Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

256Kbps/48kHz OR AC3 448Kbps?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all and Happy New Years!!

I was wondering which stream converts at better quality to CDA or mp3 audio?

I believe the orginal audio is only 2 channels so would converting a converted AC3 file lead to worse quality than the other 256Kbps audio stream?

I hope you understand what I'm asking? I've recorded the full TS and I have two different audio transmissions and can't decide which to keep? (deliberately being vague until Federal Govt fair use copyright law comes in next year :blink: )

I'd be using the 448k 2.0 personally. Although without futher digging, its not possible to tell how much of that 448k is going to the L/R channels and the rest being left as 'nothing' from what you've posted.

its not possible to tell how much of that 448k is going to the L/R channels and the rest being left as 'nothing'

Is there a program I can use to check how much bit rate goes to each channel?

To be frank, I taped a music show, and I believe the original music tapes would be 2.0 wouldn't they? :blink:

More than likely, so you have a choice of 256k L2 or 448k AC3 2.0. Even if the L/R in the AC3 adds up to 256k, I'd be using it rather than the L2.

Sounds like the same thing I do.

I record Rage excerpts using Web Scheduler (gives me a .ts) with both audio streams. I always demux the AC3 stream and add it to my foobar2000 playlist. From there foorbar can convert it to any format I want (I just convert to mp3 for my digital music player).

Rage AC3 is transmitted/flagged as:

speakers: 2/0 (stereo)

sample rate: 48000Hz

bitrate: 448kbps

So I assume the full 448kbps is used between the two channels. So theres more bitrate than the Mpeg audio.

Sounds like the same thing I do.

I record Rage excerpts using Web Scheduler (gives me a .ts) with both audio streams. I always demux the AC3 stream and add it to my foobar2000 playlist. From there foorbar can convert it to any format I want (I just convert to mp3 for my digital music player).

Rage AC3 is transmitted/flagged as:

speakers: 2/0 (stereo)

sample rate: 48000Hz

bitrate: 448kbps

So I assume the full 448kbps is used between the two channels. So theres more bitrate than the Mpeg audio.

You are 100% correct when the AC3 is 2/0 @ 448