Exciting going to setup our first home theatre.

Room dimension 3.5m wide 4.5m length 2.6 height.

0dbc45be1132bb5365fb1045ecf4f160.jpg

First I have brought sound system Harman Kardon BDS880 blurry disc player com receiver with 65w each speaker 5.1 setup.

Going to buy TW9300.

Tossing for a screen 120" or 135" CinemaScope or HDTV 16:9

Any suggestions please ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well dont know how much width you speakers take up but some screen only widths (need to add in the surround borders)

16:9 120" 2.615m... 135" 2.0375m

cinemascope  120" 2.7625m... 135" 3.106m

some rethink need?

i assume 1 row of seating.. what is the sub situation

Edited by hopefullguy

That's why I'm not going with 140" screen, yes that's a bit squeezed but it fits mine is satellite speakers. Also initially I'm planning to use floor stands so I will have flexibility to adjust them according to the seating height. Yes just one row at the extreme back where I'm going to use thick curtains to the bulk head at the back and black wallpaper to the side walls. The window has already got block out blinds gray in shade inside. Fingers crossed that's blocks the light.

3.5m wall width

Brick wall which is 3.5m inside 4070 dimension on the plan

Which wall is your front screen wall?

Brick wall the one with the tap 4070 dimension

What do you watch more of, 16:9 material such as TV and games, or scope material such as movies?

I'm planning it for only movies, which the apple TV is connected to receiver/bluray (BDS). Mostly I will be playing youtube/netflix as of now, eventually plex when I setup media server

Any idea on the screens? Majestic, Screentechnics, Grandview.. Was going through screen technics they do have a varities. I'm thinking of getting the one motorized fibreglass matt white. 

I own an AT Oz Theatre Majestic screen and it's great. If it's a dedicated home theatre room I personally wouldn't go motorised. It just complicates things and you end up with somewhat of a compromise for no reason. Just go fixed unless there's a specific reason.

Id find what dimension you are more limited in, and then find out what you'll get the bigger image with. eg. If height is limited then go scope, if width is limited go 16:9.

Where you place your fronts will probably be what sets those limits.

If you do choose a scope screen I'd paint/wallpaper the front wall black also as you'll be projecting black bars on the wall.

1 minute ago, Eli said:

I own an AT Oz Theatre Majestic screen and it's great. If it's a dedicated home theatre room I personally wouldn't go motorised. It just complicates things and you end up with somewhat of a compromise for no reason. Just go fixed unless there's a specific reason.

Id find what dimension you are more limited in, and then find out what you'll get the bigger image with. eg. If height is limited then go scope, if width is limited go 16:9.

Where you place your fronts will probably be what sets those limits.

If you do choose a scope screen I'd paint/wallpaper the front wall black also as you'll be projecting black bars on the wall.

That is is point to note. I didn't planned anything on the front wall except screen. hmm scope should definitely need the wall to be made dark.

Majestic screen, are they made of fibreglass, is really material matters in relates to control the contrast? how about the grey ones to make room dark further, I'm not a big fan for dark rooms, but for theatre I need to. 

I think it would look funny if you had black curtains and black wallpaper on all sides apart from the front. I'd be doing the front wall the same as the sides, which should hopefully lap up enough of the zoomed light for it not to be an annoyance. I'm a bit more particular and before I got my lens, even the very, very dark wall would still show some light from my DLP, enough to annoy me. Some projectors are better with blacks than others... not sure of the black levels of the TW9300.

Richard from OZTS is on the forum as @oztheatre.  Best to direct material questions to him. From my limited understanding you gain more brightness from higher gain screens. I don't believe grey screens are made to make the room look darker, more to improve contrast levels in rooms without complete light control. In your case I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you. I think I need to do a bit more research to decide on the screen. any how going to project on the wall before I buy a screen.

just a small thing to consider.. the 5.1 system you have seems a HTIB system although seemingly a very expensive one. from a review i read it seems to be a good quality HTIB though. yet as many who have a dedicated HT room will surly confirm it is rare not to upgrade items as time goes by.

so allowing for HTIB speakers now may cause problems later if you decide full size floor standers/ centre/sub  are the go down the track and that 135" screen stops you.

+1 for a fixed screen... no wrinkles or potential for them

Edited by hopefullguy

just a small thing to consider.. the 5.1 system you have seems a HTIB system although seemingly a very expensive one. from a review i read it seems to be a good quality HTIB though. yet as many who have a dedicated HT room will surly confirm it is rare not to upgrade items as time goes by.
so allowing for HTIB speakers now may cause problems later if you decide full size floor standers/ centre/sub  are the go down the track and that 135" screen stops you.
+1 for a fixed screen... no wrinkles or potential for them

Thanks mate.

They are HKTS top of the range from Harman Kardon since 2012 if I'm not wrong. They are amazingly giving astonishing sound. Been enjoying it past 2 years. They look so good build quality awesome.

I see what you are saying, yeah down the line will be going for a floor standing speakers may be Klipsh. Hmm 120" would be the perfect size suiting to future needs I believe

50 minutes ago, Eli said:

Richard from OZTS is on the forum as @oztheatre.  Best to direct material questions to him. From my limited understanding you gain more brightness from higher gain screens. I don't believe grey screens are made to make the room look darker, more to improve contrast levels in rooms without complete light control. In your case I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes ; grey screens used to be popular but projectors have improved their contrast considerably [ depending on the tech they use ] jay ; dlp's like Eli's are not the best but make up for it with other attributes . Epsons lcos tech has quite good contrast in comparison :)

Edited by cwt

I've owned a 9000 series epson before. you dont need grey screens. standard white screen from likes of oz theatre will do.

if going floor standers down the track ... allow for them now. it doesnt make sense to max out the front wall wiht largest sized screen can fit in and compromise the positioning of the mains. 

mains need  bit of room to breathe too. you cant squash them upto side walls. not going to their sound any favours.

personally i would suggest work back from listening position (main viewing position) to then work out what sort of size screen need for viewing distance.

if room is 4.5m long.... for audio/video optimum id look at where sitting at 2/3rd room length puts you. (this is using the rule of 1/3rds puts you away from back wall...not in the centre of room which are both not great places to sit. and also will put you pretty well picture wise  as will find. 

so at  2/3rd of 4.5m or sitting at 3m from the screen. consider this as some perspective, i'm watching a 92" 16:9 screen from slightly under that distance at 2.8m and you fully resolve 1080p with a screen that size as far back as 3.6m !!  what happens when you over resolve ? well you see all sorts of artifacts. on other hand there is immersion. well for a screen that width thx recommends a viewing distance of 2.8m which is where am at.

at that sort of viewing distance I would maybe push things out to say 100" but I dont think i would be going much larger than that. keeping in mind a huge slab of material wont even crack up to 1080p. yes unfortunately not everything will view pristine 1080p so something to keep in mind.

I've owned a 9000 series epson before. you dont need grey screens. standard white screen from likes of oz theatre will do.
if going floor standers down the track ... allow for them now. it doesnt make sense to max out the front wall wiht largest sized screen can fit in and compromise the positioning of the mains. 
mains need  bit of room to breathe too. you cant squash them upto side walls. not going to their sound any favours.
personally i would suggest work back from listening position (main viewing position) to then work out what sort of size screen need for viewing distance.

if room is 4.5m long.... for audio/video optimum id look at where sitting at 2/3rd room length puts you. (this is using the rule of 1/3rds puts you away from back wall...not in the centre of room which are both not great places to sit. and also will put you pretty well picture wise  as will find. 
so at  2/3rd of 4.5m or sitting at 3m from the screen. consider this as some perspective, i'm watching a 92" 16:9 screen from slightly under that distance at 2.8m and you fully resolve 1080p with a screen that size as far back as 3.6m !!  what happens when you over resolve ? well you see all sorts of artifacts. on other hand there is immersion. well for a screen that width thx recommends a viewing distance of 2.8m which is where am at.

at that sort of viewing distance I would maybe push things out to say 100" but I dont think i would be going much larger than that. keeping in mind a huge slab of material wont even crack up to 1080p. yes unfortunately not everything will view pristine 1080p so something to keep in mind.

Thank you al.

Yes make sense your calculations.

I thought the distance is based on the resolution on the screen. I guessed the size of the room that I have for a 120" screen a bit overkill. But if I get a better projector near to 4K with TW9300 so sitting at a distance of 3m perhaps works out.

Thanks for the advice, yes do consider for a fixed screen with maximum of 120" CinemaScope.

Position of the speakers are the corners of the room. And the mains are sitting on the extreme back of the room on a corner.

Also to see everything in action first going to fix only projector and throw on the wall with speakers placement. Then going for projector screen. Just want to feel it the size of the screen that I might prefer before.