Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dexx

Plasma burn in?

645 posts in this topic

Where do I start, not enough space on here to answer that one  :blink:

i have been appraising one of these for about 7 weeks now, the tv has approx 250 hrs on it, and i must say in all honesty, the pq is pretty darn good, admittedly i have been using my tag dvd player, for the better part of 5 weeks, but i recently connected the samsung hd-747 to the plasma, and the quality, was fairly good, a little bit of black crush but that was down to the sammy dvd player, which has had a few problems.

i must admit the only failing i could see was the samsung has a feature called dnle, which on the previous model, could be turned off and on, wheras on the new model, on is the only option,it can be tamed via proper callibration, my only complaint would be it does not handle fast moving sports like afl or football, like the fuji or nec, but at $3999 or less it is a fairly well eqipped tv for someone that wants hd but does not want to fork out big dollars.

it is also essential to run the brightness and contrast below halfway as this tv is very susceptible to a little bit of after image, in the first 200hrs, i would recommend using the pixel shift, and or signal pattern after using this tv with austar or foxtel, at least for the first 200 hrs....

i have been appraising one of these for about 7 weeks now, the tv has approx 250 hrs on it, and i must say in all honesty, the pq is pretty darn good, admittedly i have been using my tag dvd player, for the better part of 5 weeks, but i recently connected the samsung hd-747 to the plasma, and the quality, was fairly good, a little bit of black crush but that was down to the sammy dvd player, which has had a few problems.

i must admit the only failing i could see was the samsung has a feature called dnle, which on the previous model, could be turned off and on, wheras on the new model, on is the only option,it can be tamed via proper callibration, my only complaint would be it does not handle fast moving sports like afl or football, like the fuji or nec, but at $3999 or less it is a fairly well eqipped tv for someone that wants hd but does not want to fork out big dollars.

it is also essential to run the brightness and contrast below halfway as this tv is very susceptible to a little bit of after image, in the first 200hrs, i would recommend using the pixel shift, and or signal pattern after using this tv with austar or foxtel, at least for the first 200 hrs....

Hey, I think we have the same TV! PS42S5?

yes shmick, i have been playing around with the ps42s5 hd not a bad tv given its price point, when set up properly..........

Shmick, i must admit getting into the service menu helps but you really have to know what you are doing, the samsung service menus are very extensive, but the end results are truly amazing with this plasma, an 80% improvement from standard settings out of the box.........

Shmick, i must admit getting into the service menu helps but you really have to know what you are doing, the samsung service menus are very extensive, but the end results are truly amazing with this plasma, an 80% improvement from standard settings out of the box.........

Glad your enjoying the panel! The PQ is pretty good.

Here are my settings.

Contrast:- 60

Brightness:- 48

Sharpness:- 0

Colour:- 31

Colour Tone:- Warm 2

Pink:- 5

Green:- 50

Blue:- 100

I got these after a few tries at using DVE. Similar to yours?

The service menu is in an alien language to me :blink:

I just recently purchased a LG with built in hdtv tuner plasma and have also noticed that when on a black screen I can notice some faint things from previous things I had, I never havbe a static image on for over 5 mins so just wondering if it will eventually fade away and after the burn in period has finished, wont have to worry about this sort of thing?

Regards Joe.

I just recently purchased a LG with built in hdtv tuner plasma and have also noticed that when on a black screen I can notice some faint things from previous things I had, I never havbe a static image on for over 5 mins so just wondering if it will eventually fade away and after the burn in period has finished, wont have to worry about this sort of thing?

Regards Joe.

Have you seen if they fade after 5 minutes of moving pictures? Do they remain?

Do any of the current players have a screen saver? I think i'd prefer having to hit a button on the remote every hour to risking burn in.

Do any of the current players have a screen saver?  I think i'd prefer having to hit a button on the remote every hour to risking burn in.

By "players" do you mean DVD players?

I have a Sony 730 and a Pioneer 676 and they both have screen savers which kick in after leaving the player in pause or on a menu for a certain amount of time - they go to a black screen with a bouncing logo, and if left even longer they switch off.

My plasma will switch off if it receives no signal for a specified amount of time. So in worst case, I'll come back to watch a paused movie and the DVD player and the plamsa will both be off.

Glad your enjoying the panel! The PQ is pretty good.

Here are my settings.

Contrast:- 60

Brightness:- 48

Sharpness:- 0

Colour:- 31

Colour Tone:- Warm 2

Pink:- 5

Green:- 50

Blue:- 100

I got these after a few tries at using DVE. Similar to yours?

The service menu is in an alien language to me  :blink:

settings are nowhere near shmick, as this unit has been done through the service menu, which allows for untold changers to different parameters of the screens colours, i tried your settings and they are much better than out of the box, but if you can afford a professional to come out or a mate that knows a fair bit, i would pm you the service menu codes, but it is not something you should try, if you have no experience with callibration of plasmas , ceiling mount crt, etc, otherwise you can bite off more than you can chew, and it can end up looking pretty ordinary

settings are nowhere near shmick, as this unit has been done through the service menu, which allows for untold changers to different parameters of the screens colours, i tried your settings and they are much better than out of the box, but if you can afford a professional to come out or a mate that knows a fair bit, i would pm you the service menu codes, but it is not something you should try, if you have no experience with callibration of plasmas , ceiling mount crt, etc, otherwise you can bite off more than you can chew, and it can end up looking pretty ordinary

Did you get your screen professionally calibrated? And can't you reset the service menu settings if you stuff them up anyways?

Did you get your screen professionally calibrated? And can't you reset the service menu settings if you stuff them up anyways?

Sorry not to get back to you earlier shmick, i callibrated the screen with a friend who does the callibrations for stereo supplies in queensland, this tv is not mine i have an nec 61" hd and fujitsu 42"sd as a perk of my job i occasionally take home plasmas to give them a thorough going over.

I normally do this for a week or so, but i must admit, i was surprised at the quality of this tv once properly set up, blue light aside which can be annoying.

there is a reset button in the service menu, but as i said before the amount of settings that you can change in this tv is pretty amazing.

i am surprised that samsung do not take the time and effort to play around a bit more with the settings at the factory prior to shipping, as they would sell a hell of a lot more units.

But as i said your dve settings are pretty good for out of the box, you should give yourself a pat on the back for perservering, to get it to an acceptable level that you are happy with, as it is a fairly expensive investment, and one that will give you value for money in the long run........

Sorry not to get back to you earlier shmick, i callibrated the screen with a friend who does the callibrations for stereo supplies in queensland, this tv is not mine i have an nec 61" hd and fujitsu 42"sd as a perk of my job i occasionally take home plasmas to give them a thorough going over.

I normally do this  for a week or so, but i must admit, i was surprised at the quality of this tv once properly set up, blue light aside which can be annoying.

there is a reset button in the service menu, but as i said before the amount of settings that you can change in this tv is pretty amazing.

i am surprised that samsung do not take the time and effort to play around a bit more with the settings at the factory prior to shipping, as they would sell a hell of a lot more units.

But as i said your dve settings are pretty good for out of the box, you should give yourself a pat on the back for perservering, to get it to an acceptable level that you are happy with, as it is a fairly expensive investment, and one that will give you value for money in the long run........

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!.

Yeah, I'm extremely happy with this screen. I was a bit paranoid about it when I initially got it. But I guess for the amount of money people spend on these things you kinda expect a bit of paranoia.

On the topic of plasma and burn-in, this new White Paper on Pioneer US website concludes:

The commonly held beliefs about the viability and performance quality of plasma TVs turn out to be merely myths when held up to the discerning eye of quantifiable testing. In particular, concerns about plasma lifetimes and image retention ("burn in") are half-truths  that  may  have  been  legitimate  concerns  for  early  generations  of  plasma displays, but are non-issues with today's current generation products. Yes, plasmas may show signs of retention if still images are left on the display for very long periods of time (such as 24 hours or more), but even in this extreme example, the result is only  temporary.  Today's  plasma  TVs  essentially  heal  themselves  with  subsequent viewing of regular TV material. As a result, more common scenarios of 5 to 10 minute (or even several hour) image pauses will not cause permanent damage.

So it looks like aside from perhaps some precautionary use during the first 100 hours (which doesn't even seem necessary now), it's best just to enjoy your plasma and not worry about burn-in, as long as you don't do something silly like leave a static image on it for days on end.

The paper itself is a good read on LCD vs Plasma, as well as some other common myths about plasma displays. It's sponsored by Pioneer, so of course it'll favour plasma, but still it's from August 2005, which is almost a year newer than the previous Panasonic white paper often quoted on burn-in and other issues.

I got the tip-off on this from the AVS forums btw.

When previously posting the Panasonic White Paper "Plasma Facts and Myths"

I clearly stated November 2004. The document is also marked November 2004.

I have since checked out all Panasonic Consumer Electronics Press Releases since Nov 2004 and found:

NEW White Paper: "The Future Looks Bright for Plasma TVs" 05/20/2005

Page 8 of the PDF file, “Technology is Overcoming Perceived Weaknesses” is informative, especially paragraph 4.

this is the reply that I recieved via email from the Panasonic support team

Dear Alan,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Panasonic with your enquiry.

There are no details on Running the Screen in with Australian Released Plasma Panels.

A Plasma should not be laid on it's side. The unit will have to be lifted and the lowered onto

the Pedestal stand as indicated in the instruction. If the Plasma is laid on it side it will increase the chances of being damaged.

I trust this information will be of assistance however, please do not hesitate to contact CCC on 132600 should you require further support.

Kind Regards,

Panasonic Customer Care

www.panasonic.com.au

ozboyz

There are no details on Running the Screen in with Australian Released Plasma Panels.

A Plasma should not be laid on it's side. The unit will have to be lifted and the lowered onto

the Pedestal stand as indicated in the instruction. If the Plasma is laid on it side it will increase the chances of being damaged.       

At least in USA Panasonic.com have this advice on their site "Plasma TVs FAQs"

we then asked about running in again and this is the reply we got. it also included their advice on attaching the pedestal. They are not really coming forward with any advice on running in a plasma, and seem to be skirting around the issue.

The manual for the Pedestal does indicated for ease to lower the Panel Face down for easier connection on the Pedestal. This isn't a mistake. It should only be done very quickly and lifted back upright, If not handled correctly could cause damage to the Panel. We normally advise to lift and lower the panel onto the Pedestal Stand.

Products purchased outside of Australia are different to the one's released here. This starts with the power requirements, The tuners generally only work in the Country of Purchase, there are three different colour types (PAL, NTSC and SECAM) these are set depending the Colour System used in that country.

I trust this information will be of assistance however, please do not hesitate to contact CCC on 132600 should you require further support.

Kind Regards,

Panasonic Customer Care

www.panasonic.com.au