plumgas

wall mounted surround speakers

when I built  my house I had it wired for the surround speakers from the front to the back ending with wall plates on either side of the room . 1 x plate on back wall for left surround and same on the right side. The front wall has a double wall  that connects the back surround wiring.   

recently I upgraded my speakers to wall mounted surrounds, previous I had floor mounted surrounds. Now I need to get the wire behind the wall where the surrounds sit and then bring 

the wire to the outside of the wall at the skirting board level to plug the banana plugs into the wall socket so it all connects up. I thought maybe changing the original wall plates

to doubles which would save having to cut the wall again and then using my banana plugs from the new connectors to the original connectors. (eg left side would be connected to speaker and right connectors for the surround wiring on the same wall plate. )  Is this the only way to do this or can anyone suggest a better way.

Not sure I'm reading your description correctly but is it that the speaker cables run inside the walls to near the floor and you want to bring those cables out higher up to suit your wall mounts now? If so and depending upon what style of wall mount speakers you've got, (Built in or brackets mounted for example) you could just bring the cables striaght out through the plaster after fist putting some suitably coloured shrink sleeve over the old cables to make them look good, then just put your plugs directly onto those to complete at the height you desire to hide them as much as possible, through just small holes made to pull the cables through. The less plugs and joins is usually the go with speaker cables generally speaking. Good Luck.

• Like 1

agree, if can avoid any joins if possible. I would just terminate earlier and just patch up the plaster hole and remove the original outlets :) clean end result and less chance of joins impacting on quality of the connection :)

these are the surrounds, they get mounted on the wall and mounted just with a screw.

http://www.klipsch.com.au/products/reference-surround-sound-speakers

from memory the speaker wire is in a conduit from the ceiling to the shirting board area. so I thought about dropping another wire at the surround height and running to another wall plate.  I have not intention of running the wires on the outside of the wall covered with a wire sleeve as that would look shocking. if the wire installation was just run in the walls without a conduit it would be a simple matter of cutting a hole up higher and pulling the surround wire out and attaching the speakers. currently I have both surrounds on 2 x side tables either side of the lounge which is working okay so far as they are the same height as the lounge arms. 

6 minutes ago, plumgas said:

from memory the speaker wire is in a conduit from the ceiling to the shirting board area. so I thought about dropping another wire at the surround height and running to another wall plate.  I have not intention of running the wires on the outside of the wall covered with a wire sleeve as that would look shocking. if the wire installation was just run in the walls without a conduit it would be a simple matter of cutting a hole up higher and pulling the surround wire out and attaching the speakers.

information we didnt have prior. but even if in conduit I would simply cut hole where required to suit new position. use a wall plate so have enough room to get hands in with pair of snips. disconnect the cable from lower wall plate. cut into the conduit fish the wire out further up where need and run into the new wall plate. will save a whole new re run

but then again if feel a new re run is easier then so be it :)

thanks for the reply's, so after checking it seems the wire is not in the conduits after all just cabled down to the wall plate. this makes the job much easier just have to place a hole up higher and pull the wire through. 

• Like 1

well I did have the conduit after all so ran a new wire down the wall from the new surrounds 

20170818_165700.jpg