Sign in to follow this  
Koops

Topfield 5000 PVRT Links-Minifaq

Great work yet again.

When are you guys going to write a TAP that allows me to set my STB schedule from work as I've forgotten before I left home.

:blink:

Well done guys.

Hopefully a quick n' easy one :blink:

No luck with user manual or site search,

Can you have the clock displayed while the unit is on?

(like it comes up when you turn it off)

Cheers

P.S. lovin the unit! so much to learn.

Sorry if this question sounds stupid or has been asked before

When i do the firmware upgrade does the latest one have all the patches from previous upgrades?

Yes it does.

The firmware is a complete image of the operating system. Think of it as a reinstall rather than a patch.

Yep, as far as we can tell, each upgrade is a full firmware replacement, so doing the upgrade in steps is not necessary. We can only hope that the Topfield programmers remembered to keep the fixes in each new firmware release ;-)

Regards

Hopefully a quick n' easy one  :blink:

Cheers

It can only be displayed on screen - Press the Info key

wow ... what a machine, and the ability to code our own "TAPS" and use others leave the competition for dead.

Two questions

1. While acknowledging the usefullness of twin tuners (TF 5000), has anyone thought about the possibilities of 1 x Satellite tuner and 1 x Terrestial tuner - in the same unit ? i.e. one of each ? Then you would have a choice of free to air terrestial and also satellite broadcasts. Has anyone looked inside their toppy 5000 and seen if the tuners can be swapped in / swapped out ? I have emailed toppy aust. about this but as yet unanswered.

2. How far are people doing their USB cable runs (from PC to Toppy). Any limits? I would need 10-15 meters (computer room to lounge room)

SC...someone will give you the technical reasons...but suffice it to say that this box can only handle digital Terrestrial signal...Satellite signal is different, both in its format and how it is decoded...

So... No, both can't be done at the same time...and Foxtel in their wisdom have made it impossible if you are referring to Pay TV...If you refer to free satellite, then you would need the satellite version...TF5500pvr

One of the Major assets of this box is the 2 tuners...which ads tremendous flexibility and in fact I have 2 boxes and the resulting 4 tuners is just about right... ..........a single tuner occupied by recording/watching is the pits, and having a single tuner recording and one watching is also very limiting

As far as USB cable length goes, it seems that 8 meters is about the limit of the Toppies USB2 speed length without some type of powered extender...some members have done that successfully(Toppy USB2 speed is not the full speed, but many hardware items vary in how fast the USB2 speed goes for various reasons) .

One member, PeterU, has worked out how to do Ethernet transfer....this is not easy to do because you would consider the Toppy as being a peripheral, the same as a small digital camera with no operating program ....Peter says this can be done wirelessly as well...we are anxiously waiting for a description and pics...it could help many members, and would not void the warrantee...I use a removable drive system which is very flexible and fast, but that is not for everyone and it voids the warrantee...

I have written a fair bit in both forums about my exploits with the Toppy and there are many many excellent topics and posts done by other members...if you cared to read the reams of posts that have been made on the Toppy, the answers to every question you have is here and on the other forum.

Its nice to see an enthusiastic first post, and all of your questions are answered already...if you can't find the answer ask and someone will answer...

foss

Thanks Foss. Well answered.

I'm still hoping Toppy makes a combined Sat./Terr. twin tuner next year.

I'll do a search and have a look at your removeable drive system - This sounds like the way I will go. ie. pull out HDD when full, replace with another empty Hdd and burn to DVD anyhthing you want to keep.

Yep...that sort of sums it up, however Alex's program will allow you to transfer from Toppy drive to toppy drive at the PC if you have 2 caddies set up and will also allow transfer from Toppy drive to the PC and PC to the toppy drive...The Toppy to Toppy transfer allows the consolidation of archives...Of course you can do last night program just by removing the drive with data and placing another drive in its place...both machines need to be turned off before removing or replacing drives.

In fact you can run the Toppy as a STB without a drive,...It works very well.

As far as a Sat and Terrest combined version goes...I dont think so...in fact it just won't happen...there is no requirement apart from 0.01% of the population...hardly a reason to spend multiple dollars developing it

foss

Hopefully a quick n' easy one  :blink:

Cheers

It can only be displayed on screen - Press the Info key

I have succesfully used 3 * 5 meter extender cables plugged into a powered USB2 mini hub plus a normal USB 2 cable for a total length of about 20meters

Extender cables I used are http://www.comsol.com.au/prodmore.asp?id=U...etail.asp?l1=25

Okay, I thought I was just going to carry the PVR to the computer room?

Not a good idea?

Will I want PC permanently cabled, or would I just run cable through middle of house when I want to do a transfer?

(I haven't yet bought my STB/PVR, nor moved into house where I'm going to. Just trying to get a head start.)

Could somebody please provide advice for a newbie on my proposed setup?

My tv has an SCART RGB connection. I understand that I’ll need to buy a SCART to SCART cable. Is there anything I need to know about choosing such a cable? What should I expect to pay?

I intend hooking the SPDIF connection up to my amplifier which has a 5.1 decoder.

I’ve read in this forum that SD isn’t transmitted with 5.1 sound. Is this likely to change? Do I have any options here?

For saving a movie longer-term, would I use my S-VHS VCR, or copy to PC and burn a DVD? (Note: I’d have to borrow my brothers PC with USB 2 port and DVD burner.)

To use VCR, would I simply leave it connected to PVR’s S-Video and L/R audio? I’m unclear as to how this works. Does this allow taping both direct from tuner as well as from stored files?

I presume that I’ll get better results from burning DVDs, though it would obviously be more work. Would it only be practical to do this for stuff I want to keep permanently?

I understand that there are PVRs with built in DVD burners. Is that a better option, or is it only saving one step of transferring from PVR to PC?

Well, I’ve got my list of suppliers around Brisbane. Time to start shopping!

Okay, I thought I was just going to carry the PVR to the computer room?

Not a good idea?

Will I want PC permanently cabled, or would I just run cable through middle of house when I want to do a transfer?

(I haven't yet bought my STB/PVR, nor moved into house where I'm going to. Just trying to get a head start.)

I just connect the extender cables when I need it . I could probably run the cable through the roof but will see what hasppens :blink:

I don't know whether this has been asked, couldn't find anything with a search.

I am recent proud purchaser of a 5000PVRt with a 120G HDD and have seen some vague references to upgrading the HDD.

I am at present quite happy with what I have, but would probably anticipate upsizing at some stage, so to the question: Could we have some tips and tricks and maybe a list of HDDs(Brand, type and model no.) which are compatible and will just plug in....???

I don't know whether this has been asked, couldn't find anything with a search.

I am recent proud purchaser of a 5000PVRt with a 120G HDD and have seen some vague references to upgrading the HDD.

I am at present quite happy with what I have, but would probably anticipate upsizing at some stage, so to the question:  Could we have some tips and tricks and maybe a list of HDDs(Brand, type and model no.) which are compatible and will just plug in....???

Topdog, do yourself a favour and visit the Topfield forum where your question (and I'm sure future ones) is answered. Forum is here. You will need to register.

Cheers,

John

hi Topdog...Not wanting to appear big headed here...just stating a fact...and that is I have probably done more converting and upgrading of their Toppy than anyone...... I have lots of info available, and also I am willing to advise if you need help...of course the responsibilities are yours, but after much trial and error I have a very good system going....lol

If you do a search in my profile for posts on HDD upgrades in this forum and the Toppy forum you will see hundreds of posts...well... lots of posts anyway...

I have a removable drive caddy setup with two Toppies with caddies and two caddies in my PC and I have 860 gig available to use and transfer data to and from my PC for processing...This info is also in the Toppy forum...

There are no boundaries with the Toppy and if you need info, contact me...

regards,

foss

Deangelj & Fossil:

I tried registering in the Topfield forum some time ago. Got to the part where they said I would receive a confirmation email to finalise the registration, but realised my anti spam filter would reject it as an unknown sender. I entered an email address ([email protected])which I took to be the one I would receive this email from, but as yet no response. An email to the same address has been unsuccessful to date.. Anyone able to help here.

I tried registering using a different Username, as I have only one email address I was not able to register still..("email address is already used" message). It seems they have all my details but that's about all. Is there a timeout period where all those details will erase and I can try again??

Any assistance from any members would be appreciated.

Deangelj & Fossil:

I tried registering in the Topfield forum some time ago. Got to the part where they said I would receive a confirmation email to finalise the registration, but realised my anti spam filter would reject it as an unknown sender. I  entered an email address ([email protected])which I took to be the one I would receive this email from, but as yet no response. An email to the same address has been unsuccessful to date.. Anyone able to help here.

I tried registering using a different Username, as I have only one email address I was not able to register still..("email address is already used" message). It seems they have all my details but that's about all. Is there a timeout period where all those details will erase and I can try again??

Any assistance from any members would be appreciated.

Have you emailed the administrator at [email protected]?

cheers,

John