about bring it back.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hi MM,

Congrats on an picking an Avitar so suited to the tone of your enquiry :blink:

Thanks, Peter, I am indeed as curious as a meerkat can be... but still try to be polite and respectful...

From the AQA there's no issue with ATA 'modes' - the toppy will plug into ATA100/133/166 drives quite happily.

Ok, the fact is that thinking of a potential disk upgrade, all drives currently on the market are either ATA100/133 (PATA) or 150 and 300 (aka SATA and SATA2).

It was just curiosity on my part (being a meerkat), as to the Toppy's actual interface, whether the hardware is geared to accept faster tranfer rate on ATA66 (as in the MediaStar920PVR) or still using the very old and slow ATA33.

I am confident the disk inside the Toppy is a brand new Samsung/Maxtor/WD sporting at least ATA100 (if not more likely 133); but the HDD will slow down to match the max I/O speed of the motherboard. I know the first Toppy's were strictly ATA33 and someone had submitted a request to Topfield if they were going to upgrade to 66, but no answer was given. I was just thinking that at ATA66 you might actually get faster response from the Toppy's FF and other disk functions...

I believe the Toppy is also only 50Hz. This isn't a huge issue in practice. IMO the 100 v 50 Hz feature came just before TVs started truely revolutionising. That's to say, it was probably a large part marketting gimmick rather than genuine enhancement. Regarless, PQ is fine, although you will probably get some slight flicker on OSD menus from the Toppy (watching TV is not effected - I also have a 100Hz WS CRT)

That's good then, as I believe the TV's 100Hz "upscaling" gimmick is only accomplished if the source signal is 50Hz: the TV will then simply double it to have the 100Hz image... At 60Hz that does not occur and I fear that's what I am getting from the DVD (TV does not run it at 100Hz)

I believe the Toppy does YUV over SCART. Best bet is to ring Topfield direct.

Thanks, I shall call and ask them directly, but in the meantime I through a quick quesiton to Tassy Devil for good measure.

Well, thanks for the prompt reply and the good advice, I feel a Topfield 5000PVRt coming my way tomorrow... we'll see you again soon on these pages!!

Thanks and goodevening!

MM

G'day Peter Gillespie:

I am using my mate Philips HD STB at the moment wz my fujitsu 42' SD plasma, the PQ is much better then the SD STB i was using B4 plus I been picking up some CH9/10 HD demo CH which a SD STB cannot, how ever I would really like to pick up a Topfield PVR, would I still pick up those CH and PQ like my Philips STB or i will have to loss those? Plus i just find a tag price of $633 in HN for a Back one, is this a good deal?

Thank you so much for reading this and hope you or anyone other expert can reply me....

Cheers

PC747 :blink:

I am confident the disk inside the Toppy is a brand new Samsung/Maxtor/WD sporting at least ATA100 (if not more likely 133); but the HDD will slow down to match the max I/O speed of the motherboard.
Good point, however its also somewhat of a moot one. PVR demands on the harddrive (and ATA speed) are not enourmous. The units handle recording 2 things and playing something else silmultaneously without a hickup. Topfield could increase the ATA rating (and possibly have) but there would be no discernable change in the units actual performance.

The FF speed etc is not directly related to the ATA speed. Its just one of the few 'sucky' aspects of a Toppy. You should be throwing the PBK TAP on in any case and that should get round that issue.

Well, thanks for the prompt reply and the good advice, I feel a Topfield 5000PVRt coming my way tomorrow... we'll see you again soon on these pages!!
Enjoy, they are great fun. :blink:

Regards

Peter Gillespie

I am using my mate Philips HD STB at the moment wz my fujitsu 42' SD plasma

Hi PC747,

The Toppy is a SD PVR so yes you will lose all those channels. While $633 is a very good price for a Toppy I would suggest spending a bit ($300-$500) more and getting HD PVR. Have a read of this thread for lots of links and comments (ignore the SD stuff):

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=36191&hl=

Peter Gillespie

PS Actually just re-reading and you mention a SD Plasma. I'm quite surprised the PQ is all that much enhanced from using a HD over SD box. Its usually only a 10%-20% improvement (if that). However some people find it quite noticable so maybe that's you. You're other option might be to keep the HD STB for live viewing and get the Toppy for recording.

Its possible the STB you had before wasn't brilliant (or possibly you are using different cables to connect the STB to the TV - this seems likely and has a much larger effect on PQ in your situation) what are (and were your connection types)? and what model TV do you have?

Regards

Peter Gillespie