Sign in to follow this  
anthonysimilion

What's In Hd This Week

Stable? Seven use BOB deinterlacing to get a Progressive signal. You'll see logos and text "bob" up and down to verify this.

I understand this but Seven's HD seems to be at a higher bitrate (not sure about this). As beyond what improvements can be made from making it a progressive image, the image quality seems to be better in colour and probably most importantly better in detail (lacking fewer digital artifacts) than the same SD image. So while I agree the resolution is slack, it's still a fair bit better than just changing an 'i' to a 'p'.

Keen

The bitrate Seven uses is still far too low even for 576p. You should see PRiME's 576p, whose bitrate is over 12.57mbps as opposed to Seven's 9.00mbps. This means PRiME's picture will be less pixelated than Seven's and also less compression artifacts.

Either way, both Seven SD AND 576p show way too many artifacts and pixelation to begin with, and neither are as apparent on PRiME's 576p.

Finally, calling 576p "HD" is a joke.

7 ED Forum No. 163 :P:blink::P

I agree Prime 's ED is much better than 7 poo.

It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD

It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD.It's still No better than SD

im sorry, but im not sure what point it is, that you are trying to make? :blink:

Edited by djos

im sorry, but im not sure what point it is, that you are trying to make? :blink:

His point is that seven's 'HD' is no better than its SD and I disagree completely.

ITS WORSE!!!

Stones

His point is that seven's 'HD' is no better than its SD and I disagree completely.

ITS WORSE!!!

Stones

Are you american, if you are then my above attempt at humour, comes under the heading of irony. :blink:

What's In High Definition This Week

I'll have to make a new thread every week for this, as after a few days I am unable to edit the first post (to update the information). It'll be weekly from now on. Do you think it should be every three or four days to keep it fresh in people's minds - or should I stick to weekly?

My vote would be update weekly.

Update

An updated guide, covering 8/01/06 to 15/01/06 has been posted. This thread can now be bookmarked, for easier access.

Love your work Anthony :blink:

What would be the best HD program to show friends the improved picture quality between SD and HD? Which one has the most noticeable improvement?

ON WIN HD THIS WEEK

Monday - Friday

6:00am Today

10:00am Everwood

11:30am Spin City

2:00pm The Young And The Restless

3:30pm What I Like About You

What would be the best HD program to show friends the improved picture quality between SD and HD? Which one has the most noticeable improvement?

Studio shots in 'Today' are very good quality. 'Good Morning Australia' also has very sharp video. 'Totally Wild' is one of the best examples of HD, even though it is on a so called 'HD Lite' bitrate. 'Smallville' is also quite good. 'One on One' is shown very early in the morning, but has excellent picture quality. Those are just off the top of my head - there are plenty of others.

Channel 7 upscales everything and when something is 'native HD' the logo will change from the SD logo to the HD one.

Here in Sydney we get the HD watermark regardless of it being upconverted or native HD.

They don't upscale everything either... only from (I think) 5pm and onwards. During the day it's the fugly loop.

I don't think I've ever seen the SD logo on 7's 576p channel.

I reckon there ought to be a tally at the end, just to show that HD isn't being neglected in the country :blink:

(an hour count would probably be asking for too much, though it would be nice to know just how many hours each network are putting in to surpass their HD quota)

And yet again, I didn't see another program during my sweep of the tv guide... this time, it's Karate Kid... doubt it would be of high quality though, considering it's age...